The Definitive iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. There is not any cydia icon, however there is one "blackra1n" which i find to be suspicious.

If there is a Blackra1n icon, that means it is jailbroken.

2. The iStore guy told me that once i upgrade the Mobile will become too slow and will hang often.

Not true, you can upgrade your 3gs to the latest one also, 4.3.5 without too much problems...I have friends in 4.2.1 with a stable 3GS

3. I did not get your point, tiny umbrella? SHSH?

tiny umbrella is something with which you can preserve your baseband, SHSH (secure signature hash).

4. All right, i will not discuss.

You were asking for third party apps, yes you can get them. Just Google around about it.

india_rulz said:
If there is a Blackra1n icon, that means it is jailbroken.
Not true, you can upgrade your 3gs to the latest one also, 4.3.5 without too much problems...I have friends in 4.2.1 with a stable 3GS
tiny umbrella is something with which you can preserve your baseband, SHSH (secure signature hash).

You were asking for third party apps, yes you can get them. Just Google around about it.

1. Alright, thanks for that

2. So that means that i can upgrade!

3, baseband? I am very new to this so can you explain?
Now, what is the process of upgrading the OS?

As i understand from google, i need to restore the phone to the normal setting and then use some pwnagetool? and then upgrade the OS?

How do i get to know if it is factory unlocked? As i said , i have got this second hand and the dealer has no clue about it.

Handy said:
1. Alright, thanks for that

2. So that means that i can upgrade!

3, baseband? I am very new to this so can you explain?

Now, what is the process of upgrading the OS?

As i understand from google, i need to restore the phone to the normal setting and then use some pwnagetool? and then upgrade the OS?

When hacking the iPhone there are two categories to worry about. The iPhone is essentially a computer with a GSM modem attached to it. So there is the Operating System for the computer half of the phone and the Baseband is like the OS for the Modem half.

When Hackers start to crack the iPhone the first thing they usually hack is the OS, by finding a method to Activate and Jailbreak the phone. All this means is that they've found a way into the OS and gained read/write accesss to the file system. This is fine if all you want to do is use tour iPhone as an iPod Touch. If, however, you want to make and receive calls you must also hack the modem. This requires hacking the Baseband so that it will accept non-AT&T SIM cards, this process is known as unlocking.

(Source : Google)

Upgrading OS is very easy if you want to upgrade to the latest available OS and if your iphone is factory unlocked, plug your iphone to the itunes and upgarde it.

If you want to preserve your baseband (and therefore maintain the unlock) and just upgrade your OS, then the process becomes a little complex.

First you have to preserve the baseband using Tiny Umbrella and then download the relevant OS upgrade separately and then upgrade your OS through itunes.

And then you jailbreak it.

and regarding finding out if it is factory unlocked or not...there is no explicit way to find out, you can try Googling the serial number of the phone and then find out if it's FU or not. or else, restore it with itunes and try making a call, if it does, then it's FU otherwise not.

india_rulz said:
When hacking the iPhone there are two categories to worry about. The iPhone is essentially a computer with a GSM modem attached to it. So there is the Operating System for the computer half of the phone and the Baseband is like the OS for the Modem half.

When Hackers start to crack the iPhone the first thing they usually hack is the OS, by finding a method to Activate and Jailbreak the phone. All this means is that they've found a way into the OS and gained read/write accesss to the file system. This is fine if all you want to do is use tour iPhone as an iPod Touch. If, however, you want to make and receive calls you must also hack the modem. This requires hacking the Baseband so that it will accept non-AT&T SIM cards, this process is known as unlocking.
(Source : Google)

Upgrading OS is very easy if you want to upgrade to the latest available OS and if your iphone is factory unlocked, plug your iphone to the itunes and upgarde it.

If you want to preserve your baseband (and therefore maintain the unlock) and just upgrade your OS, then the process becomes a little complex.
First you have to preserve the baseband using Tiny Umbrella and then download the relevant OS upgrade separately and then upgrade your OS through itunes.

And then you jailbreak it.

and regarding finding out if it is factory unlocked or not...there is no explicit way to find out, you can try Googling the serial number of the phone and then find out if it's FU or not. or else, restore it with itunes and try making a call, if it does, then it's FU otherwise not.
That is the precise information i was looking out for. Thanks a lot, repped you.

2 more questions i have for you,

If say, my phone is FU and i go through the method of upgrading of OS considering it as a JB version, will there be any problem?
What is the precise meaning of FU? Unlocked by apple themselves?
Considering it is Jalibroken, the steps involved to upgrade the OS will include (Correct me if i am wrong)

a. Preserve the Baseband using "tiny umbrella" ( I assume, you get a app called that you need to install using itunes to preserve the baseband)

b. Then, you download the file for the OS upgrade and again install/upgrade it using itunes ( How?)

c. Then again, you jailbreak it. ( Install a app like cydia?)

