The Fitness Thread !

@Rockfella and other regulars,

I'l be starting gym again from the 20th of next month, and I was hoping I could get some advice

Height - 5'11 - 6ft
Weight -75-
Most of the fat is in the belly :p
Waist 32inch (can squeeze into them still :D )
Now last time I tried I dint have the luxury of spending on proteins, now I do. Also discovered cheap proteins -> http://www.vigourfuel.com/products.php?cat=29 Also check out facebook.com/soyaday
There are whey and soy blends too at slightly higher costs. Check them out. (Ps I've checked enough out on soy having female hormones, nothing concrete, seems like bullcrap)

Now my problem is last time when I worked out for around 4 months, the weight hardly moved. I gained some muscle around shoulders which is still there. But I think with proteins now I can lose the belly and get in better shape.What would you recommend ? Also I have around 20 days before I get to the gym so perhaps I'l do some body weight exercises?

Last edited by a moderator:
5 sets of free squats x 8 reps (if you can handle soreness or else only 5x5), 5 sets of pushups (as much as you can reps), 5 sets of chinup OR pullups (as much as you can). Workout every alternate day till you hit the gym. Stay away from Soy, the bullcrap is correct. Never heard of the site link sorry.
@Rockfella and other regulars,

I'l be starting gym again from the 20th of next month, and I was hoping I could get some advice

Height - 5'11 - 6ft
Weight -75-
Most of the fat is in the belly :p
Waist 32inch (can squeeze into them still :D )
Now last time I tried I dint have the luxury of spending on proteins, now I do. Also discovered cheap proteins -> http://www.vigourfuel.com/products.php?cat=29 Also check out facebook.com/soyaday
There are whey and soy blends too at slightly higher costs. Check them out. (Ps I've checked enough out on soy having female hormones, nothing concrete, seems like bullcrap)

Now my problem is last time when I worked out for around 4 months, the weight hardly moved. I gained some muscle around shoulders which is still there. But I think with proteins now I can lose the belly and get in better shape.What would you recommend ? Also I have around 20 days before I get to the gym so perhaps I'l do some body weight exercises?
[DOUBLEPOST=1367043265][/DOUBLEPOST]Signing out from this thread for 6 months!

Hi,
I'm 6'1 and weigh only 64-65 Kgs.. I play tennis (~45 mins in the morning). I have stopped it now to bulk up.
I used to do Convict conditioning (Managed only 2 steps) but I omitted head stands and could'nt do pull-ups due to lack of equipment. The main reason I stopped is I felt I was doing it wrong and causing back pain and stuff like that.
I used to do yoga too before I started convict conditioning.
Now I'm stopping everything and going to join Talwalkers gym .
My metabolic rate is hyper and I feel hungry all the time. I already worked out in Talwalkars 2 years back for ~8 months but went from 64 Kgs to only 69 Kgs .. I took whey for the ~2-3 months. But I lost everything in 2-3 months after I stopped gym.
This time I'm going to use mass gainer supplement (From Optimum Nutrition) and workout .
Till now , even after eating red banana at night and having 2 glasses of milk , I observed no weight gain.
My plan is to go from 65kgs to 80kgs in 1 year and maintain atleast 75kgs body weight after that.

I work at night for foreign companies and I sleep from 1.30pm (after lunch) till 9pm (till dinner time).

I need some advice on healthy snacking during night while working. I don't know how to cook. I usually eat fruits /corn flakes / chocolate biscuits).
Please feel free to give me any kind of advice :)

Hi,
I'm 6'1 and weigh only 64-65 Kgs.. I play tennis (~45 mins in the morning). I have stopped it now to bulk up.
I used to do Convict conditioning (Managed only 2 steps) but I omitted head stands and could'nt do pull-ups due to lack of equipment. The main reason I stopped is I felt I was doing it wrong and causing back pain and stuff like that.
I used to do yoga too before I started convict conditioning.
Now I'm stopping everything and going to join Talwalkers gym .
My metabolic rate is hyper and I feel hungry all the time. I already worked out in Talwalkars 2 years back for ~8 months but went from 64 Kgs to only 69 Kgs .. I took whey for the ~2-3 months. But I lost everything in 2-3 months after I stopped gym.
This time I'm going to use mass gainer supplement (From Optimum Nutrition) and workout .
Till now , even after eating red banana at night and having 2 glasses of milk , I observed no weight gain.
My plan is to go from 65kgs to 80kgs in 1 year and maintain atleast 75kgs body weight after that.

