The Fitness Thread !

It is a waste because there are people who have transformed their physiques on something like 50-100 g of protein per day.
How much is that?
Lets see - if a person only eat rice every day. He would need to eat about 2400/4 = 600 g of rice every day.
600 g of rice will have about 60 g of proteins. So my point is that normal food that you eat (yes even the veg one) can supply you with necessary proteins.

Anyway I really don't need to justify any calculations or data about proteins because clearly NO ONE here on this thread appears to have done any basic level of testing of extra proteins having a basic guise of scientific method on themselves.

Since you claim that ON Whey that you have taken appears to have improved something in your training - would you explain what that means?
Does it mean that you were stagnating on your lifts, but ingesting extra ON whey proteins suddenly caused you to start progressing on your lifts again?
Or does it mean, that you were not seeing any visible improvement in your physique, and the only ways in front of you were to cut down (reduce fat, and therefore muscles also) or bulk up (gain muscle and therefore fat also). However, taking ON whey solved both the problem altogether by increasing the size of your muscles, while reducing the fat?

Please don't take this as directed shot at you (although my words may appear so), I keep asking the same question to almost everyone at gym, no one has any answer. They are unable to articulate what are the "improvements" and they are unable to answer whether that improvement was solely because of extra proteins or because of general increase in calories (proteins are also calories at the end of day)
They just parrot repeat what has become accepted in bro-circles: High proteins = big muscles.

You want to know another similar related bro-advice?
Increase your protein especially while cutting. Because the body first burns muscles and then burn fats.
WOW, if this was true, humans would have never survived any famine!
600 gram rice with 60 gram protein will be the dry weight right of rice and not the cooked one which will gain a whole lotta more mass with water if im correct ? well after not using supplements and then using them i have found much much faster recovery and turnaround. dont feel sore for days after a good workout and i can easily get my protein requirements for the day. earlier to get protein i used lotta paneer , dals , milk , oats and stuff but it did not help much. Even made me gain unwanted fat as i was taking in too much calories to get all the protein . ON helped me in keeping calories under control while bulking up to not gain too much unwanted fat.

buddy you can drink all the protein shakes you want and pop in multi vitamin pills and ten years down the road when your digestive and immune system is finally ****ed up and you find out you are falling sick more often then you will remember that somebody on TE had told you not to take those supplements

buddy you can drink all the protein shakes you want and pop in multi vitamin pills and ten years down the road when your digestive and immune system is finally ****ed up and you find out you are falling sick more often then you will remember that somebody on TE had told you not to take those supplements
please also inform me how muscle mass from people supplementing their diet is lesser lasting and inferior. are their muscle made up of a different material ? :D

tonnes of people have been taking supplements from decades , havent heard much of a digestion and immune system failing in just 10 years.

600 gram rice with 60 gram protein will be the dry weight right of rice and not the cooked one which will gain a whole lotta more mass with water if im correct ? well after not using supplements and then using them i have found much much faster recovery and turnaround. dont feel sore for days after a good workout and i can easily get my protein requirements for the day. earlier to get protein i used lotta paneer , dals , milk , oats and stuff but it did not help much. Even made me gain unwanted fat as i was taking in too much calories to get all the protein . ON helped me in keeping calories under control while bulking up to not gain too much unwanted fat.
I have assumed that an average person needs 2400 kcal of intake in order to live and do daily work.
1 gram of pure carbohydrates gives approx 4 kcal of energy.
Therefore a person will require 600 g of pure carbs if he has to live.
Incidentally rice also contains about 10% of proteins.
If I had taken wheat - the figure will become higher to about 15%
If I had taken pulses and legumes, the figure will become even higher - about 20%

Since he is eating 600g carbs, he will also get 60-120 g of proteins.

Now coming to your point about cooked rice, water etc. That doesn't make any difference to my calculations.
Water has zero calorific value. You are right that 600 g of raw rice will become 1800 g of cooked rice (usually rice to water ratio is 1:2 while cooking, therefore finished product will be 3 times of raw). But that doesn't change my caloric intake equation!

Even considering Maida - it has about 7% proteins!!

Now your point about faster recovery. Are you sure it is not placebo? Or rest/sleep related?
Faster recovery can only happen via three modes:
1. Using lesser intensity and/or lower volume
2. Having caloric excess
3. Hormones

Your body's ability to use proteins for building muscles to a large extent depends mainly on testosterone. This is genetic. Whatever it cannot use for building muscles, simple gets converted to glucose.

