The Enshittification of Swiggy

Swiggy has started this new bullshit of grouping orders, even if I select standard delivery.

For the last few orders, back-to-back, they've been grouping my orders, and sending the delivery boy to some far-off place to deliver a "nearby" order and then drop off mine. The reason every time? High demand The result? Lukewarm food. Just now, I ordered from a restaurant less than a KM from my place. Initially, it was showing 17 mins. It suddenly jumped to 30 minutes after the order was picked up. Why? They grouped it again due to "high demand" (same bullshit reason, every time). The rider is now delivering to the "nearby" order 4 km away from my place first. I mean WTF, I'm less than a KM away. Cold food, again.

/endrant

Last edited:
I think maybe they have some issues with riders - shortage or something - compared to Zomato for sure. Many times they show "riders unavailable" or "high demand" when Zomato is able to deliver.

I was told an intriguing matter when it comes to tipping by tbe Swiggy DP. They told me that if you want to tip, you need to do it while you are making payment. If you tip the partner after delivery is made, the money goes to Swiggy.

I was like, I'll tip because of exceptional service not because I have a money plant. And that can be only determined, how much satisfactory his performance was when it comes to delivery.

Regardless, I decided to tip post delivery, because I am sure 99% will tip after delivery and not pre-delivery. If I have hard cash, I give him.

Last edited:
Swiggy has started this new bullshit of grouping orders, even if I select standard delivery.

/endrant
Complaining about a service that you paid for, but didn't meet expectation isn't ranting.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it will help others make a more informed decision

I think maybe they have some issues with riders - shortage or something - compared to Zomato for sure. Many times they show "riders unavailable" or "high demand" when Zomato is able to deliver.
I'm noticing this as well; there's quite a delay takes to assign a rider. Earlier it would happen as soon as the order was confirmed.

I was like, I'll tip because of exceptional service not because I have a money plant. And that can be only determined, how much satisfactory his performance was...
Always tip in cash, directly to the person, after they provided admirable service.

Don't forget about these online platforms using analytics weaponised against you!

Meaning, if you don't tip on the platform itself, they will likely reduce the discounts/coupons offered at various places and at regular intervals.

Another area is the rating system. If you rate an outlet highly (5 stars) swiggy will know you liked and likely to order again and order larger value, hence again avoid giving you discounts.

I don't know, it might just be overthinking it, but I want to bet my left nut these platforms are doing this. Like how you read about dark patterns and what not.

Don't forget about these online platforms using analytics weaponised against you!
I can't speak to the points you have mentioned as I haven't monitored it so closely.

But I know for a fact that coupons are offered for restaurants that you don't frequent. If you begin frequenting, the coupon either goes to a higher price range.

For example, a restaurant I order from has 60% off upto 120. Once I place a certain number of orders, the coupon changes to 150 off om orders above 399.

Not ordering or using the platform for a few days brings it back to 60% off upto 120.

Have noted this on both swiggy and zomato.

Unfortunately I'm too lazy to get up and go get my food and they capitalize well on my need.

Also, this might be A/B testing, but not everyone gets the same offer for the same restaurant. Sometimes my friends get coupons that I don't, despite them not using then the platform regularly.

I too have noticed coupons disappear for my frequently ordered places. Jokes on them though, I order only if there's a discount, and I have a large enough collection of favourite restaurants that one of them will always poorer discount.

I always have a stash of ready to eat/microwavable stuff, so don't mind NOT ordering at all. Especially helpful if it's raining.

Meaning, if you don't tip on the platform itself, they will likely reduce the discounts/coupons offered at various places and at regular intervals.

Another area is the rating system. If you rate an outlet highly (5 stars) swiggy will know you liked and likely to order again and order larger value, hence again avoid giving you discounts.

I don't know, it might just be overthinking it, but I want to bet my left nut these platforms are doing this. Like how you read about dark patterns and what not.
I believe this has been happening. Although, I rate orders/outlets for my future reference, I do think something fishy is going on.

Not that I am after discounts, but sometimes you just need a light snack. But if the price is less than a limit, Swiggy jacks it up in the name of viability of delivery. Then out of nowhere, "women's bargaining syndrome" hits me and I start questioning/debating if 2 plates of tomato upma costing ₹80/plate is worth ₹225/- just because order amount is less than 200. To reduce that 225, I have to order extra, which is not what I want.

So with Game of Thrones going on in my mind , I keep on drinking water and kill the hunger. In that way, Swiggy's taking care of me by ordering only when I am starving to death.

There's another glitch (scam?) I've noticed on Swiggy over the last few days. On the restaurant list, restaurants that normally give little to no discounts have been suddenly advertised as giving "flat 1xx off above 249/399", and "items at 159/169". This is on the restaurant thumbnail. When you actually go into said restaurant to check/order, no such discount exists, barring the useless ones on cards that most don't use.

This works on all items if total cart value is above the specified limit, but need to apply the coupon manually

Go to Menu > Items at xxx to show these items. The coupon gets auto applied

All payment methods are valid from what I've seen
I know, what I meant was that these coupons do not exist, no matter the cart value, despite being advertised. No manual coupons exist, either. I don't know if it's a glitch or false advertising.

As you can see below, it is advertised as 175 off on orders above 499. However, in the next image, it's evident that no such discount exists (my cart value is over 700).

1.png

2.png

3.png

Back