I work at night for foreign companies and I sleep from 1.30pm (after lunch) till 9pm (till dinner time).

I need some advice on healthy snacking during night while working. I don't know how to cook. I usually eat fruits /corn flakes / chocolate biscuits).
Please feel free to give me any kind of advice :)

I can see that you dont stick to a routine. You need to stick to a routine first, to see any results later.
Find a good program and follow it consistently. Only then you can expect something.
Night shift can be a pain. Can you list the daily food intake?

I worked out in the gym for 8-10 months .. Then it got stressed cos I did'nt see results.
Then I did yoga for some time and started tennis 2 months back.. But stopped tennis now because it burns like 600-800 cals for an hour.
My diet so far :
6am : red banana
7am : milk
8.30 : breakfast ( dosa chutney / beard sandwich with peanut butter+cheese+chutney+onions
11.am : green tea
12.30 : lunch (south Indian meals - veg) / mixed rice / non-veg (1-2 times/week)
9pm : Dinner ( chappathis / roti / dosa+chutney)
1am : fruits (pears / pomegranate ) / biscuit
4am : cornflakes (chocos/kellogs)

usually I feel hungry during 1am till 6am .. Need to find something solid to eat .

@GODMODE09

For a guy who thinks he eats a lot, you don't munch much. You won't put on weight by restricting calories.

I would recommend you to get back to gym and start seriously again, you will at least have prior experience.

You aren't eating enough carbs. Not enough white rice, potatoes, parathas, fried stuff. Eat shit loads of potatoes, milk+yellow banana after workout, white rice, red meat, snacks like samosas and fried stuff etc.

You aren't eating enough carbs. Not enough white rice, potatoes, parathas, fried stuff. Eat shit loads of potatoes, milk+yellow banana after workout, white rice, red meat, snacks like samosas and fried stuff etc.

Are you being sarcastic? o_O

White rice, potatoes, milk and banana are fine, but fried stuff and samosas are not. You don't need junk food to add carbs and hence calories - exception is off days when you can gorge in limit whatever you want.

I think the last part would block his coronary arteries, if he is not working out like michael phelps :D
On a sidenote, you should have a look at michael phelp's diet. All junk.

OK.. I eat as much as I can guys.. I need some advice on what to eat during night time and also some good advice on weight gain supplements like "Serious mass" from ON.

Seriously man, why the hell are you after SUPPLEMENTS?
All that weight gain supplements have is Carbs, why do you want supplements when you have so many carb rich foods available?
(Same argument doesnt really apply to Protein supplements as I'd rather have 2 scoops of protein supplement and get my 50 grams of protein rather than eat 7-10 eggs everyday).

Okay, In my last post I didnt mean to tell you to gobble up on samosas and pakodas. The only thing important is that you need to have a calorie surplus. You can do it by eating lots of carb rich foods, If you know your Basal Metabolic rate that would greatly help. But I am thinking anything more than 3500-4000+ calories would help you put on some serious weight.

And eating Junk doesnt matter, I can eat junk and still lose weight provided my calorie intake doesnt exceed my output. Of course that doesnt mean you should have a pizza or two everyday, but you CAN eat junk everyday and gain/lose weight as required. YEP.

Seriously man, why the hell are you after SUPPLEMENTS?
All that weight gain supplements have is Carbs, why do you want supplements when you have so many carb rich foods available?
(Same argument doesnt really apply to Protein supplements as I'd rather have 2 scoops of protein supplement and get my 50 grams of protein rather than eat 7-10 eggs everyday).

Okay, In my last post I didnt mean to tell you to gobble up on samosas and pakodas. The only thing important is that you need to have a calorie surplus. You can do it by eating lots of carb rich foods, If you know your Basal Metabolic rate that would greatly help. But I am thinking anything more than 3500-4000+ calories would help you put on some serious weight.

