The BlackBerry PlayBook Thread

*Post is a work in progress and I will be adding things as I find them including tutorials for people who are willing to fully use this wonderful device .

Just bought a 16 GB PB for myself, so I set out making this thread to gather and share knowledge.

Things to do:

• The current OS version is 1.0.8.6xxx which is pretty useless except for basic things. So we need to update to the 2.0 Beta version.
  • The current Beta version is 2.0.0.6xxx which is as far as I know, unjailbreakable, I will be upgrading(Downgrading actually) to 2.0.0.4xxx
  • After getting to 2.0.0.4xxx, I need to root/JB it, install the android market
  • Get the .BAT files which is the BB Installer file for common applications like email, calendar, Kindle, Skype, etc

The Resource List if you want to know more:

BerryReview Forums

BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

How to upgrade from 1.0.8.6xxx to 2.0.0.4xxx

Code:
Download the "qcfm.os.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.sdk.4869.79475.sig ned.bar" and "sys.andoid.bar" from the link earlier in this thread.

Rename "qcfm.os.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.sdk.4869.79475.sig ned.bar" to "qcfm.os.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.sdk.6149.92203.sig ned.bar"

On 6149. Do a complete Backup of you Device (For later) with the Desktop Manager Software

Downgrade to 1.0.8.6067. (Switch off the device, use Desktop Manager Software)

IMPORTANT! User the Desktop Manager Software to update your device to 2.0.0.6149. During Step1 (Downloading) your Desktop manager will download the files to C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Desktop\Loader Cache. Now to the important part

RIGHT AFTER the Desktop Manager Software downloaded the file "qcfm.os.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.sdk.6149.92203.sig ned.bar" and "sys.android.bar" copy your renamed "qcfm.os.com.qnx.coreos.qcfm.os.sdk.6149.92203.sig ned.bar" from above and the "sys.android.bar" to the Local Cache folder. (Do not wait untill all bar files are downloaded, switch with 4869 files right after the individual bar file is completely downloaded)

Now wait untill the download is completed. The Installer will install your 4869 bar files onto the device.

Voila. You are on 4869. Now you can root with dingleberry.

Source: Upgrade to DingleBerry compatible Dev Beta

Wow.. Good start.. Will be getting PB 32GB soon.. Will defenitely do all sort of activities in it...

Just hoping android port would be available soon ;) Yet this is before trying PB, might change soon

@sbhas2k doesnt seem to be possible. But you get something equally good. Ability to run most of the Android apps inside BB OS itself. The official support will be there is the OS 2.0 which is to be released on Feb 17th. AFAIK, it has been delayed already by 8 months, hopefully they were delaying bcs they were pumping an ample amnt of features into the OS :D

NO BBM in 2.0 :mad: bummer... Encouraging words for Android player though.. It would've been great if .ipk can be installed directly rather than .bar repackaging...

Android port might be possible, all they need is to root the bootrom which is currently protected by some mshield technology..

ah crap, messed up a bit when I did a security wipe. Now cant upgrade to the 2.0.04 version for another 24 hours :(, well a temp setback but nothing major.

hahahari said:
@sbhas2k doesnt seem to be possible. But you get something equally good. Ability to run most of the Android apps inside BB OS itself. The official support will be there is the OS 2.0 which is to be released on Feb 17th. AFAIK, it has been delayed already by 8 months, hopefully they were delaying bcs they were pumping an ample amnt of features into the OS :D

Most of the "aggrieved" people at Crackberry are hoping for another broken promise from RIM (hopefuls are banking on the release date of Feb 29) :p

Back