FU=Factory Unlocked which means it is not locked to any network.In case your phone is FU( we cannot determine always using serial no ) then go ahead and upgrade but again there is no complete jailbreak/ unlock for the latest OS.

If it is not FU then you will have serious issues if you upgrade.

MY recommendation leave it at what it is now because you are not sure about the lock status.

Handy said:
That is the precise information i was looking out for. Thanks a lot, repped you.

If say, my phone is FU and i go through the method of upgrading of OS considering it as a JB version, will there be any problem?

Considering it is Jalibroken, the steps involved to upgrade the OS will include (Correct me if i am wrong)

a. Preserve the Baseband using "tiny umbrella" ( I assume, you get a app called that you need to install using itunes to preserve the baseband)

b. Then, you download the file for the OS upgrade and again install/upgrade it using itunes ( How?)

The latest ios is 4.3.5 for which there is only tethered JB. There is no date as to when an untethered JB could come.

iOS 4.3.5 Untethered Jailbreak - GreenPois0n.Us

This explains what tethered and untethered is and also how to upgrade the OS with useful links as well.

Also refer, Jailbreak 4.3.5 iOS iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod touch With Redsn0w [Tutorial] | Redmond Pie

Regarding, FU..it stands for Factory Unlocked (those phones which are not locked to any mobile carriers)
Metalspree said:
FU=Factory Unlocked which means it is not locked to any network.In case your phone is FU( we cannot determine always using serial no ) then go ahead and upgrade but again there is no complete jailbreak/ unlock for the latest OS.

If it is not FU then you will have serious issues if you upgrade.

MY recommendation leave it at what it is now because you are not sure about the lock status.

You can find out if the phone is FU or not, by restoring the phone again to the same OS which it is in currently (just stock ios) adn then check to see if can make a call.

Metalspree said:
I doubt u can do that as itunes will automatically update to the latest.

You can manually download the specific ios version and then upgrade to it in itunes by pressing UPDATE button while holding the SHIFT key and choose the downloaded ios.

india_rulz said:
You can manually download the specific ios version and then upgrade to it in itunes by pressing UPDATE button while holding the SHIFT key and choose the downloaded ios.

NO. you cannot. Wish it was that easier :(

Just go to cydia and check for anything called ultrasn0w installed in it, if you find it installed then delete/uninstall it, make sure you are connected to wifi. and then reboot after uninstalling ultrasn0w. if your phone gets network, its factory unlocked. if not, its locked to some carrier. Do all this only if you don't use a turbosim. if your sim slot has a very thin pcb which needs to be placed under the sim card, its locked to some carrier. my last statement holds true unless there are some people who use turbosim/gevey sim on their Factory unlocked phones.

india_rulz said:

Not possible unless your SHSH are saved and one needs lot of patience to make it work .Doesn't work in the first go u have to try a couple of times.SHSH saving works only if u save them before new releases by Apple are out like, i have iphone in 4.3.3 JBen i cant save 4.3.3 SHSH but can 4.3.4 and 4.3.5.I cant updated to new iOS and then downgrade as my 4.3.3 SHSH are not saved.

@Avi i know the pain you went through indeed its tricky.

Handy said:

First of all.. tinyumbrella would not preserve the baseband..it would preserve the SHSH blobs, which is something like an identifier for your device, which would help you to revert back to an old version of the OS, if the need be. and, tinyumbrella isnt an app on iPhone, but an application on your desktop that would help you store the SHSH blobs either locally on your computer or on one of the cloud servers, so that you can use it easily later on. This is one of the things that you must do, irrespective of your current jailbreak status. This would always help you in future.

Now, if its an factory unlocked iPhone, it would work with any sim, and you dont have to worry about unlocking it. However, if its a locked device, then you first need to jailbreak it, so that the unlocking software can be installed on it. So, its a two part process, jailbreak would allow you to play with OS and allows to install apps and software other than the apple approved ones from the appstore. With a jailbroken phone, you normally have an app called "cydia" which is a like a parallel appstore for third party apps. There are paid as well as free third party apps available with Cydia. One of the popular software for unlocking the iPhone, is called as "UltraSn0w" which is also available at Cydia.

Whenever the OS is upgraded, it ususally upgrades the baseband too. Baseband is nothing but software for the iPhone modem. When you unlock an iPhone, you are actually tampering with the baseband of the phone. So, UltraSn0w needs to support the baseband version that you have, to unlock your device. For most of the basebands in iOS 3.x the unlock is supported. But with the newer versions of the OS, > 4.x there are a few basebands that are not yet unlockable.