And eating Junk doesnt matter, I can eat junk and still lose weight provided my calorie intake doesnt exceed my output. Of course that doesnt mean you should have a pizza or two everyday, but you CAN eat junk everyday and gain/lose weight as required. YEP.

Well I can eat only so much at a time.. Every time I eat , I fill 90% of my stomach and I can't/don't know what to eat to get 3500 cals from.. Hence additional supplements are preferred.
And it serves as a good post workout shake too. :) Also it has lot more than just calories... I would love to hear what kind of carb rich foods are there apart from the ones I mentioned ..
I don't like eating a lot of oily items... ( I never have apart from KFC/hotel food).. Not a big fan of oily snacks like samosas,etc.. So I'm not planning on eating them now.
Can you please tell me how can I find my basal metabolic rate?

Thanks for your advice :)

Attachments

• sm.jpg
    sm.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 119
I am going into a 3 month holiday from June, sure about getting few muscles. I have a query that, most gym recommend doing Cardio+Gym, basically I want to gain weight, I am 6.1 62kg only, I gained 10 kilos since I joined gym 2 years ago with the same scheme Cardio+Gym, of course light cardio like 10 minutes at 10-12km/hr for 1-2km. So what do you guys recommend? should I do cardio also? I am on it, but it costs more too, so need to confirm with you experts.

Another query is which gym brand is best, lol of course I am asking brand because, the small local gym don't have facilities and proper training. The things I need is separate room for bag and equipment storage, spa room, separate room for warm up-cool down, good trainers. I checked out World's gym, quite much completes my needs, but it doesn't have separate warm up rooms.

Anyone know how much would buying a rack of dumbells cost? For home work out?
http://shopping.rediff.com/product/protoner-adjustable-dumbbells-20-kg/11410039[DOUBLEPOST=1367589593][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why dont you do GOMAD?
Google for it.

A qualified fitness instructor once told me anything more than 3kgs+/month is not advisable and is not a healthy option to gain weight.
I'm looking to gain muscle mass mate , not just fat weight. If I can consistently able to gain 3kgs every month , I'll be happy. I can go from 64 kgs to 85 kgs in 6-7 months and maintain that weight of 75-80 kgs. :)

http://shopping.rediff.com/product/protoner-adjustable-dumbbells-20-kg/11410039[DOUBLEPOST=1367589593][/DOUBLEPOST]

A qualified fitness instructor once told me anything more than 3kgs+/month is not advisable and is not a healthy option to gain weight.
I'm looking to gain muscle mass mate , not just fat weight. If I can consistently able to gain 3kgs every month , I'll be happy. I can go from 64 kgs to 85 kgs in 6-7 months and maintain that weight of 75-80 kgs. :)
I dont think you can gain purely muscle mass and not fat along with it.
You can gain weight now and later cut down.
3kgs per month on pure muscle mass? :eek:
Is it attainable ?

Like I said earlier in this thread, even something as simple as 0.75-1.00 liter of milk a day has been enough for me to gain around 10kgs (over 4 months, mostly muscle). YMMV

@GODMODE09 GOMAD is a proven + well researched strategy.

@Party Monger A simple set of dumbbells will not be super useful (though it totally depends on your goals). I'd suggest joining a Gym or body weight exercises.

ok..here is my situation

Height - 5 ft 9"
Weight - around 82-84
Waist - 36.

Never exercised before. Have a sitting job, messy schedule, irregular sleeping times .. irregular eating times. I eat a lot .. and all the wrong stuff (fried as in paranthas .. carbs..junk...milk...biscuits etc). Only heavy stuff i do is weekly cricket on sunday (for 3-4 hours).
Now i need better fitness (for cricket, as in need more stamina) and need to lose weight (high court's orders :p ) as in 4 KGs by the end of this month.

So is it possible to lose 4 KGs in 25 days ?
Will it be healthy to lose this much in such a small period of time ?
If yes, then how ? I can spare 1-2 hours a day (more if needed), but cant join a gym as of now.

Please suggest :)

Back