The Fitness Thread !

As a kid I used to be extremely skinny. I used to dislike my physique quite a bit. Things have become better now. A year ago, when I was still living in my college hostel, I used to weigh a mere 48 kg and I'm around 5' 10". Now, I'm 66 kg and I hope to put on 10 more kilos. Most men in my family were skinny when they were young but bulked up later in life. I seem to be continuing in that trend. Also, when I put on weight I tend to gain mass in my tummy region more than the rest of my body. Should workout to sort this out, but alas I don't. Hope to start working out someday. When I have a set of long holidays I do tend to workout or swim though.

Modding my custom bench for extra reinforcement ;)

img2013012500291.jpg

Hey guys, is cycling any good for overall body fitness ? I am 22 and the last time I rode a bicycle was around 5 years back. I just want to increase my stamina and some of my tummy weight and don't really want to hit the gym.

PS: Anytime I tell my friends that I am thinking to start cycling again, they laugh off and say grow up... :sleep:

Hey guys, is cycling any good for overall body fitness ? I am 22 and the last time I rode a bicycle was around 5 years back. I just want to increase my stamina and some of my tummy weight and don't really want to hit the gym.

PS: Anytime I tell my friends that I am thinking to start cycling again, they laugh off and say grow up... :sleep:

Funny :D

I'm buying a bicycle tomorrow so that I could cycle to the gym :) No good gyms near my home with any squat rack and decent weights, hence looking for a distant gym around 5km from home. Will help me as warm up and maybe cardio post-workout. Have been out of scene for almost an year and feel like a n00b now giving suggestions, though "I'll be Back" :p

Cycling as in itself won't do you much good unless you'll be cycling like at least a semi-pro, though it's a pleasant cardio activity. You could try body weight exercises(free squats, pushups, pullups, sit-ups etc...) at home combined with cycling to reduce the tummy and be healthy. For best results I would suggest weight training combined with any cardio such as cycling/running.

Same "I'll be back" scenario here. Have not worked out since more than an year now. Starting soon..:p
Funny :D

I'm buying a bicycle tomorrow so that I could cycle to the gym :) No good gyms near my home with any squat rack and decent weights, hence looking for a distant gym around 5km from home. Will help me as warm up and maybe cardio post-workout. Have been out of scene for almost an year and feel like a n00b now giving suggestions, though "I'll be Back" :p

Cycling as in itself won't do you much good unless you'll be cycling like at least a semi-pro, though it's a pleasant cardio activity. You could try body weight exercises(free squats, pushups, pullups, sit-ups etc...) at home combined with cycling to reduce the tummy and be healthy. For best results I would suggest weight training combined with any cardio such as cycling/running.

- - - Updated - - -

Cycling is okay but it depends on what intensity and duration you do it for. Running/swimming is more efficient burning fat since you don't want to joing a gym i'm assuming you don't want to lift weights at all. Exercises suggested by blkrb0t are good. The best exercise you can do at home to burn fat is burpees, combine it with HIIT sprinting and you burn off fat like anything. Whatever you do, do at your own risk, google everything.

- - - Updated - - -

You are relying on your family history to stay fit and "hoping" to get results doing seasonal/recreational training. This is not right attitude and will give subpar results. Take it as a lifestyle and you'll be amazed how things get easy :p:p
As a kid I used to be extremely skinny. I used to dislike my physique quite a bit. Things have become better now. A year ago, when I was still living in my college hostel, I used to weigh a mere 48 kg and I'm around 5' 10". Now, I'm 66 kg and I hope to put on 10 more kilos. Most men in my family were skinny when they were young but bulked up later in life. I seem to be continuing in that trend. Also, when I put on weight I tend to gain mass in my tummy region more than the rest of my body. Should workout to sort this out, but alas I don't. Hope to start working out someday. When I have a set of long holidays I do tend to workout or swim though.

Rockfella,blkrb0t : Hey guys, thanks for the info. Actually the thing is, I am extremely lazy, so don't want to join gym, but cycling is one thing which I really enjoy, I have a Hero Ranger Swing(15 gears one) and I love cycling on it and I am not much fat, I am 5'9 and weighs around 66kg, its just the tummy part has started popping up.
Plus, I do have dumbells at home, so I guess I should put my laziness away and as suggested by you guys, will first go on cycling and then do some exercises at home only !!

