The Enshittification of Swiggy

Zomato and Swiggy have reduced the distance for free delivery from 10km to 7km.
If your subscription still says 10km then wait until it expires and you'll see 7km while renewing.
It used to be 14km just 2 years ago when Zomato Gold was called Zomato Pro.

If your subscription still says 10km then wait until it expires and you'll see 7km while renewing.
With current traffic situation in metro/tier 1 cities even covering 7km during rush hour takes 30-40 minutes by which time any hot food will be cold so what's even the point of longer distance.

With current traffic situation in metro/tier 1 cities even covering 7km during rush hour takes 30-40 minutes by which time any hot food will be cold so what's even the point of longer distance.
This is irrelevant to the point of discussion.

I used to regularly order at 3 AM from a place 20 KMs away that used to have super delicious food. It was from the outskirts of a tier 1 city to the city center. The order used to arrive in 35 minutes and would be good to eat. This was when Zomato Pro did not have a minimum order requirement or a maximum distance requirement. I saved quite a lot of money on delivery fees, while also being extremely loyal to Zomato. So loyal that I would only consider restaurants that were on Zomato gold and not others. Now I just freewheel on whichever platform I can get cheapest. I no longer find it to be useful to get a subscription, unless it's dirt cheap and I would anyway be paying that money for the delivery fees.

I understand companies have to turn profitable and make money, but they shouldn't be doing it by shitting on loyal customers.

This is irrelevant to the point of discussion.
To op maybe as he ordered around midnight but this fact is relevant to majority which orders during rush time only or at least not during 11pm-7am time period & the reason why zomato/swiggy implemented it without any noticeable impact on their business (aka they were losing similar money as before or maybe a bit less now considering zomato share prices trend). Maybe they should introduce another plan for "larger distance deliveries" with appropriate charges but I think more than charges it has to do with customers complaints regarding such long distance delivery orders which led zomato/swiggy to reduce the distance else they could have simply launched a "gold pro" plan with up to 10-20km distance free delivery.

To op maybe as he ordered around midnight but this fact is relevant to majority which orders during rush time only or at least not during 11pm-7am time...
I'll allow it. The night time ordering was just the incident that triggered me to share the experience, and only one aspect of Swiggy's grand scheme to suck all possible profits from customer. The point was they couldn't deliver within the claimed time frame even when there's close to zero traffic, which indicated the customer was no longer the priority, they just wanted more orders fulfilled, even if delayed.

Swiggy has increased the minimum order value to 199 for free delivery now, so ordering for just one person is problematic: you either have to order 2 dishes, or pay delivery fee...which defeats the whole point of the membership.

Oh and platform fee is hiked to Rs. 6

Back