The Fitness Thread !

Re: The Fitness Thread !

m-jeri said:
Did squats last friday. Did 90KGs. :D

Can anyone pls tell if this is correct way. I know the 5*5 rule. but sometimes i feel like doing 10rep in a single set, it just goes. These are the weights, not counting bar weight. Doing it in a Squat smith.

30Kg - 10reps

40Kg - 10reps

50Kg - 10reps

60Kg- 10reps

70Kg- 10reps

80Kg- 7or 8 reps. :S

90kg- 5 reps :S

So i am thinking of controlling my diet a bit more. Well in mysore, a pure non veg guy has very less options in weekdays. Weekeds, i eat like a pig. :S

Can anyone tell a high protien less cal diet??. I eat like 2 eggs a day during dinner. is that ok? cholesterol?. Sometimes chappattis or something else.

There are different ways to to do 5X5. You are supposed to do warm up sets. Even i feel like it becomes 10 sets.

I liked the Reg Park way. There he does only 5X5, with the last set with the max weight. You need to google it.

I actually liked the 3X5 by Mark Rippetoe.

m-jeri said:
So i am thinking of controlling my diet a bit more. Well in mysore, a pure non veg guy has very less options in weekdays. Weekeds, i eat like a pig. :S
Can anyone tell a high protien less cal diet??. I eat like 2 eggs a day during dinner. is that ok? cholesterol?. Sometimes chappattis or something else.

Chapatis is Fibre. I think it is eaten to become thin. Dont eat too many. Eat carbs instead. Rice or something. Umm, Eat peas and nuts n dal n stuff. They are high protein. Milk is high in protein. Soya is high in protein. Eat that too. And dont change your routine. Just include stuff like this with whatever else you eat. Btw, you're 25, dont worry about cholesterol till you're 40 maybe. :p Bugs are high protein sources. If you're brave.. :D

Aa, eat like one of 2 bananas before leaving to the gym. Will help. Instant release of energy.

anaghdesai said:
Chapatis is Fibre. I think it is eaten to become thin. Dont eat too many. Eat carbs instead. Rice or something. Umm, Eat peas and nuts n dal n stuff. They are high protein. Milk is high in protein. Soya is high in protein. Eat that too. And dont change your routine. Just include stuff like this with whatever else you eat. Btw, you're 25, dont worry about cholesterol till you're 40 maybe. :p Bugs are high protein sources. If you're brave.. :D

Aa, eat like one of 2 bananas before leaving to the gym. Will help. Instant release of energy.

Chapatis are not fibre, but carbs. It essential content being wheat, which is a source of carbs and bit of fibre.

regarding cholestrol, people have a misconception that they are bad. Infact they are very much essential. Similar is the case with fat. People run away from fat as though its poison, while not realising that fats dont make you fat, on the contrary they are essential. Our whole world seems to be manipulated by these MNCs.

Here's a good link

Cholesterol and Saturated Fat Myths Addressed Here - Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

I really like the old times, where people never worried about these things and the manipulation was less.

Marks Daily apple had a very good artivle on this

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

anaghdesai said:

Chapatis are not fibre, but carbs. It essential content being wheat, which is a source of carbs and bit of fibre.

regarding cholestrol, people have a misconception that they are bad. Infact they are very much essential. Similar is the case with fat. People run away from fat as though its poison, while not realising that fats dont make you fat, on the contrary they are essential. Our whole world seems to be manipulated by these MNCs.

Here's a good link
Cholesterol and Saturated Fat Myths Addressed Here - Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

I really like the old times, where people never worried about these things and the manipulation was less.
Marks Daily apple had a very good artivle on this

Rockfella said:
You should be thankful to Mehdi Hadim for starting SLs not me lol. It is normal to stall on the OHP first. Usually this is how stalling (unable to add weight) happens: First on the ohp>bench>rows>Squats>Deadlift. For some it will differ. It is harder to progress on it simply because it uses small muscles groups: delts/tri. Please make sure you watch videos/read about technique on how to do it properly. Have u read what to do when you stall in a lift?
You are right about "dead"lifting. Your trainer is stupid but don't get cocky, read/watch videos and get the form right. Once u start squatting 60kgs+ noone will laugh at you. :)

I knew about 5x5 already, still I continued stupid isolation exercises 5 days a week for more than 2 months :p. Started 5x5 only after going through your posts.
And I have done the home work with videos/reading. I haven't stalled on a weight for more than one time, so haven't deloaded in any exercise yet.
My Diet Plan is: Breakfast: 2 Parathas/poha/chapathi, 3 eggs, half ltr milk
Pre lunch snacks: 1 Apple, 3-4 walnuts
Lunch: Chicken/Fish, curd, daal, 2 chapatis, small bowl rice
Evening snacks: boiled black chana(chickpea)
After workout: Banana Shake
Dinner: 3 eggs, 100 grams of boiled daal
Finally half letre milk before sleep
Am I eating too much? :ashamed:

m-jeri said:
Still i am fat... :(

me sad.. :( ...
Fat loss is not the only way of measuring progress. Strength gains, muscle gains and fat loss are inseparable. You'll see results overtime, just don't feel demotivated now. ;)

m-jeri said:
Just this 3 times a day?.
Thrice a week, yea.

m-jeri said:
Folks just been reading up on this..

