The Fitness Thread !

anyone here used pvl whey protein before??
just want to ask how much effective are they.
and i too live in delhi any store suggestion except newlife:)

anyone here used pvl whey protein before??
just want to ask how much effective are they.
and i too live in delhi any store suggestion except newlife:)

In my honest opinion, whey proteins more or less remain the same. What differs is taste, mixability, amount of protein in one scoop and the type. Read about different types of protein here - http://3fu3l.com/the-different-types-of-whey-protein/

BCAA
I don't use it as i get enough of it from whey protein and pre-workout (About 20gm+ in total)
I plan to use it when I start cutting as according to my research, its most beneficial when someone is cutting to save the muscles from being lost during workout.

I plant to use SciVation. I have heard its the best out there. I want to try MusclePharm's BCAA too but their products are too expensive.

Herbalife Formula 1 Nutritional Shake Mix. It works only if you follow some Strict Diet.

I'm Happy with the product and my exercise pattern. I weigh 68kgs now which is healthy and my low waists pants look like i wore borrowed pants.
Lost more than 4kgs in one month, Just don't find time to maintain the above Diet and Junk food & Sugar a lot in between I could see my Visceral Fat is back again. Majority of the folks say i slimmed down a bit, so that boosts the confidence in you.

Now Mission Flat Tummy. Should go a head with another diet pattern. This time no Nutritional shake.

Hi, I wont be able to do more than 3 suryanamaskar and 1 full-ups..
Is there any tips to perform above exercises?
I think I dont have enough energy in my hand to pull myself up...

Hi, I wont be able to do more than 3 suryanamaskar and 1 full-ups..
Is there any tips to perform above exercises?
I think I dont have enough energy in my hand to pull myself up...

Keep at it, and do these 'mindfully'. for instance, while doing the Namaskaar, keep a good control over your breath. control/regulation of breath plays a very vital role in any physical and mental activity. when done that way, your more than half of the job would be done! exhale when contracting or exerting force, inhale when stretching the body or when you want to make yourself (feel) 'light(er)' (we do it all the time! for instance, when we have to jump to cross a hurdle, we invariably take a deep breath in, and when trying to make ourselves stable or while sitting down on something or on the floor, we exhale in respite. too many instances from our daily life for anyone to observe. but when you start practicing regulation of breath, you start doing things more mindfully and much efficiently). it will take some time for your body to learn and perform it without being mindful of this, but for that, you must first drill this pattern into your mind to form a habit, through practice. ofcourse, it would've been much better had we been in front of each other, but anyway. first perform a few sets mindfully, without exerting yourself, in a loose way, and check in which movement you stretch your body, and in which you contract. after a few movements this way, perform the proper sets with proper breathing as written above. your breathing should be deep, natural, and not erratic. don't force your nostrils to breathe in deeply, otherwise you might feel dizziness or/and a burning-sensation in your nose later. do it in a natural way. PERSIST in this manner for a few days, and then you will write back here of how well you have taken it ahead!

P.S. - in our last dojo, we used to start the day's training with the Soorya-Namaskaar, a generous amount/number of successive and continuous sets/repetitions thrown in, without any break. at the end of it, we all would be sweating so profusely as if we had been training for an hour! and THEN we used to start our warm-up, and subsequently the training-session. so, you can guess how persisting in a methodical manner propels you ahead to an even stronger resolve and overall-constitution.

with pull-ups, one of the best ways i have seen to build-up your strength in these is, through very gradual progression. its a tough exercise, atleast initially. start it this way:

1. warm-up.
2. then catch the bar, and twist/rotate your hips slowly for a few counts.
3. drop down, rest for a few seconds, then again catch up the bar, and stay hanging for some time. now while doing this, regulate your breathing. feel the stretch in your spine. breathe naturally and slowly, and keep your mind calm. this is critical, because an excitement or nervousness to perform saps you of your focus and energy. there ought to be only two entities in time & space at THAT MOMENT - you, and your bar!
4. the major moving muscles in this are your back muscles. so focus the deliverance of your power from there, and imagine your hands as being levers with 2 strong hooks at their ends (ie, your wrists and palms). drop down from your hanging position (as mentioned in point #3 above). now catch up the bar again, hang for a moment, till your body, mind and breathing are stable, and now pull yourself halfway-up, using the muscles of your back. don't tighten your hands unnecessarily, but just have a stable grip on the bar, and while pulling yourself up, imagine/visualise the power to be coming from your back muscles, and contract them accordingly.
5. go up swiftly, and come down slowly. very important! do not haste in! repeat the same thing for a few counts (set a target, and perform 2 more than that. for eg, if you make a target of performing 5 tomorrow, when you reach the 5th count, don't just drop down, but override your impulse, and perform 2 more, or try to). do a few sets like these. don't go full up initially. max. is halfway-up. no need to get embarassed over this. if visualising your back muscles delivering the power is a little tough for you, then just hang, and draw in total power only from your back, and perform a no. of repetitions in succession to just a few inches up, like if you are slowly bouncing in mid-air. make sure NOT to hold in partial pull-ups, as this would put the load on your elbows/arms and shoulder-joints unnecessarily, which is not our aim to do. a little practice this way would suffice to develop that focus of the power being delivered from your back muscles, and less from the arms. in a few days, you would be very easily going all the way up for multiple counts!
6. ultimately, when you have gained the strength to go full way up, hold there for a second, feel the contraction in your back muscles and in your arms, and then come down slowly. don't jerk. do it in a gentleman's way, with swift power, not like an excited teen! while coming down, inhale, go up, exhale, and repeat.
7. if the bar is at such a height that you have to jump up to catch it, and while hanging your body at full stretch, your feet are still a few inches above the ground, then good. and if the bar is a little thick, then better!

so you see, the description above may look lengthy and convoluted, but actually is very easy to follow and incorporate. its just that these things require a face-to-face observation to better understand, hence trying to explain in writing could get a little long and perhaps, possibly, incoherent. i am myself going to re-start my physical roster from tomorrow, after being passive for quite sometime due to some injuries, and am going to do the above things in the same manner i have described above. these are tried and tested by me in the past, so you may try as well, within your limits of safety and well-being. if you get stuck up anywhere, write back in. remember - the key is, to properly and in a regulated manner, PERSIST!

