The Fitness Thread !

good going. pls add these too to your references-list - FitnessFAQs (on YT & SM), Ross Enamait (on YT & SM + self-website), Shifu Yan Lei , Pavel Tsatsouline, Mike Mahler or/and Matt Furey (YT, SM, website, all three), CalisthenicsKingz (YT, SM, website), exrx (website), darebee (website). first 5-6 are very much recommended!

also, if you later on decide to have a couple of DBs as well, you could msg me and I will check with a fabricator here I know. they have a showroom and a catalogue. I could discuss with them about your requirements and may be send a few pics to you if they've a ready solution. could also make out a deal if everything's fine for you and get the pieces packed and shipped to your place if you decide to purchase.
Many thanks for those references & for offering to help with the dumbbells. You are too kind, :).

Will surely look those Gurus up, & will not hesitate to contact you should the need for custom-made dbs arise in the future. Much obliged.

Yes, I meant 2 on one side. I've added 7.5 kg on each side and I think could add another 5 kg on each side. Metal ones are obviously better, but they were too expensive for me. Comes at around 90/kg near my house. Rubber ones are 25/kg. Although they are huge, it hasn't significantly affected my ROM. You can add the heavier disc on the outer edge. I've got 5 pairs lying around, since I find changing the weights cumbersome. Around total of 100 kg, metal ones would have been too expensive.
Thanks for replying. So just to clarify, is this the configuration that you have currently?
image.jpg

If that is possible with rubber plates, then surely it's worth considering?!

My plan was to buy some 5kg, 1kg, 2kg & 3kg plates & use them in following configurations as I progress -
So for a single DB, the plates that would be added would be:
{Imagine the dotted line in the center is the rod & the numerals on either side are the plates}

#1: 5--------5 (10kg db)

#2: 1+5-------5+1 (12kg)

#3: 2+5-------5+2 (14kg)

....... & so on.

If you've managed to achieve a configuration of 5+7.5-------7.5+5, then achieving those lighter configurations should also be possible.

Again, thanks for taking the time. Cheers!

Last edited:
Many thanks for those references & for offering to help with the dumbbells. You are too kind, :).

Will surely look those Gurus up, & will not hesitate to contact you should the need for custom-made dbs arise in the future. Much obliged.

Thanks for replying. So just to clarify, is this the configuration that you have currently?
image.jpg

If that is possible with rubber plates, then surely it's worth considering?!

My plan was to buy some 5kg, 1kg, 2kg & 3kg plates & use them in following configurations as I progress -
So for a single DB, the plates that would be added would be:
{Imagine the dotted line in the center is the rod & the numerals on either side are the plates}

#1: 5--------5 (10kg db)

#2: 1+5-------5+1 (12kg)

#3: 2+5-------5+2 (14kg)

....... & so on.

If you've managed to achieve a configuration of 5+7.5-------7.5+5, then achieving those lighter configurations should also be possible.

Again, thanks for taking the time. Cheers!
Dont waste time and money on dumbbells, you are going to run out of weights soon.
Instead get a good barbell and keep buying plates as needed

Dont waste time and money on dumbbells, you are going to run out of weights soon.
Instead get a good barbell and keep buying plates as needed
It's fine if I run out of weights soon, tbh. This is just to get started. I don't even know if I'm gonna stick with building mass as a long-term fitness goal. If I do, I then have to eventually join a gym or create a home-gym anyway.

Right now, the plan is to use indoor cycling for cardio, & bodyweight for strength. The dumbbells, if at all, are just meant to supplement the others. The only reason I'm thinking of dbs is because I've used them in the past, & I got puny arms (for which I'm thinking about isolation exercises).

Having said that, I'm open to the idea of barbells for upper body exercises. (Squats & leg training is out of question because I got some issues with my knees that I need to figure out). So for the upper body exercises, will the starting weight be any different from the starting weight for 2 dbs? For instance, If each of my dbs is 10kg each, does it translate to 20kg on the barbell for upper body exercises?

Thanks for your time.

PS- & I wouldn't mind if you or anyone else wants to criticize my approach. Constructive suggestions are most welcome.

A small query - if I am having a bit of sore muscle, should I continue with resistance exercises?

Actually from last session, I am having a bit soreness in my chest, shoulder, back of my arm area. And anything I do for upper body would touch those muscles. Shall I rest for a day or two or shall I continue?

ps: I am a newbie at the gym, trying to loose some weight.

@kidrow - have you performed a deadlift ever earlier? if yes, how was the 'feel' on your knees? you could perhaps post/ask about your ailment on the ASMI forum.
an olympic rod/barbell would weigh around 20kg. my suggestion would be (esp. at this stage) to aim for training yourself in strength-building exercises/compound movements with weights (barring squats for now), & treat the isolation movements you were hinting at, as assistance exercises. DBs are of use for some 'non-conventional' too. other than those, thought of having a pair of kettlebells instead (though here, you cant add to the existing pair; will have to buy new for progressive load)?

A small query - if I am having a bit of sore muscle, should I continue with resistance exercises?

Actually from last session, I am having a bit soreness in my chest, shoulder, back of my arm area. And anything I do for upper body would touch those muscles. Shall I rest for a day or two or shall I continue?

if its only a bit, like you've written, its normal. its because you've just started with an exercise-routine, and this gradually reduces over time when your muscles/body start getting habituated to the load, unless you change the routine or add load. I'd suggest to may be take a day's rest & then continue from the next. else, crudely speaking, you'll be 'back to square one'. this effect is a part of the process of your body & muscles' adaption process, and on the path to a better stamina & strength. have a balanced diet, keep yourself well-hydrated, and supplement with moderate use of anti-oxidants, and you'll be better. prior performing your main sets, do a THOROUGH warm-up, and you would barely feel that you had soreness
(in my case, I get such a soreness when I change the load or train after some gap, two days after exertion. this may've to do with my rest-recovery cycle & inadequacy of it).