Last edited:
Sorry for making another post, but I believe this deserves a separate distinct paragraph.
(If someone is interested in maths)
There is something called as essential amino acids.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_amino_acid
This is something that body cannot produce on its own. All other amino acids can be produced by the body as and when it requires!

These are required by the body and need to be taken via external means.
Any idea how much of this is required to live?
WHO recommends 0.2g per kg of body weight. That means about 20 grams for 100 kg person.
Fine, this is for a person's survival. And we are doing bodybuilding here.
Ever imagines how much lean muscle mass an average person put's in during his course of natural bodybuilding?
Close to 5kg. Definitely not more than 10 kg. Most of these gains happen by 2-3 years.
Muscles are composed of 70% water. Which means out of those 10kg, 7 kg is just water and only 3 kg was dry lean muscles!

3 kg = 3000 g. Do you see how small this number is?
3000 g / 2 years = 1500 grams every year.
Since we eat everyday - we will require 1500/300 = 5 grams every day.
OK let us assume that our bodies are grossly inefficient and thus wastes about 80% of intake. (Very wrong assumption!)
We will require 25 g of essential proteins per day OVER the requirement for survival (WHO figures).
Total? 45 grams.

Of course there are assumptions, and if look closely and accurately this figure will come down further.

Oh but then Mr ABC recommends taking 2 grams proteins per kg and what a fine physique he has!
Don't fall into this naive trap of marketing.
Mr ABC, to begin with, was always athletic, sported an admirable/enviable physique even during teenage, and furthered it as a career. Does he ever talk about his "protein intake" when he was growing up during teenage? (That is when a person puts on maximum muscles in shortest time). This is the power of genetics (actually the power of testosterone, but the natural one produced by gonads - and therefore genetically programmed while one was a single celled zygote in mother's womb).

Also, since Mr ABC is into a career where looks/performance is important, I am willing to bet everything in this world that he is also using PED. Even if he was not into a career, I can tell you (as I have seen in gyms across India), there are people who have dabbled with PEDs.

Only when you take/know someone who takes hormone do you realize the foolishness of this whole supplement business and laugh about people worrying themselves to death about this minutiae.

Last edited:
OK let us assume that our bodies are grossly inefficient and thus wastes about 80% of intake. (Very wrong assumption!)
We will require 25 g of essential proteins per day OVER the requirement for survival (WHO figures).
Total? 45 grams.

What about maintenance of muscles we already have? We need protein for other body functions beside building muscle mass afaik.

What about maintenance of muscles we already have? We need protein for other body functions beside building muscle mass afaik.
When WHO says that you need 20 grams, they are talking about maintenance only. Otherwise we will have people who gradually keep losing their hamstrings, quadriceps, stomach, heart, intestines etc with time leading to death.

When WHO says that you need 20 grams, they are talking about maintenance only. Otherwise we will have people who gradually keep losing their hamstrings, quadriceps, stomach, heart, intestines etc with time leading to death.

You once mentioned that you eat once a day and workout only once a week. What exercises do you do in that workout? And what do you consume in that meal?
PS not trying to insult you or anything like that, just curious because you clearly know a lot about this.

You once mentioned that you eat once a day and workout only once a week. What exercises do you do in that workout? And what do you consume in that meal?
PS not trying to insult you or anything like that, just curious because you clearly know a lot about this.
Did I mention I work out only once a week? Not possible; I must've said that since I travel there are periods where I can only workout once a week. And even with that minimal stimulation, I have not encountered any loss of strength or muscles. That must've been in response to someone saying that you NEED to workout every day, or every second day or some other hard rule of that sort.

Meal? Everything. Eggs, chicken, beef (not any longer though, drat Pres of Ind), rice, roti, veggies, sweets, yoghurt, ... nothing unusual there. It is something similar to what anyone else eats during the course of entire day.

Bodybuilding is simple people
1. Calculate your TDEE
2. Eat a diet 300-500 cals in excess of your TDEE, this is easy WITHOUT SUPPLEMENTS and even with a vegetarian diet. You dont need loads of protien unless you are competing
3. Workout : any routine would do but you have to lift weights to increase muscle mass
4. Keep adjusting your diet and workout according to your goals
5. To lose weight eat a deficit of 300-500 cals wrt to your TDEE and workout, lift weights, cardio, hiit anything

Thats all you have to do, its that simple

I have assumed that an average person needs 2400 kcal of intake in order to live and do daily work.
1 gram of pure carbohydrates gives approx 4 kcal of energy.
Therefore a person will require 600 g of pure carbs if he has to live.
Incidentally rice also contains about 10% of proteins.
If I had taken wheat - the figure will become higher to about 15%
If I had taken pulses and legumes, the figure will become even higher - about 20%

Since he is eating 600g carbs, he will also get 60-120 g of proteins.

