The Fitness Thread !

re: The Fitness Thread !

Currently doing only this.
one hundred push ups

went from 5 - around 30 push-ups in a few weeks :ashamed:

but gives me all the workout i need, since i dont have any inclination to join a gym or eat unknown protein which would do more harm if i dont take them properly.

really man nothing can replace push-ups and chin-ups !!! these exercises are must for everyone ... i do around forty in one go with correct form :) and 15~16 chin-ups at home

and 7~8 in gym man height really makes them tough hunnn....

I've been a fatboi for quite some time and 2 months back whne my Insurance policy was put on-hold due to my obesity, I finally decided to go for it. Started working out last week only as was preoccupied with exams earlier. As of now, my height is 5'8" and weight 113Kgs. I seriously need to reduce weight. Will put up my progress info as it happens and hope u all will pass on some pointers too along the way. :cool2:

As of now, due to my weight, during Morning I cycle and in evening I go to a gym where I go for aerobics and situps and lil weight training too.

Switch said:
Try HIIT, the single most thing you can do to reduce bodyfat really fast without doing cardio sessions for hours.

Thanks for the heads up on that Switch. This tabata method is a form of HIIT apparently.

Tabata Method – 4 Minutes of Intensity | Trying Fitness

i aint gonna do squats or thrusts like that (worried about lower back as well :p ) but i do something similar on the treadmill, push it to the max. possible speed at which i can run, and stay there for as long as i can, and cool down, and repeat a few times.

^tabata has too many variations..its like a illustration of how you shd plan the workout.

Results start showing form as low as a month..:)

hey guys as i was down with fever i was not going o gym for past 5 days n now that i fine :D since morning i am having this small pain in my neck when i try to look behind .... should i avoid gym till it goes away :huh:

My story is like this.

Throughout my childhood I've been very active. Always a little plump, but nothing dangerous. I was a professional roller skater and so fitness was always very good. Did that for close to 8-9 years. I gave it up when I was about 14 or 15. Then didnt do anything for about one year. Then started swimming when I was 15. In my 10th standard. Every morning 45 mins. 6-7 in the morning even through winter months.

Since I was still a 'kid' never bothered about diet. But my parents never let me go overboard as well. Outside food once in a way. Still no chocolates or anything.

Once I started swimming, it was awesome. I was still plump, but I was fit, enjoyed swimming and life was beautiful. Then in my 2nd PUC, my swimming went for a toss. Tuitions, etc took up most of my life. Fitness went for a 6. After my 2nd PUC exams(12th exams but under State Board) and my CET, I joined a gym. Was about 84 kgs and my height was about 5'10. Not too bad, but wanted to regain my lost fitness and tone up my body.

Went for about one and a half years till Oct 2005. At that time, I was the fittest I've ever been in my life. I didnt focus on any one exercise, but I could do about 25x2 Push ups. Hated chin ups and so never did that :p

I could lift a lot of weights. Dont remember how much exactly though. I could run an average of 2.75 kms in 15 mins on the treadmill. My record though was 2.86. Gym was mornings. Swimming was evenings.

I used to swim for about one hour non stop. No breaks after every length or anything. My record was 1 km of swimming in 37 mins. I used to take an average of 39-40 mins for 1 km. The next 20 mins was much slower as a sort of cooling down. While my weight had remained more or less constant, my fitness had increased considerably and my body was much more toned. I had become quite muscular.

Then in 2005 Oct I met with an accident and broke my right leg and left hand. Was bed ridden for 3 months. Even after that, could just manage to limp around. Gym and everything was out of the question.

I started gym in about April of 2006. Painful process. I had to regain my fitness and what was worse was that my left hand was very weak and my right leg was killing me. Started getting fitter when I had to undergo another surgery in Jul 2006 to remove the screws that were inserted in my knee.

Once that happened, all exercise went for a toss again till about October. Started gym in October. By this time, I had out on a lot of weight.

In Nov 2006, we went to Malaysia for a holiday. Did a LOT of walking there. As it turns out, I walked too much and too briskly. Had a stress fracture in my left leg. It's more minor than a hairline fracture. The bone hadnt really broken, but there was a tiny crack. It supposedly happens a lot for soldiers in the army due to the marching they do with their boots, etc...

