The Fitness Thread !

Whats the per KG cost for dumbbells typically? I am getting those rubber Hex dumbbells 2x25Kg = 50Kgx150Rs = 7500Rs. New ones.
One guy selling second hand rubber (Hex type) 50 Kg for 5000Rs.

Not looking to buy those plate and rod dumbbells, find them too uncomfortable and risky with the rod sticking out beyond the plates.

For those people considering fat burning/weight loss supplements heres a good news article

http://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2015/03/fda_warns_of_banned_drugs_and.html

Four of the five weight loss supplements -- Black Mamba Hyperrush, Diablos ECA Fire Caps, Natural Max Slimming and Lean Body Extreme -- all contain sibutramine, the generic form of Meridia, and other drugs, including phenolphthalein, a laxative ingredient the FDA banned in the 1990's because it is potentially carcinogenic. The fifth, Botanical Slimming, contains fluoxetine, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) antidepressant.

Guys, what else to take other than Whey. I have a hurt Quadricep tendon and the doctor prescribed Vitamin E. Im thinking If there are more essential nutrients that I can perhaps take with Whey when I begin workout this week?

guys how good is amazon for suplements ?seeing a very good deal there thats not avail. elsewherre. if product comes not as advertised will i get refund etc ??

Guys, what else to take other than Whey. I have a hurt Quadricep tendon and the doctor prescribed Vitamin E. Im thinking If there are more essential nutrients that I can perhaps take with Whey when I begin workout this week?

check a few articles on nutrients to take in to heal tendons and ligaments (like this one). some years back when i had torn a ligament in my knee, while browsing i had come upon a website that had some tablets listed for intake to heal/strengthen ligaments. i didn't pay much attention to it then, but later on thought of noting their ingredients in order to get those from foodstuffs, but sadly couldn't find the site anymore, and had deleted my browser history as well. never been able to find that site since (or perhaps didn't search well enough). but anyway there are umpteen pages about nutrients/supplements that could accelerate healing and strengthening; read a few, but do consult your doctor too.

Last edited:
Whey is an utter waste of money.
I don't understand when will folks wake up from their stupor?
guys how good is amazon for suplements ?seeing a very good deal there thats not avail. elsewherre. if product comes not as advertised will i get refund etc ??
Anyone has experience with Whey Protein?
Please advise.

Planning to buy UN Prostar 100% Whey from Neulife.
You need ATLEAST 1 month of inactivity to the knee joint. Nothing else.
And please become a rational person and test the whey protein hypothesis before wasting your money continuously.

Whey is an utter waste of money.
I don't understand when will folks wake up from their stupor?

You need ATLEAST 1 month of inactivity to the knee joint. Nothing else.
And please become a rational person and test the whey protein hypothesis before wasting your money continuously.
lol although im not buying whey but how exactly is it a waste ? can you post your physique pic to show how good your non supplement physique is if you lift ? it may be expensive but it is worth it. especially a lot to vegetarian people who don't have eggs and need to get their macros. whey is all about convenience and ease.

lol although im not buying whey but how exactly is it a waste ? can you post your physique pic to show how good your non supplement physique is if you lift ? it may be expensive but it is worth it. especially a lot to vegetarian people who don't have eggs and need to get their macros. whey is all about convenience and ease.
Sir, so whose physique has compelled you to start believing that taking proteins will transform you from Anil Kapoor to Phil Heath?

check a few articles on nutrients to take in to heal tendons and ligaments (like this one). some years back when i had torn a ligament in my knee, while browsing i had come upon a website that had some tablets listed for intake to heal/strengthen ligaments. i didn't pay much attention to it then, but later on thought of noting their ingredients in order to get those from foodstuffs, but sadly couldn't find the site anymore, and had deleted my browser history as well. never been able to find that site since (or perhaps didn't search well enough). but anyway there are umpteen pages about nutrients/supplements that could accelerate healing and strengthening; read a few, but do consult your doctor too.
Frankly, my doctor gave zero info, I had to google all of it. I was mortally scared to begin with, but after research I figured out it was quadricep tendon. The doctor just gave painkillers and vitamin E.

I'll check that link and see. I was thinking this was because while with muscles its straightforward proteins, perhaps there were others required to keep up with the muscle growth. Stronglifts progresses so fast it was logical that some parts wont keep up. Hence I asked if there is other stuff to keep the growth balanced and not just muscles. Still searching. Muscleblaze has a multivitamin pack. Seems overpriced. Locally id got long time back and that was not fitness oriented and much cheaper.