Now coming to your point about cooked rice, water etc. That doesn't make any difference to my calculations.
Water has zero calorific value. You are right that 600 g of raw rice will become 1800 g of cooked rice (usually rice to water ratio is 1:2 while cooking, therefore finished product will be 3 times of raw). But that doesn't change my caloric intake equation!

Even considering Maida - it has about 7% proteins!!

Now your point about faster recovery. Are you sure it is not placebo? Or rest/sleep related?
Faster recovery can only happen via three modes:
1. Using lesser intensity and/or lower volume
2. Having caloric excess
3. Hormones

Your body's ability to use proteins for building muscles to a large extent depends mainly on testosterone. This is genetic. Whatever it cannot use for building muscles, simple gets converted to glucose.
but you also need good fats and micro nutrients that wheat , rice totally lack . eating close to 2 kg rice for 60 gram protein ?? remember even wheat will have considerable mass as we dont eat dry wheat. no its not placebo at all , have gone on no supp and supped workouts for considerable time and can feel the difference. why dont you try a good stack yourself again if you are training regularly and with decent volume. training volume not much change and neither do i eat a lot . in fact i might actually be eating less when taking supps. hormones i cant really measure regularly but they wont fluctuate that much.

These are required by the body and need to be taken via external means.
Any idea how much of this is required to live?
WHO recommends 0.2g per kg of body weight. That means about 20 grams for 100 kg person.
Fine, this is for a person's survival. And we are doing bodybuilding here.
Ever imagines how much lean muscle mass an average person put's in during his course of natural bodybuilding?
Close to 5kg. Definitely not more than 10 kg. Most of these gains happen by 2-3 years.
Muscles are composed of 70% water. Which means out of those 10kg, 7 kg is just water and only 3 kg was dry lean muscles!

Total? 45 grams.

Of course there are assumptions, and if look closely and accurately this figure will come down further.

as much as i would like to believe in your theory but it doesn't make sense to me. are you saying that the weight of the lean muscle in grams is equal to the weight of the protein we consume!?
on another note.. our body is composed of 70% water doesn't mean you take out the water in the equation to measure the requirements of the nutrients. that would be absurd ain't it?

in general an average person consumes a lot of food [read carbs] than our body needs based on the physical activity we do everyday. but then we [our body] are used to it. finally every person's body is different. it reacts differently to the food we consume the activities we do. the requirement of [quantity/quality] of food/nutrition/supplements would be different. what works for you essentially need not work for others.

as much as i would like to believe in your theory but it doesn't make sense to me. are you saying that the weight of the lean muscle in grams is equal to the weight of the protein we consume!?
on another note.. our body is composed of 70% water doesn't mean you take out the water in the equation to measure the requirements of the nutrients. that would be absurd ain't it?

in general an average person consumes a lot of food [read carbs] than our body needs based on the physical activity we do everyday. but then we [our body] are used to it. finally every person's body is different. it reacts differently to the food we consume the activities we do. the requirement of [quantity/quality] of food/nutrition/supplements would be different. what works for you essentially need not work for others.
1. I am going by the nitrogen balance method. Proteins are amino acids, your muscle cell structures are also amino acids. Muscles also contain fat, glycogen and water. Therefore actual dry muscle mass that is comprised from amino acids will become even smaller than my calculations
2. Why taking out water becomes absurd? Do you think the body will rely on amino acids to hydrate the cells? Even when it has ready supply of easily usable water?
3. You are right about everybody's body is different. But I am simply appalled by the general lack of intelligence and scientific outlook in all the gym goers! No one has done any kind of written down measurements checking the efficacy of the claims, but still the yarn mill keeps spinning and spewing bullshit everywhere.

are you sure of these numbers. cooked rice having this much of protein!? 10% !? :shocked:
No sir, I said 600g of raw rice.
I think you are either getting confused or trying to confuse me :)

Since, you are comfortable in terms of cooked rice figures:
1. calorific value of cooked rice = 1.3 kcal/g
2. Basic human needs to live = 2400 kcal
3. therefore minimum consumption of cooked rice= 2400/1.3 = 1846 grams, otherwise our person will shrink and die soon
4. Protein content in cooked rice = 2.7%
5. Therefore total proteins ingested unknowingly by our skeptic gentleman = 1846 x 2.7% = 49.84 grams

Surprised?
Well you have just woken up from the Whey protein marketing campaign induced stupor.
BTW, when you show this to a Whey/Proteins groupie, he will always remark - so what these rice proteins are incomplete, not best digestible, not bio available, not the best quality, etc.