StrongLifts 5x5: Ultimate Strength & Muscle Building Program | StrongLifts.com

Stronglifts.

can anyone explain about this?

StrongLifts 5x5 Workout A StrongLifts 5x5 Workout B
Squat 5x5 Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5 Overhead Press 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5 Deadlift 1x5

Yes, just 3 times a week, 3 exercises a day! Even I was flabbergasted when I read this for the first time but after following 5x5 for few weeks I have realized that it is taxing my body much more than the 5 day isolation routine did. If you not an experienced lifter then read it up and follow for a month, I am sure you will forget the 5 day isolation routine.
Edit: I do add 3 sets of chin-ups with workout A and 3 sets of push-ups with workout B.

HeadStrong said:
I knew about 5x5 already, still I continued stupid isolation exercises 5 days a week for more than 2 months :p. Started 5x5 only after going through your posts.
And I have done the home work with videos/reading. I haven't stalled on a weight for more than one time, so haven't deloaded in any exercise yet.
My Diet Plan is: Breakfast: 2 Parathas/poha/chapathi, 3 eggs, half ltr milk
Pre lunch snacks: 1 Apple, 3-4 walnuts
Lunch: Chicken/Fish, curd, daal, 2 chapatis, small bowl rice
Evening snacks: boiled black chana(chickpea)
After workout: Banana Shake
Dinner: 3 eggs, 100 grams of boiled daal
Finally half letre milk before sleep
Am I eating too much? :ashamed:
Immediately after work out you need some protein. banana shake has mostly carbs. better add a protein shake to that.

How much you are eating depends on What your goal is and the work out you are following.

Also I am not sure if drinking 1 litre milk a day is good to loose fat. from your diet if you can calculate how many grams of fat, carbs and proteing you are eating then it will be good to gauge. Overall it seems you are having mostly simple carbs and fat. You need to add complex carbs and protein.

:eek: I've been posting links of this website in this thread. I gave u direct link to it so many times and i was assuming you've already gone through it!!!! WoW! See i told ya, u never listen! Better late than never. Just follow it now.

m-jeri said:
Folks just been reading up on this..

StrongLifts 5x5: Ultimate Strength & Muscle Building Program | StrongLifts.com

Stronglifts.

can anyone explain about this?

StrongLifts 5x5 Workout A StrongLifts 5x5 Workout B

Squat 5x5 Squat 5x5

Bench Press 5x5 Overhead Press 5x5

Barbell Rows 5x5 Deadlift 1x5
The book has unbeatable info for beginners. Its easily the best book i've read about training.

pradeep200417 said:
you can also have a look at Starting Strength.

True, when i used to do split routines i sometimes could workout for 3-4 hours and before starting 5x5 i thought its a joke u know only 5 exercises lol. Once i started squatting 80kgs+ i was glad that there were only 4 exercises more to go. I felt so drained out simply squatting!! Its hard and that's why its effective.

HeadStrong said:
Yes, just 3 times a week, 3 exercises a day! Even I was flabbergasted when I read this for the first time but after following 5x5 for few weeks I have realized that it is taxing my body much more than the 5 day isolation routine did. If you not an experienced lifter then read it up and follow for a month, I am sure you will forget the 5 day isolation routine.

Edit: I do add 3 sets of chin-ups with workout A and 3 sets of push-ups with workout B.

sg3707 said:
Immediately after work out you need some protein. banana shake has mostly carbs. better add a protein shake to that.

How much you are eating depends on What your goal is and the work out you are following.

Also I am not sure if drinking 1 litre milk a day is good to loose fat. from your diet if you can calculate how many grams of fat, carbs and proteing you are eating then it will be good to gauge. Overall it seems you are having mostly simple carbs and fat. You need to add complex carbs and protein.

I have around 12-13% body fat, I was running 30-35 kms per week until I stopped running due to shin splits. So fat reduction isn't a priority. Infact I don't mind gaining a bit of fat if I can gain good amount of muscle. Will be increasing milk consumption to 2 ltr slowely :cool2:. Also, I am unable to find "simple carbs" in this diet, care to explain please?

Rockfella said:
:eek: I've been posting links of this website in this thread. I gave u direct link to it so many times and i was assuming you've already gone through it!!!! WoW! See i told ya, u never listen! Better late than never. Just follow it now.

Ha.

I learn to read ur posts with a OOOPPPPEEN mind.

If so can u explain? Just those 3 exercises? NOTHING ELSE? All that can be done in 30 minutes r8? thats enough?