Check it out and give your thoughts. Reviews say its good, but im not very confident of reviews on Healthkart
http://www.healthkart.com/sv/muscleblaze-mb-vite-multivitamin/SP-23389?navKey=VRNT-50602

Sir, so whose physique has compelled you to start believing that taking proteins will transform you from Anil Kapoor to Phil Heath?
nowhere have i suggested whey transforms you from an indian to an african-american . and yeah it seems you still haven't enlightened us why whey protein is a waste for everyone.

Frankly, my doctor gave zero info, I had to google all of it. I was mortally scared to begin with, but after research I figured out it was quadricep tendon. The doctor just gave painkillers and vitamin E.

I'll check that link and see. I was thinking this was because while with muscles its straightforward proteins, perhaps there were others required to keep up with the muscle growth. Stronglifts progresses so fast it was logical that some parts wont keep up. Hence I asked if there is other stuff to keep the growth balanced and not just muscles. Still searching. Muscleblaze has a multivitamin pack. Seems overpriced. Locally id got long time back and that was not fitness oriented and much cheaper.

Check it out and give your thoughts. Reviews say its good, but im not very confident of reviews on Healthkart
http://www.healthkart.com/sv/muscleblaze-mb-vite-multivitamin/SP-23389?navKey=VRNT-50602

is it tendonitis you feel? I would then suggest to search for and consult a good physio/sports doctor at your place, preferably in your area, so that you can pay visits there for treatment regularly. tendonitis could be said to be a common affliction with athletes and weight-trainees. I've had it earlier in both my arms and shoulders, and getting treated with ultrasound/electrical stimulation provided good and quicker relief. for now, a near-complete rest and periodical icing of the affected part would be recommended. on the doc's advise later on, you may proceed with strengthening exercises for your legs, using low-wt. and high-rep exercises, say with a resistance band. personally I've observed that if moving up rapidly in weight-training (esp. heavy) with focus most on muscle-strengthening and neglecting assistance work or other ways of achieving overall fitness (ie, ignoring proper warm-up & cooling-down, exercises/activities that promote overall flexibility and suppleness, static and dynamic stretching exercises, high-rep exercises with low/moderate weights or/and bodyweight, other forms of sports & games, etc.), the sinews start taking a hit. i myself have become mindful of not neglecting these aspects too, for a wholesome training. if there isn't any coach or trainer at your gym who could assist you on that, then I would suggest you to utilize this rest-period by reading a few articles/books/videos from authors like Pavel Tsatsouline, incorporate some exercises described therein to your schedules, as well as some from, say Systema (include a day or two of bodyweight exercises as well, after some weeks of training with usual weights; will feel quite reinvigorating!). move ahead in your sessions gradually, listening more to your body.

yes, as you know now, vitamins and minerals are required for proper metabolism, growth and maintenance. I've seldom used multi-vitamins, and none so far from a sports-supplement manufacturer. its sometimes said that they make better multi-vitamins than the usual drug-companies, but I can't comment on that. i (would) personally prefer to make a note of the required nutrients and try to get them from foodstuffs, even if i need to eat more. but i understand that sometimes it may become necessary to take to tablets & capsules. someone I know had used MB's creatine and some other supplements earlier, and had found them good. you may find similar supplements from amway too, and probably a few more companies. but would suggest to consult a doctor before using them. again, a sports doctor should help.
P.S. - read a bit on glucosamine too.

Last edited:
most doctors even sports doctors know nothing about nutrition.
the only solution is to start tracking your food macros, you'll get a pretty good idea how much vitamins, minerals and other nutrients you are consuming, once you know this then you can take a call on what supplements you need
i would still advise you to get the nutrients you are lacking from whole foods rather than supplements as there is no guarantee regarding the contents of supplements

most doctors even sports doctors know nothing about nutrition.
the only solution is to start tracking your food macros, you'll get a pretty good idea how much vitamins, minerals and other nutrients you are consuming, once you know this then you can take a call on what supplements you need
i would still advise you to get the nutrients you are lacking from whole foods rather than supplements as there is no guarantee regarding the contents of supplements
the supplements from foreign brands are well tested in their respective countries.The indian brands dont have a good profile and are filled with fillers and aminos and also have ingredients in forms that are not easily absorbed by the body. Just for ex. zinc is available in zinc oxide , zinc carbonate , zinc gluconate , zinc picolinate etc. the cheapest ones usually have zinc oxide which is proven to be not as easily absorbed as others. so this is also something that needs to be thought of as well. I have personally used orange triad and its one of the best multi vitamins out there in the market.

The supplement industry is not regulated by the FDA so neither are the foreign brands well tested nor are they guaranteed to have the ingredients which they have listed. Check my post a couple of pages back about the John Oliver Show on supplements, you will be surprised
There was another post on reddit which compared the actual protein content in whey protein supplements, lots of big brands had lower levels (like 60-70%) of the advertised protein content.
Being a foreign brand will not guarantee you that you are actually getting the advertised supplement and in the required quantity.

