The end of Plasma Televisions

@harryneopotter : so i am guessing you are running an amd fusion/intel ion/haswell processor on your laptop/desktop?
you have s3 level power savings configured, and obviously a discrete graphics card is a no go. also, you are wired to your router and not on wireless?
*the end of plasmas* thread doesn't really need to go into a delhi power corporation bill details... obviously the adage - different strokes for different folks, does apply here! for 5 hrs plus usage, plasmas are not the way to go, ideally the Plasma is the unit in a house reserved for HD viewing and movies, not news and cable and sports matches!

@blr_p : Panasonic announced a year back they are shutting down plasmas world wide, not just in India. again their best plasmas are not even launched here, and honestly quite unaffordable to the common public. the question around why plasmas are shutting down can be linked to Lehman Brothers crash, but that's a detailed discussion
safe to say, the mass market was never for plasmas! I for one have always stuck to Pana plasmas and am happy for the time being with the sets! :)

Its all down to power consumption and reflections on a plasma TV. My Panasonic 50 vt plasma used to pull 250+ watts while my 50 led is barely 80 watts. With OlED on the corner companies will try and shift their focus on it

now that's a gorgeous tv - whats your opinion on the quality differences between your pana VT and the LED you now have... would be great to know your feedback!

@harryneopotter : so i am guessing you are running an amd fusion/intel ion/haswell processor on your laptop/desktop?
you have s3 level power savings configured, and obviously a discrete graphics card is a no go. also, you are wired to your router and not on wireless?

Spot on.

*the end of plasmas* thread doesn't really need to go into a delhi power corporation bill details... obviously the adage - different strokes for different folks, does apply here! for 5 hrs plus usage, plasmas are not the way to go, ideally the Plasma is the unit in a house reserved for HD viewing and movies, not news and cable and sports matches!

It wasnt me who started it. I was just replying to someone's comment. There was no need to take it personally if you did. I was just trolling @blr_p :p ...no offense to anyone bro.

@blr_p : Panasonic announced a year back they are shutting down plasmas world wide, not just in India. again their best plasmas are not even launched here, and honestly quite unaffordable to the common public. the question around why plasmas are shutting down can be linked to Lehman Brothers crash, but that's a detailed discussion
safe to say, the mass market was never for plasmas! I for one have always stuck to Pana plasmas and am happy for the time being with the sets! :)
lehman brothers ?

How about panasonic were just outgunned by LG, Samsung & Sony.[DOUBLEPOST=1383756887][/DOUBLEPOST]
if his TV runs for the same duration as the TV in my house -

170 Watts x 10 Hours x 30 Days = 51 Units x 6.40 Rs = 326.40 Rs Per month (taking Delhi Electricity rates).

Plus added load on the AC to cool the extra heat from the Plasma (the more power it uses, the more heat it will produce).
You dont't think the better picture quality was worth it, 10 hours a day everyday ?

Its all down to power consumption and reflections on a plasma TV. My Panasonic 50 vt plasma used to pull 250+ watts while my 50 led is barely 80 watts. With OlED on the corner companies will try and shift their focus on it

:
now that's a gorgeous tv - whats your opinion on the quality differences between your pana VT and the LED you now have... would be great to know your feedback!

two years back, i decided to hunt for an LED TV specifically (the EX720, and its likes), and initiated my quest by taking a stroll in a big showroom, near-steadfast in my decision, and as i had almost finished my walk past a myriad of these shiny TVs, out of the corner of my eyes, i caught a glimpse of a shy-looking set, hung without any fuss, at the top-end of a wall and at the corner of a line of TVs, and then, i couldn't take my eyes off of it, comparing its PQ to other TVs (LCDs and LED-LCDs) one-by-one! it was a sub-HD plasma, and its colours and PQ were (obviously) far more natural-appearing, than any other TV in the showroom, and seemed to me to be very close to the PQ of a CRT TV. that moment was THE moment of revelation for me, about the worth of the supposedly haggard plasma-tech (as was the impression in my mind at that time), as against the other crop of TVs. NOW had i understood why/what all the talk & discussions were, about the plasmas, among many informed video-enthusiasts.
came back home, did a thorough 'research' for a few weeks, and then one fine day, ended up bringing the grand VT home!! :)

but, for gaming, my first choice would be a good LED-LCD. :D

Last edited:
How did you figure out the plasma consumed 170watts then ?

