The Enshittification of Swiggy

17 minutes delivery time for a blinkit order is very high. They usually deliver in 8-12 minutes. Was your order a big one? I have noticed bigger orders take slightly longer on average. Also since they have ice packs and special bag for cold items that ice cream should not had been melted on arrival. I see you took 10 mins to contact customer care (12:50am delivered time vs 1 am in chat) now i dont know where you live but 10 mins in room temperature is enough for an ice cream to melt here where I live.

I think they closed your inquiry because you consumed the damaged/melted goods which would mean ice cream was in consumable condition.
I had ordered the ice cream cone for my father and he wanted to eat it and I also wanted to eat my ice cream, thus I first ate it and then contacted the "customer support"(which were just bots), yes it was in consumable condition but that doesn't mean that it was not damaged or opening had not been tampered with and there was a delivery surge going on so I thought that they wouldn't come back for a single cone of ice cream, I mean it's in damaged condition what would they even do with it. Anyways I did get my refund the next day so it's alright now I guess. The reason behind my logic was actually that a similar thing had happened with me in the past with swiggy but they had their customer support ready and I talked to an executive and got my refund even after I had consumed the ice cream, without any problem so I thought that the same thing would apply here but I was wrong.

Last edited:
I had ordered the ice cream cone for my father and he wanted to eat it and I also wanted to eat my ice cream, thus I first ate it and then contacted the "customer support"(which were just bots), yes it was in consumable condition but that doesn't mean that it was not damaged or opening had not been tampered with and there was a delivery surge going on so I thought that they wouldn't come back for a single cone of ice cream, I mean it's in damaged condition what would they even do with it. Anyways I did get my refund the next day so it's alright now I guess. The reason behind my logic was actually that a similar thing had happened with me in the past with swiggy but they had their customer support ready and I talked to an executive and got my refund even after I had consumed the ice cream, without any problem so I thought that the same thing would apply here but I was wrong.
This is why I dont like to order cones, 500ml-1L ice creams boxes are best.

Not seen this before or I didn't notice it.

It's a one time thing only I think

Swiggy Priority mode.png

Arrived in 12 minutes :happy:

Here I was thinking I got unlucky on my last order. Didn't realise it is the same for many others too.
My last order was placed on a weekday, so there was no issue of too many orders. Placed an order at 6.50 PM and since my location is a little far away, I usually add a 50rs tip to the delivery guy. Did the same thing this time too. Order was confirmed and food was being prepared by the restaurant. Swiggy then says that the delivery partner will be assigned by 7.08 PM, and order delivered by 7.40 PM. However, delivery partner was not assigned even after 7.35 PM, saying that all partners were busy and they will soon find one. By 7.45 I got fed up and cancelled the order saying that even if they assign a delivery agent at that time, it would take at least 8.30 PM for the order to reach me, and since the food was already ready, it would be cold. However, I was told that since the food had already been prepared, a 100% cancellation fee would apply. Tried arguing through chat, but got the same reply again and again, so got fed up and cancelled it anyway. Waste of time and waste of money.
Although I order maybe once in a couple of months or so, I have resolved to minimize this further after this sour experience.
I once had a chat with delivery boy about tip system. He said they weren't given any tip provided by customer instead it went to swiggy only.

I once had a chat with delivery boy about tip system. He said they weren't given any tip provided by customer instead it went to swiggy only.
That's odd. A couple of delivery guys asked for tip, but when I told them that I had already added it while ordering, they were okay with it.

Never like Swiggy or Zomato, but used Zomato sometimes. It is best and cheaper to order from restaurants directly. The food is hot too, directly from restaurants. And also the quantity is more most of the times.
It sucks that many restaurants stopped deliveries, and uses Zomato exclusively.
We need to create a list or an app with map of all restaurants that still take delivery orders.
iirc, many countries in Europe do that... I think there is an app on F-droid for Germany...

