The all new...

Mine was an iPad 4 16GB Wi-Fi mate. I don't exactly remember the iOs version but I guess it was on iOs 6 at least, though I am not too sure of that.
which apps did you use to stream? and what were your issues, give me more details.

http://techenclave.com/community/threads/ipad-4-vs-nexus-10.143702/

I tried all regular streaming apps which required a server-side app to be installed on the PC, but that was not what I was looking for. What I was looking for was the equivalent of using ES File Explorer+MX Player combo on my Android. I bought apps worth around 1k and in the end did find OPlayer HD which used to do exactly what I wanted but it only used to play 720p content and used to stutter when playing 1080p content.

http://techenclave.com/community/threads/ipad-4-vs-nexus-10.143702/

I tried all regular streaming apps which required a server-side app to be installed on the PC, but that was not what I was looking for. What I was looking for was the equivalent of using ES File Explorer+MX Player combo on my Android. I bought apps worth around 1k and in the end did find OPlayer HD which used to do exactly what I wanted but it only used to play 720p content and used to stutter when playing 1080p content.
You tried Air Video HD? and for no server setup, the free version of VLC?

I don't remember now exactly. I did try Air Video and VLC Streamer. Both apps required a software to be installed on my PC which would convert the video on the fly and was not what I was looking for. I found Oplayer HD to be the closest to what I was looking for. It would show me all my shared folders just like ES File explorer does and then play the videos. The only problem was it didn't play 1080p videos without stuttering. 720p content was played flawlessly. At the same time I had a Note 2 as well which used to play even the 1080p content flawlessly over the same network.

I don't remember now exactly. I did try Air Video and VLC Streamer. Both apps required a software to be installed on my PC which would convert the video on the fly and was not what I was looking for. I found Oplayer HD to be the closest to what I was looking for. It would show me all my shared folders just like ES File explorer does and then play the videos. The only problem was it didn't play 1080p videos without stuttering. 720p content was played flawlessly. At the same time I had a Note 2 as well which used to play even the 1080p content flawlessly over the same network.
I remember, i had used AirVideo HD to stream 1080p 8 GB file of prometheus onto ipad mini. Are you saying that on the fly transcoding of 1080p videos has inferior quality compared to streaming over Mxplayer?

I remember, i had used AirVideo HD to stream 1080p 8 GB file of prometheus onto ipad mini. Are you saying that on the fly transcoding of 1080p videos has inferior quality compared to streaming over Mxplayer?

Yes, I found on the fly transcoding to have inferior quality. But that is not the main issue I had. I didn't want to tax my PC i.e. I didn't want my PC to do any work other than just share the files.

Yes, I found on the fly transcoding to have inferior quality. But that is not the main issue I had. I didn't want to tax my PC i.e. I didn't want my PC to do any work other than just share the files.
Agreed here totally. When my iPad is perfectly capable of playing them then why simply burn resources of PC.

So how are you doing it in Android?[DOUBLEPOST=1385802221][/DOUBLEPOST]
VLC Streamer.
No, I meant VLC. This supports UPnP, but you have to set up a UPnP server at your PC.

Finally completed the review. Took long 15 days. Approx 6000 words in total :p Apologizes for the delay for the people who were waiting. Hope my review answers all your questions. Here is the review link : http://blog.iavin.com/2013/12/ipad-air-first-impressions-pictures-and-review/

and the all the pics (for those just want to see pics) :
aGVmiGQ.jpg

0lZtXpN.jpg

EaZd29F.jpg

tZQktO7.jpg

2mZ4G19.jpg

y0fU2Cu.jpg

j6Tp2np.jpg

FcqehVT.jpg

LUNjngl.jpg

6YhAsj6.jpg

1umKxvB.jpg

0l4VEM6.jpg

ZRj1tT5.jpg

Fmpc2Gs.jpg

VYwHeyb.jpg

xJbOIR0.jpg

CGkg056.jpg

KI3z2kj.jpg

5J0A9zf.jpg

LtqvcIb.jpg

Amazing amazing review, i think its the best review of ipad air i have seen on the internet, more so because the review had the user's love of the device mixed in after using it for a good amount of time and not just technological know-hows. The reasons why this is a superior tablet to android ones also hits the nail on the head. Loved the witty one liners too :p i.e. the disclaimer and P.S . part :D

Back