The end of Plasma Televisions

Are local repairwallahs as adept at repairing plasmas as lcd/led? I think that's a factor that has to be considered, given the fact that plasma tech might not be around after a few years. Are the parts other than the panel very much different from an lcd? Maybe the availability of parts may not be such an issue then?

But coming to keeping the TV for 10 years or so, is the quality of these sets nowadays good enough, irrespective of the tech? Most people I know have had problems with their TVs within 2-3 years. That scares me & I feel like buying something that is cheap but covered for 3 years (Toshiba/Panasonic) is better VFM. Or am I mistaken?

i dont think the local repair techs are qualified or competent enough to handle/service the plasma panels, otherwise would've seen some plasma TVs too lying in their shops, like the CRTs that fill them. since the life (expectancy) of the current-age of TVs has gone under a drastic change, it would be best to acquire one that's being offered with the most extensive warranty-cover, ofcourse, after deciding on other factors of PQ, features, etc. (which, in a particular segment across the various brands, are more or less similar).

I have seen insurance being offered for TVs and such expensive electronics. Just have to be sure to read all the terms and conditions properly before buying one. I didn't get one for my TV but I might after the 3 yr warranty is over.

Back