The Definitive N900 Thread

its bad if it doesnt launch in India.since i've bot this phone i havent touched my pc for browsing net & downloading.typing this post from the fone.

hellgate said:
do any1 of u know of any app for the n900 which wud alllow me to crop mp3s on the fone?
No such app yet AFAIK.
hellgate said:
any new on the v52 f/w update?
no such update either. There is at least one update scheduled, but noone knows when its going to roll out. The word is that the update is in beta testing, so we should be seeing it in some time.

TechHead said:
I've spoken with a friend at Nokia India, apparently all the VOIP features on the phone have the authorities running scared. Might not launch officially here at all.

Thats odd. Plenty of phones before the n900 supported VOIP, I still use apps to make voip call on my 5800XM. If i remember right my older E52 worked fine with VOIP as well..

I would think that Nokia is hesitating to release this phone in India since its not a mass appeal phone. Might not be making financial sense to release it when there wont be as many consumers for it. but that's just my guess. If it takes off in the rest of the world maybe they will release the next Maemo device in India.

phoenix844884 said:
The US version of the Moto Droid (CDMA only) has multitouch only in the browser. I know it sounds odd, but that is how it is. The EU version, the Milestone, has multitouch throughout the interface.
Thats odd. AFAIK the Droid AFAIK does *not* support multitouch, unless you are using the baked browser app. And it sure didnt work when i tried it out on the demo piece in Verizons store.

oliviasmith said:
^^ source. from where you got the phone?
i might switch to n900 very soon.:no:

Sources would be talk.maemo.org and bugs.maemo.org
There is an update scheduled, no dates and version numbers given tough.

Nokia online store. Quick delivery but pricey. Got it the day after i had a chance to play with the phone at the NYC Store.

prediff said:
No such app yet AFAIK.

no such update either. There is at least one update scheduled, but noone knows when its going to roll out. The word is that the update is in beta testing, so we should be seeing it in some time.

Ahhh.. looks like i spoke too soon. An update hours after i said there is none :).
Everyone please welcome the first post production update to the N900 please...

Not many changes that i have seen till now, and it seems to be a small update to make way for the actual upgrade viz PR 1.1.

Man this post merged thing is really ticking me off now...

See OpenOffice.org and the Gimp on the N900 An alien’s viewpoint

Wow! The N900’s potential continues to amaze me. I now have the full power of OpenOffice.org and the Gimp on my pocket at all times. I don’t have to compromise on file format. I don’t have to compromise on features. I don’t even have to compromise on performance. The only compromise is screen size. But it is not that bad, at least for my good set of eyes. After all, the size is what makes the N900 a portable device, isn’t it?.

phoenix844884 said:
I only wonder what the next Maemo device is going to be like, if this is what we have for the first one!

Yea, I've been thinking over and over about this (my decision to not get it last month) and my current plan is to wait til later this year for Nokia to launch the next N9xx device (hoping for capacitive touch and maemo6+qt) but if the new device is disappointing I will just get the N900 itself - should be cheaper by then and we already know how awesome/open/hackable it is :D

edit: some more:

Thoughts on Technology: Nokia N900 - A Handheld... Device

Thoughts on Technology: Nokia N900 - Pros and Cons

good stuff, including the comments

Back