My Panasonic 50 vt plasma used to pull 250+ watts while my 50 led is barely 80 watts. With OlED on the corner companies will try and shift their focus on it

This results in Rs.50 extra on your electricity bill with the plasma ?

if his TV runs for the same duration as the TV in my house -

170 Watts x 10 Hours x 30 Days = 51 Units x 6.40 Rs = 326.40 Rs Per month (taking Delhi Electricity rates).

Plus added load on the AC to cool the extra heat from the Plasma (the more power it uses, the more heat it will produce).

I was just calculating the difference :p

I would still suggest anybody to go for a plasma if their rooms aren't well lit. Fortunately my hall doesn't have any direct windows and therefore quite dark. I would need a tube light in the day time for this hall, therefore plasma was a perfect choice. No glare, beautiful picture and at save almost 20k for a similarly priced LED.

I even got a free Blu-ray player with the TV.

I still don't get the well-lit part. My plasma is installed in my bedroom which has a full glass window for a wall. Yet I don't see any problem. My CRT used to reflect a lot but no such issue on the plasma. I do use the Plasma in Movie mode though in which the brightness is cranked up to 90.

I still don't get the well-lit part. My plasma is installed in my bedroom which has a full glass window for a wall. Yet I don't see any problem. My CRT used to reflect a lot but no such issue on the plasma. I do use the Plasma in Movie mode though in which the brightness is cranked up to 90.

possibly that is the reason why.

Even I'm stuck on the whole "well lit" thingy. So does it mean if you have a regular tube light on at night that your plasma would look dull? How bad is it?

Even I'm stuck on the whole "well lit" thingy. So does it mean if you have a regular tube light on at night that your plasma would look dull? How bad is it?

Like I have said above, when watching in Movie mode there is no problem at all for me. No matter how much well-lit the room is. Also no IR problem till now and I have been using that setting for a few weeks now.

Like I have said above, when watching in Movie mode there is no problem at all for me. No matter how much well-lit the room is. Also no IR problem till now and I have been using that setting for a few weeks now.

Thanks for that. I was starting to disregard plasma based on that ambient lighting factor. So long as you're prepared to crank up the brightness, it's really not an issue then.
What about reflectivity though? That's another thing that is regarded as a con.

Thanks for that. I was starting to disregard plasma based on that ambient lighting factor. So long as you're prepared to crank up the brightness, it's really not an issue then.
What about reflectivity though? That's another thing that is regarded as a con.

This photo is of a well-lit room. The tube-light is on my left on the wall perpendicular to the wall on which the TV is mounted. The pic mightn't show it(due to the camera on my Nexus) but it is definitely a well-lit room.
If there is no direct light source exactly opposite to the plasma, I don't think there will be any problems.

Attachments

• 1385042458206.jpg
    1385042458206.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 144
agreed. just avoid turning ON any light that is directly in front of a plasma. lights mounted at any other locations sideways to the plasma are not bothersome. my hall is also well lit-up. when watching the usual channels on the TV, my folks prefer to turn ON the light directly facing the TV, much to my chagrin (i dont like watching the sun with the aid of several lamps :D ), but when i play a movie, its a different thing then, and i am the authority; i put out the lights (except for a weak dark-yellow night-lamp, to keep the folks also happy), put the TV on its just-apt-for-the-hour superb setting of THX-mode, and enjoy the cinematic & theatric feel! :)

Back