The Definitive N900 Thread

vishalrao said:
Moto Milestone is apparently exclusive to the online retailer "Expansys" for the time being so I wont be able to play with the device in a retail store this time....

Oh! I was so looking forward to your objective take on the Moto Milestone.

Coming back to the N900, both of you, Vishalji and prediff, have made it very clear that this "phone" or should I say mobile computer, is more suited for linux and tech enthusiasts. Of course, it is one device that I would love to have, even if it means that I have to learn about Linux from scratch!

From what I have heard, Nokia is working on a QT port for N900, albeit a watered down one as compared to the next Maemo6 based device they are planning on releasing.

So obviously, the next question would be, is it worth holding out on the N900 and waiting for N9XX, whenever it comes out? Then again, we buy our gadgets and devices for what they are today, rather than what they could be tomorrow.

phoenix844884 said:
Of course, it is one device that I would love to have, even if it means that I have to learn about Linux from scratch!

Well you actually dont need to learn linux to use the phone, they have a gui for all the actual tasks like any other operating system.

They do on the other hand allow you to fiddle with things that other OS's do not allow you to, so if you are the take-things-apart-and-put-them-back-together types of people this phone is made for you..

phoenix844884 said:
So obviously, the next question would be, is it worth holding out on the N900 and waiting for N9XX, whenever it comes out? Then again, we buy our gadgets and devices for what they are today, rather than what they could be tomorrow.
Well sure, its been called by Nokia themselves as a step 4 out of 5. So you can expect that the next maemo device is more polished than this one. But then again, depends on if you really have the patience for it. H2 of 2010 is too damn far for me, so i bought this one.
Another way of putting this is,
1. if you spend too much time on your current phone and use it as a *phone* this is not probably the best device for you.
2. If you use your current device to be online and run applications, this phone is probably for you and you should wait for more applications to launch before diving into it.
3. If you are in type 2. but dont care about apps you should be placing the order right about now.:)

@hellgate

Congratulations on buying this awesome piece of gadgetry. How much did you get it for? And what guy is this? Where is he based and how does he operate?

Are you going to use GPRS with it? If so, could you kindly give us some details as to its reception quality and speeds on EDGE. Also try and connect it to a Wi-Fi network and check its connectivity, reception, VOIP quality, and battery consumption.

I am currently in a big dilemma. I am in the US now and the mobile phone markets are very tightly closed. They extract every nickel and dime out of the customers. Most handsets are tied to down service providers who suck the blood out of us at all times!

If I go in for Motorola Droid, I have the options of either getting it on contract for two years for $199, on top of that I will have to compulsorily buy an unlimited data plan for $30/month. Or I could buy it for $550 online and still have to pay $30/month for the data plan.

If I buy the Nokia N900, then T-Mobile is the only compatible 3G service provider and apart from the phone retailing for about $550 on Amazon, I will have to buy a $60/month plan for unlimited web. Sucky sucky sucky US.

Sorry for going off topic with that rant.

@Vishalji

I played extensively with the Motorola Droid over this past week. My cousin upgraded from his older Samsung Glyde, and got the Droid. So I had a good go at it. :)

The capacitive touchscreen is indeed awesome on the Droid. I would still rate it one rung below the iPod Touch screen responsiveness, albeit a very very closely spaced low rung. Scrolling in the menu was smooth without hiccups, scrolling web pages is a pure delight as that is where the multitouch on the Droid comes into action. I loved the Google Goggles application, it searched for anything and everything I pointed the camera at.

Now with exposure to Android, I am leaning towards it as compared to Maemo which still needs to be refined quite a bit.

phoenix844884 said:
@hellgate

Congratulations on buying this awesome piece of gadgetry. How much did you get it for? And what guy is this? Where is he based and how does he operate?
Are you going to use GPRS with it? If so, could you kindly give us some details as to its reception quality and speeds on EDGE. Also try and connect it to a Wi-Fi network and check its connectivity, reception, VOIP quality, and battery consumption.

I am currently in a big dilemma. I am in the US now and the mobile phone markets are very tightly closed. They extract every nickel and dime out of the customers. Most handsets are tied to down service providers who suck the blood out of us at all times!
If I go in for Motorola Droid, I have the options of either getting it on contract for two years for $199, on top of that I will have to compulsorily buy an unlimited data plan for $30/month. Or I could buy it for $550 online and still have to pay $30/month for the data plan.
If I buy the Nokia N900, then T-Mobile is the only compatible 3G service provider and apart from the phone retailing for about $550 on Amazon, I will have to buy a $60/month plan for unlimited web. Sucky sucky sucky US.
Sorry for going off topic with that rant.

i got it for 35.5k.Its Nokia USA piece, factory unlocked.US warranty is applicable.havent tried gprs.using MTNL 3G & only update i do from HSDPA is Foreca weather update & stay online on gtalk.have used it with my wifi connection (1mbps) & speed is better than the prev fones that i've used (Touch HD & Omnia HD).
cant comment on VOIP as i dont use it.cant comment on battery life cuz i got the fone 2day.reception of both wifi & cellular is gr8.

^^ @ hellgate. please pass onto me the details of that guy. m interested in getting one for me.

@phoenix.
Dr. Sahab.. so hows life going...there in US?
:D

i read somewhere.. that Moto Droid when compared to N900 had faster response timings.
btw does Droid possess a capacitive or a resisitive display?

wow congrats hellgate!

@phoenix: so the US moto droid does have multitouch, its not disabled for apple/patent reasons i see? i thot only EU version had multitouch...

now if we just had a device like the droid or rumoured moto shadow/mirage but with maemo6/qt then i would buy it instantly...

hellgate said:
i got it for 35.5k.Its Nokia USA piece, factory unlocked.US warranty is applicable.havent tried gprs.using MTNL 3G & only update i do from HSDPA is Foreca weather update & stay online on gtalk.have used it with my wifi connection (1mbps) & speed is better than the prev fones that i've used (Touch HD & Omnia HD).
cant comment on VOIP as i dont use it.cant comment on battery life cuz i got the fone 2day.reception of both wifi & cellular is gr8.

How are the speeds on MTNL 3G? I am sure they must be pretty good considering they have only about 100 subscribers. Do comment on the battery life as when you have run some tests for that.

getsetgo_008 said:
@phoenix.
Dr. Sahab.. so hows life going...there in US?
:D

i read somewhere.. that Moto Droid when compared to N900 had faster response timings.
btw does Droid possess a capacitive or a resisitive display?

Hey buddy! Life is cool. The Motorola Droid has a capacitive touch display, and boy! What a display it is! You have a Omnia HD right? I would say that this display is at par with it.

vishalrao said:
@phoenix: so the US moto droid does have multitouch, its not disabled for apple/patent reasons i see? i thot only EU version had multitouch...

now if we just had a device like the droid or rumoured moto shadow/mirage but with maemo6/qt then i would buy it instantly...

The US version of the Moto Droid (CDMA only) has multitouch only in the browser. I know it sounds odd, but that is how it is. The EU version, the Milestone, has multitouch throughout the interface.

jampack said:

Good work mate. Also available at Amazon for $549, but prices on Amazon sometimes fluctuate wildly. It will be out in India by February or March. Nokia is still assessing the response to this device in the US, forget about launching it in India. LOL

I've spoken with a friend at Nokia India, apparently all the VOIP features on the phone have the authorities running scared. Might not launch officially here at all.

Back