I wish I had the time to try out this...I always wanted to be lean,fit and strong(not that I am fat)....will give definitely give it a try..

SL site has detailed info about food intake. Try to follow their 8 rules. Eat close to 3000 kcals and target 1gram protein per POUND of your bodyweight. If you follow SL for 6 months regularly, control your ego, ignore gym rats, get strong, eat good, sleep 7-8 hours a day you'll have your own opinion and would not feel the need to ask questions here :)

HeadStrong said:
I have around 12-13% body fat, I was running 30-35 kms per week until I stopped running due to shin splits. So fat reduction isn't a priority. Infact I don't mind gaining a bit of fat if I can gain good amount of muscle. Will be increasing milk consumption to 2 ltr slowely :cool2:. Also, I am unable to find "simple carbs" in this diet, care to explain please?
There are 5 exercises 2 are assistance 3 are main ones. The crux of this program is progressive loading so without small weight increases it is not possible to get strong that is why i stress so much on small plates of 1.25 kgs/2.5lbs and even lesser for ohp/bench (ankle weights are good option) Don't underestimate 3 exercises, they get brutal after 2-3 months.

m-jeri said:
Ha.

I learn to read ur posts with a OOOPPPPEEN mind.

If so can u explain? Just those 3 exercises? NOTHING ELSE? All that can be done in 30 minutes r8? thats enough?

Whenever you try please keep in mind u have to do it two months atleast and follow exactly as it is laid out without changing a single thing. If you change anything because your trainer said so/friend said/whatever you will not be doing SL.

surya_neo said:
I wish I had the time to try out this...I always wanted to be lean,fit and strong(not that I am fat)....will give definitely give it a try..

Rockfella said:
SL site has detailed info about food intake. Try to follow their 8 rules. Eat close to 3000 kcals and target 1gram protein per POUND of your bodyweight. If you follow SL for 6 months regularly, control your ego, ignore gym rats, get strong, eat good, sleep 7-8 hours a day you'll have your own opinion and would not feel the need to ask questions here :)
Actually, proper eating is the difficult part, for me at least. Therefore, I have devised my own food-plan, counting very conservatively it is around 150 grams of protien, almost 3000 calories, omega-3, lots of complex carbs and vitamins. I hate all things processed sugar and deep fried. Only sweet part of my diet is fruits and 2 scoops of ice cream once a week. Milk, milk shakes and coffee are always without sugar :cool2:. I weigh 158 Lbs right now.

@Rock.

Ok.

But one question still remains. How can this 3 exercise work this effective? Whats the concept?

Looks real good :)

HeadStrong said:
Actually, proper eating is the difficult part, for me at least. Therefore, I have devised my own food-plan, counting very conservatively it is around 150 grams of protien, almost 3000 calories, omega-3, lots of complex carbs and vitamins. I hate all things processed sugar and deep fried. Only sweet part of my diet is fruits and 2 scoops of ice cream once a week. Milk, milk shakes and coffee are always without sugar :cool2:. I weigh 158 Lbs right now.

[/quote]

m-jeri said:
@Rock.

Ok.

But one question still remains. How can this 3 exercise work this effective? Whats the concept?

Jerin, dont bother about the fat. That's not the fat actually you are gaining. It is muscles with fat accumulated around. Do one thing. Do you do cardio?

- If you love to lift weighs, avoid HIIT for the time being.

- Add 15min joggin to your gym schedule on alternate days.

- Divide your workout plan to 6 days. Start with chest on first day of the week and end with legs.

- Jogging part comes the first you enter your gym. Set a 15-min countdown on your treadmill and try jog at continous speeds till the end of 15min. It is surely going to take you sometime, but you'll adjust to that. It is actually not jogging, it is running. Dont bother about how much calories you lose doing this.

- For the days left, end with 15-min cycling and cross-training overhaul after your body-part workout.

- Try to add leg-lifts to your schedule if you can.

- Regarding the diet, just keep i clean.

- Never miss these three. Bench press, DL, squats. Shuffle the ways you do them.

From what i think, you are an easy gainer. Avoid having dinner after 8 in the evening.

I might not know as much as Rockfella saar, but i can advise you till some extent. If you have a strong mindset and want to lose fat in an efficient way. Ask him to guide you with something about Tabada.

Tabada helped me pass through pleateaus and i lost around 8 pounds in a month. I used to know about HIITs but had a very little about Tabada.

m-jeri said:
Still i am fat... :(

me sad.. :( ...

Find this book called "The Truth About Six Pack Abs"

Cause according to the book six packs are visible only when you lose your fat content. and it basically talks about losing fat rather than becoming bulky with muscles. See if it helps. :) I got the book thinking i'll make abs n stuff but i didnt finish the book so no abs. And it's raining so I'm too bored to go to the gym. Cause i lost my raincoat pant.

@pradeep200417: So if chapati is carbs why do doctors ask people to avoid rice at night and eat chapatis instead? :-?

Back