I wonder if swiggy takes a cut. I tip them directly and not via app for occasions like if they rode through rain or far off places.
For Swiggy/Zomato, both explicitly mention that 100% of the tip goes to the delivery partner. I hope that's true, because I always tip them via the app, and most of the time they thank me for the tip via a message, or while handing over the food.

For Swiggy/Zomato, both explicitly mention that 100% of the tip goes to the delivery partner. I hope that's true, because I always tip them via the app, and most of the time they thank me for the tip via a message, or while handing over the food.
Exactly this. I believe delivery executives get 100% of the tip otherwise that's a big scandal waiting to happen. I have also seen those videos on YT where zomato/swiggy delivery executives show what their day is like and you can see they get tips on their apps. Something like 20-25% of their whole earning in a day come from tips on average.
I do like to tip them cash in their hand but sometimes I feel bad tipping only 10-20rs so I tip through the app.

I do not trust these apps when it comes to tipping DP's. A couple have mentioned they don't get it. So I give them if I have cash with me. Not regularly, but under exceptional circumstances.

I usually order from Zomato but in 2022 they shut down Zomato gold (free delivery) so I had to order from Swiggy.
I bought 3 months of Swiggy One membership and ordered pizza, their delivery associate didn't handle the box correctly and brought me pizza in this condition.
I asked for partial refund and they gave me 50% back12.jpgI ordered couple more times from Swiggy and after 2 months I received half sized pizza (Ovenstory calls it semizza) instead of medium size, I contacted Swiggy and they rejected my request.
I sent them pictures of my order and showed how it is packaged in a small box meant for half sized pizza but their system had blacklisted me for applying any kind of refund so they didn't even bother taking a look at my images.
56.jpg67.jpg
Even sticker on the box says my order is for medium pizza but they didn't do anything.
I would have understood if my account was new and I was applying for refund several times but that wasn't the case.

I usually order from Zomato but in 2022 they shut down Zomato gold (free delivery) so I had to order from Swiggy.
Are you sure they shut down zomato gold? Because I still have it and still get free deliveries on zomato. So far i have saved 2465 INR using it and had 55 deliveries in total with it.

P.s They did you dirty with that pizza, If it were me I would have caused a scene on twitter. Nobody f**** with my pizza.

Are you sure they shut down zomato gold? Because I still have it and still get free deliveries on zomato. So far i have saved 2465 INR using it and had 55 deliveries in total with it.

P.s They did you dirty with that pizza, If it were me I would have caused a scene on twitter. Nobody f**** with my pizza.
Zomato pro/plus was discontinued in early 2022 and they rebranded it as Gold in late 2022.

Here are a few things that may be helpful when ordering with Swiggy:

Any order that's taking over 61 minutes to be delivered can be cancelled with a full refund.

If an order is delayed, and you contact through 'Where is my order?', you'll be offered a coupon if you stay responsive in chat until it is delivered.

For food that has gone bad due to the heat wave, since it's a type of complaint where there's a lot of people saying the same thing, they don't actually check the photo they ask you to share, so I just upload my avatar instead and get the refund that way.

For people who are new to ordering food, especially in the south, if it smells like cheese, it's gone bad and will cause food poisoning.

For everyone else, trust your instinct. If you get the slightest whiff that something doesn't smell right, then it's gone bad and you should pursue a refund. Don't second guess or ask someone else, trust your instinct.

There is a large amount of delivery people who run deliveries for multiple apps, so if your order is not picked up on time, you need to tell the customer support person to change the delivery person.

Completely avoid placing orders where delivery isn't free or where there isn't a coupon, this pushes Swiggy's algorithm to offer you coupons that other members aren't offered.

My rating system: 1 star for food poisoning, 2 star for disappointment of any kind (taste, quality, quantity), 3 star for a viable option when nothing else is available, 4 star is for something almost perfect but is too expensive to order regularly, and 5 stars for something you can eat all day every day.

Delivery always gets 5 stars or stays unrated if they place the parcel directly on the footwell of a scooter.

Back