So, another 3 months wasted in terms of fitness.

In 2007, I started gym again but not swimming as the club where I used to go had closed the pool for renovations.

Anyway, 2 and a half years later, I'm still the same. I got so demotivated after everything that happened the past 1-2 years that I kinda never put my heart and soul into my fitness. Actually, I didnt concentrate on weight loss. My fitness is still pretty damn good. But nowhere close to what it was in 2005.

It's only recently(the last 3 months) that I'm making a serious effort. I'm trying to play Tennis as and when possible and *trying* to control my diet as well.

Let's see how it goes. Nothing's impossible.

Well good luck Nikhil. My story is something similar to yours but this time i am making a lifestyle change. Pain is my new friend. My advise to you would be go to set up goals. Something like i need to run 5 Kms by next 3 months or i need to be 15 Kgs down in x months. Its not advisable to set a goal which says i need to be fit by next 3 months.

Also Diet is the key. For reducing weight No 1 is Diet then comes everything else. Cardio and Weight training are to keep yourself fit while clean Diet helps the most in bringing that FAT down.

^Well, I just finished an 8 day fast yesterday. Jain fast, known as "Athaai", which means 8 days on nothing but boiled water. I repeat, nothing but boiled water. Aces would know about this. I lost ~7Kg from last Monday to this. Can't eat anything but khichadi and curds for another week for fear of upsetting my stomach. Went to 67KG from 74, which is actually underweight for a person who is 5'10" tall.

Hope to keep this weight off for a while.

Switch said:
Well good luck Nikhil. My story is something similar to yours but this time i am making a lifestyle change. Pain is my new friend. My advise to you would be go to set up goals. Something like i need to run 5 Kms by next 3 months or i need to be 15 Kgs down in x months. Its not advisable to set a goal which says i need to be fit by next 3 months.

Also Diet is the key. For reducing weight No 1 is Diet then comes everything else. Cardio and Weight training are to keep yourself fit while clean Diet helps the most in bringing that FAT down.
I'm aware of that. But I dont want to get obsessed with numbers. I've always been fat but fit. I dont think I will ever become THIN or anything. Just that even if I'm overweight, it should be by a very small margin and not unhealthy. I would like to be really really fit though.

As of now, I'm concentrating more on weight loss though. My weight is just too much right now. However fit I am, it needs to come down. I have certain targets. Let's see how it works out.

TechHead said:
^Well, I just finished an 8 day fast yesterday. Jain fast, known as "Athaai", which means 8 days on nothing but boiled water. I repeat, nothing but boiled water. Aces would know about this. I lost ~7Kg from last Monday to this. Can't eat anything but khichadi and curds for another week for fear of upsetting my stomach. Went to 67KG from 74, which is actually underweight for a person who is 5'10" tall.
Hope to keep this weight off for a while.

But starvation weight loss always comes back! Because your body would have gone into starvation mode. Once you start eating, your body starts building on the fat reserves again.

Anyway, I dont think you need to worry! Even 74 kgs is damn good! Dont crib! Dont rub salt in our fatty wounds now!

^You know, some people can be underweight and still can have lots of fat in them :lol:

My secret to keeping fit is chasing girls. They don't call me Darth Skirt-chaser for nothing :lol:

Saiyan said:
^Wow :O , man that is something. How much muscles did you loose :lol:

Not too much actually. My arms have a lot more definition now, and my leg muscles, which were always my most powerful anyway due to tennis and cricket (was a one-time U-12,U-14 Maharashtra ranked player :)), stand out quite nicely, TYVM.

i weight about 105 kilos now and about 5'11". I have a thyroid problem, for which I am on medication. Now I need to do some exercises which boost my metabolism and help me shed some of that accumulatyed water weight.

I have started a 20 min cycling routine at home and walk for about 40 mins a day.

lets see what kind of results I see :)

went to gym after 2 weeks !!!!! felt so gud... aroma of sweat everywhere :p well last week all I did was dance (bhangra) n did 5 hrs of practice for 5 days for freshers day event !!! when I stepped on the weight machine.. I had lost friggin 2 kilos:O WTF !!!! man i really cant believe it guys ... :(

Back