Rockfella,blkrb0t : Hey guys, thanks for the info. Actually the thing is, I am extremely lazy, so don't want to join gym, but cycling is one thing which I really enjoy, I have a Hero Ranger Swing(15 gears one) and I love cycling on it and I am not much fat, I am 5'9 and weighs around 66kg, its just the tummy part has started popping up.
Plus, I do have dumbells at home, so I guess I should put my laziness away and as suggested by you guys, will first go on cycling and then do some exercises at home only !!

Doing exercises at home is not the problem, motivation is. If you're not serious about exercising, you could easily lose your tracks and wander off. Make it part of your daily activity and not just something you do to reduce your tummy.

^I totally agree. But be it working out in gym or own, if does not have self desire & motivation, nothing can help.

I am using this app : Runtastic Pro. It is available on all platforms & it is just amazing. Totally worth the money. There's ad-supported free version too !

Guys I want to know how much kcalories food I should consume everyday. My age is 23 & my current weight is 77kgs Earlier [just 3 months ago it was 67 :O] & my height is 5'8". I want to reduce it. Every morning I am going for walk. Currently I walk upto 4KM, I will extend it casually.

Also what breakfast you guys have ? Oats suggested ?

^I totally agree. But be it working out in gym or own, if does not have self desire & motivation, nothing can help.

I am using this app : Runtastic Pro. It is available on all platforms & it is just amazing. Totally worth the money. There's ad-supported free version too !

Guys I want to know how much kcalories food I should consume everyday. My age is 23 & my current weight is 77kgs Earlier [just 3 months ago it was 67 :O] & my height is 5'8". I want to reduce it. Every morning I am going for walk. Currently I walk upto 4KM, I will extend it casually.

Also what breakfast you guys have ? Oats suggested ?

Oats and milk is great, but gets bland after a while. Instead of plain oats, get Muesli. You'll be able to get it in different flavours, chocolate being my favourite. Just add in milk from a half liter pack, and drink the rest. Alternative is brown break toasted with poached eggs, with some cheese/milk.

Thank you ! I will try Oats-Muesli-Brown Bread for each day. That should keep me going ;-)

btw any idea about calorie intake ?

btw if anyone here goes for a walk, just wondering, how many kilometers each day guys ?

started cycling today , not to loose weight , just wanted to build up stamina and work out all the muscles which have been lying dormant

avi : I got that Runtastic Pro app, really really awesome app I would say. Thanks for letting me know !!
blkrb0t : I started cycling 3 days back(after a span of 5 years! ), clocked 3.9km the first day and when I reached home, there was not any more energy left to do any more exercises. Day 2 : I clocked 3.9kms again and feeling fine after cycling. Day 3 : Clocked 7.54km. I feel that maybe my body is not ready to do any more exercise after cycling so I should only cycle for say, 1 or 2 weeks so that I build up stamina and then also start with my weight training after cycling. What do you suggest ?

Y u no sticky?

goodakash Didn't see your reply. Hope you are doing well and have not quit. It takes time for your body to adjust to doing exercises, especially in the beginning. Keep up the exercises and do them within your limits. Taking a day of rest in between is fine, but don't go on more than 2 days for rest.

I reduced 6Kgs in one month. Earlier my weight was 77 & now I am 71 :p

Oats did the magic. Avoided oily food, snacks etc.

Guys,I need help
My body type is that of an endomorph, seeing that my waist is bigger than the chest whereas the overall body shape is kinda round :ashamed:

I'am 5 Foot 10" and weigh almost 85-90(I'm almost 15Kgs overweight or maybe more),any suggestion on the diet and exercise(I have started walking and Jogging)
I can't go to the Gym because eventually i'll just stop and it will do me more harm

What i'm really looking for right now is a good exercise and diet plan to reduce those extra pounds of flesh and stay fit
Any/All suggestions are welcome

Back