The Fitness Thread !

Thanks guys..
What else could be done if I say that I want to avoid gym? I really feel bored going there :(

Body weight exercises at home, though they're pretty hard initially and you'll just lose track after a while.

Running/Cycling/Swimming - great for fitness. You can combine these with body weight exercises at home.

You can also setup a gym in your home itself, if you can afford the space and can invest in the basic equipment. But it'll pay you well in the long run.

bottle said:
But what about erectile dysfunction. I want to lift my err.. little brother's mood too :gap:

That can be caused due to a poorly fitted saddle seat and improper position.

The same can happen while doing squats too, if you're wearing tight underwear and your form is incorrect.

For normal folks, who might cycle a max of say 70km in a day, it is not a concern.

Thanks guys..
What else could be done if I say that I want to avoid gym? I really feel bored going there :(
You can do bodyweight exercises. They get difficult, as your bodyweight increases with time. They are difficult compared to weight training, as you can control the weights in Free Weights, but not in body-weight conditioning.
Convict Conditioning is a good routine, with good progression steps. If you can master the final Steps in Convict Conditioning, you would be extremely strong.

Well, feeling like over-weighted since ever I joined IT company :p I am 22 year old, 77 kg and 168cm tall. I started running exercise since past 2 weeks. Run about 2-3kms/daily. Pace is improving day by day. Anything else I should remember to get a proper fit body? (want to maintain my weight at around 68 kg).. :p

The new :p smiley looks very girly.

@Rahul++ Running is great, just be regular at it and keep improving week after week. You can do freehand exercises at home to build strength and accelerate weight loss. And also, building up muscle would keep your metabolism up and help you maintain weight even if you go off for a few weeks later.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new :p smiley looks very girly.

@Rahul++ Running is great, just be regular at it and keep improving week after week. You can do freehand exercises at home to build strength and accelerate weight loss. And also, building up muscle would keep your metabolism up and help you maintain weight even if you go off for a few weeks later.
Thats the problem with Freehand exercises. The more heavy you are, the more difficult things get.

I got a new home gym/power rack. Got a heavy bench made locally, 18" high and 11" wide pad, around 100 kgs non-olympic weight plates, DIYed a higher chinup/pullup bar (on the rack) and got some dips bars made. Will post more pics later. My younger brother uses a cycle tube as resistance band for chin/pull ups. Next in wishlist is 150-200 kgs Olympic weights with a good quality Olympic bar. Will post pics later.[DOUBLEPOST=1366742977][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thats the problem with Freehand exercises. The more heavy you are, the more difficult things get.
Look at it this way: The heavier you are the more difficult it is to get started (only getting started) with calisthenics but if a heavy guy can do 20 pushups and a 60kg guy does 10 (both in the same time) the heavy guy is much stronger that the 60kg lad :)

I got a new home gym/power rack. Got a heavy bench made locally, 18" high and 11" wide pad, around 100 kgs non-olympic weight plates, DIYed a higher chinup/pullup bar (on the rack) and got some dips bars made. Will post more pics later. My younger brother uses a cycle tube as resistance band for chin/pull ups. Next in wishlist is 150-200 kgs Olympic weights with a good quality Olympic bar. Will post pics later.[DOUBLEPOST=1366742977][/DOUBLEPOST]
Look at it this way: The heavier you are the more difficult it is to get started (only getting started) with calisthenics but if a heavy guy can do 20 pushups and a 60kg guy does 10 (both in the same time) the heavy guy is much stronger that the 60kg lad :)
Yep the heavier guy would be more strong.

@Rahul++
Dont concentrate on maintaining the weight at xx kg. Just eat right, exercise moderately, sleep nicely and be fit! Eat Right= stay away from "White" stuff: Maida, white bread, sugar, pizza, milk. Exception to no white rule are fermented foods like idli, yogurt. Pizza is no 'cause of the high amount of cheese they use. I know its tasty but all daily poducts with the exception of yogurt will cause acidity.

Incude one or two Yoga routines. I do Bhastrika Pranayam and Anulom-Vilom on a daily basis.

@Rahul++
Dont concentrate on maintaining the weight at xx kg. Just eat right, exercise moderately, sleep nicely and be fit! Eat Right= stay away from "White" stuff: Maida, white bread, sugar, pizza, milk. Exception to no white rule are fermented foods like idli, yogurt. Pizza is no 'cause of the high amount of cheese they use. I know its tasty but all daily poducts with the exception of yogurt will cause acidity.

Incude one or two Yoga routines. I do Bhastrika Pranayam and Anulom-Vilom on a daily basis.
why no milk?

You are correct. The results you are looking for needs LP : linear progression. You need specific equipment and have to read a few books to understand how the whole thing works. I am coaching my younger bro. He is overweight and currently he is not focusing on what he eats. I'm just making him strong. Barely one month into training only twice a week his squat was 45 kgs yesterday with his hips going below parallel with nice hip drive ;). He has never done any squats before. 45 kgs might sound measly to many but next time you hit the gym put 45 kgs on your back, sit down and try to get up you'll know what it is. My brother is overweight just like many of us here (and everywhere) but he is hellbent on getting strong because he knows (well i told him) that loosing fat is easier with more muscle and more muscle can be gained almost quickly with compound exercises using linear progression :)
Coming back to calisthenics, well they do work and some people swear by them but free weights are simply more effective. I'll post a video of him when he squats 60 kgs and me 100 kgs.
I would beg to differ. Just because milk is white doesnt mean it is bad.
Infact Milk is the best thing to gain weight for skinny guys.
GOMAD as suggested by Mehdi and Mark Rippetoe and many others.

Back