Fine, so do you want me to go over what a typical veg person will consume over his day? The results will be better than the above numbers because rice has one of the lowest protein content.

but you also need good fats and micro nutrients that wheat , rice totally lack . eating close to 2 kg rice for 60 gram protein ?? remember even wheat will have considerable mass as we dont eat dry wheat. no its not placebo at all , have gone on no supp and supped workouts for considerable time and can feel the difference. why dont you try a good stack yourself again if you are training regularly and with decent volume. training volume not much change and neither do i eat a lot . in fact i might actually be eating less when taking supps. hormones i cant really measure regularly but they wont fluctuate that much.
Arre boss, all I was showing you is that even if you would consume an assumed pathetic diet of only cereals like Rice, you would get your proteins.
In real life you WOULD consume other stuff like pulses & legumes that will give you enough proteins. And enough variety in the amino acids that will make it complete profile and bio available. (Otherwise all vegetarians would've started shrinking from the day they were born).

Regarding the point about feeling difference. Unless there was a quantifiable and significant change in either body measurements or loads lifted, it is always placebo.
I have done the same, by using real food proteins, instead of Whey and other boxed powders over a long period of time while doing Bodybuilding routines and powerlifting routines.

Now if you say that boxed protein powders are something different compared to egg whites, fish, chicken, mutton and beef ... I can only throw my hands up in the air and back off.

I think I should also start a Whey protein marketing firm, my dairy guy simply throws away all the whey he makes as a byproduct ...

Last edited:
No sir, I said 600g of raw rice.
I think you are either getting confused or trying to confuse me :)

Since, you are comfortable in terms of cooked rice figures:
1. calorific value of cooked rice = 1.3 kcal/g
2. Basic human needs to live = 2400 kcal
3. therefore minimum consumption of cooked rice= 2400/1.3 = 1846 grams, otherwise our person will shrink and die soon
4. Protein content in cooked rice = 2.7%
5. Therefore total proteins ingested unknowingly by our skeptic gentleman = 1846 x 2.7% = 49.84 grams

Surprised?

1.8 kg of rice consumption per day is surprising for me. probably i have never paid attention.

Well you have just woken up from the Whey protein marketing campaign induced stupor.
BTW, when you show this to a Whey/Proteins groupie, he will always remark - so what these rice proteins are incomplete, not best digestible, not bio available, not the best quality, etc.

what makes you think that i am supporting consumption whey protein as opposed to wholesome food consumption!? i am questioning your method of calculations.

Guy I have this strange sensitivity in my knee following a squat session + cardio a week or two ago. Its like I can constantly feel the muscles in the knee and they sometimes pain a slight bit when put in some positions(didnt used to before.) Also some other times there is very low static pain. No swelling or anything.
I stopped working out since two weeks, but its not going. Has anyone experienced the same before? Like its just the right knee.
Get some massages done, use hip drive, keep upper back super tight and lift your elbows as you go up with your chest out, chin somewhat down. Your knees should go in line with your toes while you squat. Post videos in respective sites. Even the coaches who write world class books keep on learning new things everyday. Don't use smith machine. Once the load goes above 80/100 kgs (your mileage will vary) things may get weird. If you can't find a gym with squat rack, switch to calisthenics. Doing some sets of pushups, chins, pull ups and bar dips in a park or at home is WAY BETTER than doing machines in a gym trust me. There are beginner versions of all these exercises.

Last edited:
Guy I have this strange sensitivity in my knee following a squat session + cardio a week or two ago. Its like I can constantly feel the muscles in the knee and they sometimes pain a slight bit when put in some positions(didnt used to before.) Also some other times there is very low static pain. No swelling or anything.
I stopped working out since two weeks, but its not going. Has anyone experienced the same before? Like its just the right knee.

You could try knee sleeves like these and see if they help with the pain
Also regular yoga would help you with strengthening joints and increasing flexibility, lots of lifters have reported better form and increased weight lifting capacity when their weight lifting routine was done with yoga

You could also try foam rolling to see if it improves the knee pain, check out this guide

Last edited:
^ So you want me to post all his videos here to give a 'balanced coverage'?
Come on people, you are on a tech forum, you need to have at least 1 molecule of intelligence in your body
Go to the youtube page where this video is, you will get all his related videos on the side of the page, watch them and then decide if he is bullshitting.

BTW heres a toned down review from the same person

Back