Multivitamin pills are one of the biggest scams in the supplement industry
If you are getting a well balanced diet you dont need any multivitamin pills, all those vitamins are just getting pissed away in your urine

The supplement industry is not regulated by the FDA so neither are the foreign brands well tested nor are they guaranteed to have the ingredients which they have listed. Check my post a couple of pages back about the John Oliver Show on supplements, you will be surprised
There was another post on reddit which compared the actual protein content in whey protein supplements, lots of big brands had lower levels (like 60-70%) of the advertised protein content.
Being a foreign brand will not guarantee you that you are actually getting the advertised supplement and in the required quantity.

Multivitamin pills are one of the biggest scams in the supplement industry
If you are getting a well balanced diet you dont need any multivitamin pills, all those vitamins are just getting pissed away in your urine
i have used ON whey and they have tracked well in most results and tests as well. balanced diet is good but not always sustainable . you cannot possibly be eating all the right things all the time to get all your micro nutrients met. supplement are essentially just to make up where you are lacking. a foreign brand is still anyday better than the crappy indian supplements having used them as well initially.

The myth that you cannot get all your nutrients from a well balanced diet has been fostered by the supplement industry.
Also a well balanced diet is not hard to maintain if you use your brains.
The notion that you need lots of proteins for muscle mass as another myth which has been forced down our throats by the supplement industry.
No amount of protein shakes or 3-4000 calorie diets are going to make you look even half the size of arnold or ronnie coleman, these guys and all of those hollywood and bollywood ripped guys are using steroids to get there.
A good well balanced diet will give you better long lasting muscle mass than protein supplements, and with increasing prices of protein shakes it is much cheaper to get your protein requirements from dietary sources

nowhere have i suggested whey transforms you from an indian to an african-american . and yeah it seems you still haven't enlightened us why whey protein is a waste for everyone.
It is a waste because there are people who have transformed their physiques on something like 50-100 g of protein per day.
How much is that?
Lets see - if a person only eat rice every day. He would need to eat about 2400/4 = 600 g of rice every day.
600 g of rice will have about 60 g of proteins. So my point is that normal food that you eat (yes even the veg one) can supply you with necessary proteins.

Anyway I really don't need to justify any calculations or data about proteins because clearly NO ONE here on this thread appears to have done any basic level of testing of extra proteins having a basic guise of scientific method on themselves.

Since you claim that ON Whey that you have taken appears to have improved something in your training - would you explain what that means?
Does it mean that you were stagnating on your lifts, but ingesting extra ON whey proteins suddenly caused you to start progressing on your lifts again?
Or does it mean, that you were not seeing any visible improvement in your physique, and the only ways in front of you were to cut down (reduce fat, and therefore muscles also) or bulk up (gain muscle and therefore fat also). However, taking ON whey solved both the problem altogether by increasing the size of your muscles, while reducing the fat?

Please don't take this as directed shot at you (although my words may appear so), I keep asking the same question to almost everyone at gym, no one has any answer. They are unable to articulate what are the "improvements" and they are unable to answer whether that improvement was solely because of extra proteins or because of general increase in calories (proteins are also calories at the end of day)
They just parrot repeat what has become accepted in bro-circles: High proteins = big muscles.

You want to know another similar related bro-advice?
Increase your protein especially while cutting. Because the body first burns muscles and then burn fats.
WOW, if this was true, humans would have never survived any famine!

The myth that you cannot get all your nutrients from a well balanced diet has been fostered by the supplement industry.
Also a well balanced diet is not hard to maintain if you use your brains.
The notion that you need lots of proteins for muscle mass as another myth which has been forced down our throats by the supplement industry.
No amount of protein shakes or 3-4000 calorie diets are going to make you look even half the size of arnold or ronnie coleman, these guys and all of those hollywood and bollywood ripped guys are using steroids to get there.
A good well balanced diet will give you better long lasting muscle mass than protein supplements, and with increasing prices of protein shakes it is much cheaper to get your protein requirements from dietary sources
what about vegetarians ? you saying a balanced diet can get all micro and macros filled ? Lots of research have proven people lack in many micro nutrients like zinc , b complex , selenium , boron , magnesium ,chromium are a few that a majority of people have a deficiency in these. there is no difference in muscle mass made by protein supplements than non protein. muscle is muscle and it will last just as long provided other factors are same. may be expensive but worth it , spending 3k average a month for supplements for most people is not much. and yes majority knows you wont reach ronnie size with just whey , is that even a thought that anyone who has lifted more than 1 year atleast has :D

Back