The Enshittification of Swiggy

Normal 1L milk is now costing almost 61-62/litre, if you make cream/cheese from it, you wont even get 100gms (rough idea from my cheese making endeavors) from it, how do you think even more expensive franchises are managing to give milk based ice-cream and not frozen deserts which are made of animal fat/oil churned with sugar? I doubt their prices are lower than 40rs/litre even if they do buy in bulk.
Milk based ice creams of Nic costs on an avg around 300 for 500ml pack which is around 380g & Nic is at best a mid tier brand. Animal fat is not used in making any ice cream from known established brands unless it is a quality rule violation.

Yeah, I don't know how they're making any profit with people who stack discounts like me:

View attachment 212038
Delivery person showed me that he earned Rs 118 for the above order because he initially refused to take a Rs 100 tip.
They earn up to 25% commission on restaurants which have high rate of orders online (with the commission going lower and lower for restaurants with lesser orders) and since you are willing to spend 800rs+ on one single order I assume its one of the popular restaurant so the percentage is on the higher side. Restaurants/food outlets also have to run promotions otherwise they suffer greatly either as their listing being buried or prices not being attractive enough for customers to place order (mentality here being people are more likely to order with promotion applied than not even if the final price is the same). As for the ICICI promo you applied, you are in the minority here as not everyone has a card with promotions running for it.
Brand pack is something I thought to check out initially but didn't bother as I only place low amount orders. I guess its value for money if you are a big spender but they gamble of most customers using it once so they make money on it (plus they convinced you order from their app vs other competitor or direct order).

Im curious though, why did the delivery guy said he earned 118rs when it shows 127rs on the billing? Do they not make 100% of the shown value or what? You also tipped an additional 8rs (or is it 5rs?) so the total should have been 135rs.

Zomato & swiggy are still running in losses & only recently started posting some small quarterly profits. They will become profitable only when ppl start spending more on their services which in turn will happen only if people at least in tier-1/2/3 cities have more money than now.
Their model can't really work because the more fees they slap on, the smaller their customer base becomes. Once people realize for a given bill amount, they can spend on fuel, go to a resto and eat piping hot food and have a better experience overall, they are done.

Heck, instead of paying inflated app prices, they could go to an even better resto.
Yeah, I don't know how they're making any profit with people who stack discounts like me:
I only order if there's discounts. No discount = no order

That was for McDonald's. I haven't been inside of one in years but I think their delivery prices match the in-store prices.

Im curious though, why did the delivery guy said he earned 118rs when it shows 127rs on the billing? Do they not make 100% of the shown value or what? You also tipped an additional 8rs (or is it 5rs?) so the total should have been 135rs.

Yeah, that didn't make sense to me either. The in-app tip was Rs 5, the other 3 was a donation thing that Zomato has.

His screen showed an earning of 118.6x for this single order, I can't think of any combination of taxes that would've brought 132 down to 118.

the other 3 was a donation thing that Zomato has.
I don't know if you know, but most corporates that offer this kind of "donation" use it to offset their Corporate Social Responsibility which to me personally, is ludicrous.

If you're someone who prefers anonymity when donating, most charities do allow anonymous donations. (The beneficiaries don't know who gave it to them. IT department obviously will know.)

Last edited:
I don't know if you know, but most corporates that offer this kind of "donation" use it to offset their Corporate Social Responsibility which to me personally, is ludicrous.

If you're someone who prefers anonymity when donating, most charities do allow anonymous donations. (The beneficiaries don't know who gave it to them. IT department obviously will know.)
Yeah!! CSR as an initiative was meant to be spent by the corporates from their profits towards social welfare and not ask the customers.

Clearly, it's a scam, since it takes advantage of those who are naive, thinking that paying ₹3-4 is actually helping to fund their social responsibility, while the beneficiary are mandated to allocate the funds from their books by the law.

Their model can't really work because the more fees they slap on, the smaller their customer base becomes. Once people realize for a given bill amount, they can spend on fuel, go to a resto and eat piping hot food and have a better experience overall, they are done.

Heck, instead of paying inflated app prices, they could go to an even better resto.
Finding a good restaurant with good parking space with good connectivity roads with avg travel speeds of at least 40kmph in metro cities/NCR is more difficult than finding good authentic home food taste meals on zomato/swiggy.

Back