So, when you upgrade the OS, you need to check for the baseband version that you would get with the upgrade. If the updated baseband is unlockable, then you can probably upgrade your OS without much complications, you would need to download the default OS from the apple servers and upgrade it using iTunes. But, if the updated baseband is not supported by ultrasn0w, then you would need a custom OS, which would leave your current baseband as it is and update the rest of the OS. There are tools available that allow you to create a custom OS from the default one. Sn0wbreeze is one such tool for Windows platform. You can also use a custom rom created by someone else, if you dont want to go through the hassle yourself.

Jailbreak is done in order to allow thirdparty apps to be installed on the phone. There are various methods available to Jailbreak a device depending on the version of the OS. RedSn0w, Blackra1n, jailbreak.me etc.. are a few popular ones.

I would advise you to check the baseband version on your phone by going to settings>general>about>modem firmware. I think you would be on 05.13.04, as you are on iOS 3.1.2. You can upgrade to iOS 4.2.1, but you would have to preserve your current baseband.

Let me know if you need more help :)

avi said:
NO. you cannot. Wish it was that easier :(
Metalspree said:
Not possible unless your SHSH are saved and one needs lot of patience to make it work .Doesn't work in the first go u have to try a couple of times.SHSH saving works only if u save them before new releases by Apple are out like, i have iphone in 4.3.3 JBen i cant save 4.3.3 SHSH but can 4.3.4 and 4.3.5.I cant updated to new iOS and then downgrade as my 4.3.3 SHSH are not saved.

@Avi i know the pain you went through indeed its tricky.

I think you guys didn't get me. I was just letting him know, how to upgrade to a particular ios version, other than the latest version. I have explained in another post about saving SHSH blobs and I agree, using tiny umbrella is PITA.
digitalD said:
First of all.. tinyumbrella would not preserve the baseband..it would preserve the SHSH blobs, which is something like an identifier for your device, which would help you to revert back to an old version of the OS, if the need be. and, tinyumbrella isnt an app on iPhone, but an application on your desktop that would help you store the SHSH blobs either locally on your computer or on one of the cloud servers, so that you can use it easily later on. This is one of the things that you must do, irrespective of your current jailbreak status. This would always help you in future.

Now, if its an factory unlocked iPhone, it would work with any sim, and you dont have to worry about unlocking it. However, if its a locked device, then you first need to jailbreak it, so that the unlocking software can be installed on it. So, its a two part process, jailbreak would allow you to play with OS and allows to install apps and software other than the apple approved ones from the appstore. With a jailbroken phone, you normally have an app called "cydia" which is a like a parallel appstore for third party apps. There are paid as well as free third party apps available with Cydia. One of the popular software for unlocking the iPhone, is called as "UltraSn0w" which is also available at Cydia.

Whenever the OS is upgraded, it ususally upgrades the baseband too. Baseband is nothing but software for the iPhone modem. When you unlock an iPhone, you are actually tampering with the baseband of the phone. So, UltraSn0w needs to support the baseband version that you have, to unlock your device. For most of the basebands in iOS 3.x the unlock is supported. But with the newer versions of the OS, > 4.x there are a few basebands that are not yet unlockable.

So, when you upgrade the OS, you need to check for the baseband version that you would get with the upgrade. If the updated baseband is unlockable, then you can probably upgrade your OS without much complications, you would need to download the default OS from the apple servers and upgrade it using iTunes. But, if the updated baseband is not supported by ultrasn0w, then you would need a custom OS, which would leave your current baseband as it is and update the rest of the OS. There are tools available that allow you to create a custom OS from the default one. Sn0wbreeze is one such tool for Windows platform. You can also use a custom rom created by someone else, if you dont want to go through the hassle yourself.

Jailbreak is done in order to allow thirdparty apps to be installed on the phone. There are various methods available to Jailbreak a device depending on the version of the OS. RedSn0w, Blackra1n, jailbreak.me etc.. are a few popular ones.

I would advise you to check the baseband version on your phone by going to settings>general>about>modem firmware. I think you would be on 05.13.04, as you are on iOS 3.1.2. You can upgrade to iOS 4.2.1, but you would have to preserve your current baseband.

Let me know if you need more help :)

Perfectly explained.

Just to add, from ios 5 onwards...Apple is supposedly changing the way SHSH blobs are generated. So people can kiss goodbye to unlock their phones from ios5 onwards, as of now, you never know the dev team will come up with something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back