Last edited:
It's counterpart is hard to procure even in the US. Hard because it is available only through its official site and few websites like houseofpain. Inzer makes serious powerlifting gear!
congrats!
don't we have a counterpart of it locally available, or this itself available here?

Last edited:
with pull-ups, one of the best ways i have seen to build-up your strength in these is, through very gradual progression. its a tough exercise, atleast initially. start it this way:

1. warm-up.
2. then catch the bar, and twist/rotate your hips slowly for a few counts.
3. drop down, rest for a few seconds, then again catch up the bar, and stay hanging for some time. now while doing this, regulate your breathing. feel the stretch in your spine. breathe naturally and slowly, and keep your mind calm. this is critical, because an excitement or nervousness to perform saps you of your focus and energy. there ought to be only two entities in time & space at THAT MOMENT - you, and your bar!
4. the major moving muscles in this are your back muscles. so focus the deliverance of your power from there, and imagine your hands as being levers with 2 strong hooks at their ends (ie, your wrists and palms). drop down from your hanging position (as mentioned in point #3 above). now catch up the bar again, hang for a moment, till your body, mind and breathing are stable, and now pull yourself halfway-up, using the muscles of your back. don't tighten your hands unnecessarily, but just have a stable grip on the bar, and while pulling yourself up, imagine/visualise the power to be coming from your back muscles, and contract them accordingly.
5. go up swiftly, and come down slowly. very important! do not haste in! repeat the same thing for a few counts (set a target, and perform 2 more than that. for eg, if you make a target of performing 5 tomorrow, when you reach the 5th count, don't just drop down, but override your impulse, and perform 2 more, or try to). do a few sets like these. don't go full up initially. max. is halfway-up. no need to get embarassed over this. if visualising your back muscles delivering the power is a little tough for you, then just hang, and draw in total power only from your back, and perform a no. of repetitions in succession to just a few inches up, like if you are slowly bouncing in mid-air. make sure NOT to hold in partial pull-ups, as this would put the load on your elbows/arms and shoulder-joints unnecessarily, which is not our aim to do. a little practice this way would suffice to develop that focus of the power being delivered from your back muscles, and less from the arms. in a few days, you would be very easily going all the way up for multiple counts!
6. ultimately, when you have gained the strength to go full way up, hold there for a second, feel the contraction in your back muscles and in your arms, and then come down slowly. don't jerk. do it in a gentleman's way, with swift power, not like an excited teen! while coming down, inhale, go up, exhale, and repeat.
7. if the bar is at such a height that you have to jump up to catch it, and while hanging your body at full stretch, your feet are still a few inches above the ground, then good. and if the bar is a little thick, then better!
Great post.
I do 10 pull-ups in one set(~26 in 3 sets), however I fell like I stress my arms for pulling me up. I shall now concentrate on my back muscles while doing pull-ups.

thanks!
and that's a good volume. keep it (going) up!
if you find 'feeling' your back-muscles while doing the pull-ups a little tough in the beginning, then you can try it on the lat pull-down machine, or with seated cable rows, or with croc rows/one-arm DB rows. just take care to lock only a light weight on either of them, or grab only a light DB, initially, and focus on exerting your power/force from the back muscles. don't forget to hold the contraction for a second or two, or a little more, at the peak of the power-exertion movement. for instance, if doing the lat pull-down in this manner, then grab the hanging bar, regard your arms as levers with strong hooks at its ends, and pull the weight down by exerting power from your contracting back muscles (visualisation would also assist in this).

guys gonna go treadmill shopping in the evening....

can you suggest some brands of motorized treadmill in the 30-40k range????

and what brands are good???

Yes but din buy... i have to decide between aftons own models, fuel or sole - sold by afton...

Did not like propel, and proline was too expensive...

yes, afton. i just happened to see its store beside decathlon y'day for the 1st time. had thought of suggesting it to you, but then couldn't recall its name.
(and about proline, even i faintly remember that some of its products are prohibitively expensive).

Any advice on starting with a starting strength routing? Can I work off the wiki or is the book absolutely necessary?

Currently on a 6 day x 80 min per day cardio regime with a reasonably controlled diet, am at 93kgs, still about 15kgs overweight.

Any advice on starting with a starting strength routing? Can I work off the wiki or is the book absolutely necessary?

Currently on a 6 day x 80 min per day cardio regime with a reasonably controlled diet, am at 93kgs, still about 15kgs overweight.
You can start off with the wiki, but read the book as you're going along with the program so that you can gain real insight into what you're supposed to do.

Concentrate on the form more than the weight you're lifting. This is one of the main areas where newbies go wrong, apart from the diet that is. Once you've perfected the form, lifting heavy will come naturally.

You can start off with the wiki, but read the book as you're going along with the program so that you can gain real insight into what you're supposed to do.

Concentrate on the form more than the weight you're lifting. This is one of the main areas where newbies go wrong, apart from the diet that is. Once you've perfected the form, lifting heavy will come naturally.
Well said. Technique is paramount. I am still struggling with squat and can't eat enough. Btw I'll get this today: (Dad's friend's sister coming from the US)

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_belt.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FOREVERBELTS_BUCKLE10MM

Double prong, 10 mm, black FTW! :)

Will resume after nearly 2 months.

Back