Just rest for a day. Or train lower body for the day. Next day you'll feel less sore. Start with small weights. If its ok, then slowly increase the weights. This is normal , your muscles are starting to get used to exercise.

Barbell itself will weigh 20kg, so u can practice with just the empty barbell till u get the form right
Thanks. Will keep that in mind.

Kilroy has already answered your question but if you are in the mood for further googling, DOMS (Delayed Onset of Muscle Soreness) is the term you are looking for.

@kidrow - have you performed a deadlift ever earlier? if yes, how was the 'feel' on your knees? you could perhaps post/ask about your ailment on the ASMI forum.
an olympic rod/barbell would weigh around 20kg. my suggestion would be (esp. at this stage) to aim for training yourself in strength-building exercises/compound movements with weights (barring squats for now), & treat the isolation movements you were hinting at, as assistance exercises. DBs are of use for some 'non-conventional' too. other than those, thought of having a pair of kettlebells instead (though here, you cant add to the existing pair; will have to buy new for progressive load)?
Hey thanks. I haven't performed deadlifts per se (only variations with dbs). & it's been a while since I strength-trained (bodyweight & dbs only, not barbell or set programs such as Starting Strength or Stronglifts etc). At the time, I didn't have any issues with my knees......

.......Let me just back up a bit here. A couple of years back, I was overweight & I needed to lose weight. So I started a mix of mainly aerobic routines (such as those on FitnessBlender, Jillian Michaels), with some bodyweight & db training. I hadn't had any knee issues before or during this phase. I did lose weight - about 10-15 kgs. Things were going well. Unfortunately, I hurt my foot (a non-exercise injury) & had to take a break from my routine. This is when I started experiencing discomfort in my knees. The discomfort is akin to stiffness that occurs, say, in the joints of the fingers which is usually alleviated by "cracking" the knuckles. This discomfort can happen at any time, not necessarily during exercise. In the past year, I experimented by varying routines, taking long breaks to give the knees a rest etc. But every time I got back to exercising, I felt as though I'm probably putting an additional strain. In the meantime, I gained back the weight.

The pain has never been sharp, & so I don't think it's some physiological flaw. Ideally, I should be consulting an ortho for confirmation. But I want to do that after one more fresh go at trying to lose weight. At the moment, my theory is that it is related to 'vata dosh' (Ayurveda).

So now, the plan is to lose the weight with indoor cycling (which isn't causing the same issues thus far, thankfully), & supplement it with strength training for the upper body. I'll take a call on the next step as & when I progress & how my body responds.

Again, thanks for everything.

@kidrow - had you ever mentioned this problem of yours in any post/thread here earlier? am getting a feeling that i had read this somewhere. for Vaat-afflictions, i think regular massage is prescribed as one basic measure (alongwith some needed dietary-changes), if its not grave. had you been in Mumbai I would've provided you with the contact-info and address of someone who's quite famous for successfully treating esp. joints-related ailments. but yes, reducing your weight & increasing your surrounding/overall muscle strength and flexibility should help. anyway, i'll also check up about this issue with a friend who I think has/had a similar problem and see if he has anything useful to share.

I log all I eat everyday in myfitnesspal. Don't use their database of calories and foods. All the content is user filled and is inaccurate most of the times. I have made a list of my "own" foods with calorie details filled referring to google and other sites. I have it hidden from other users so that no-one can edit it lol. With the app I realized I was eating almost twice the food in every meal! It was an eye opener.

Rockfella.JPG

@kidrow - had you ever mentioned this problem of yours in any post/thread here earlier? am getting a feeling that i had read this somewhere. for Vaat-afflictions, i think regular massage is prescribed as one basic measure (alongwith some needed dietary-changes), if its not grave. had you been in Mumbai I would've provided you with the contact-info and address of someone who's quite famous for successfully treating esp. joints-related ailments. but yes, reducing your weight & increasing your surrounding/overall muscle strength and flexibility should help. anyway, i'll also check up about this issue with a friend who I think has/had a similar problem and see if he has anything useful to share.
Yes, I had mentioned it earlier in this very thread.

& yes, I'm from Mumbai. So it'd be great if you could share that contact info. Having said that, my knees are already starting to feel better after only a few days of exercising. Whether the improvement is psychological or physiological, only time will tell. But it'd be nice to have the contact info handy, should the need arise in the future.

I'd also be happy to hear any tips your friend might share.

Again, many thanks. Much appreciated.

Can anyone suggest me what exercises in a gym one can do to lose fat? I do elliptical daily for 5 days in a week (sometimes fewer days) for 40 minutes or so.

Someone told me doing weights is better for losing fat. What does doing weights mean? I mean what equipment?

@raksrules - to keep it simple, free weights (the non-cable equipment), like the barbell, the dumb-bells, kettlebells, and whatever you can use for resistance training (is what am suggesting you). i personally dont restrict myself to just one mode of training, but believe in putting myself to the 'rigours of variety' in it, ie, going through different methodologies from time-to-time or/and at regular intervals. however, wont talk about that or recommend to you at this stage. i'd suggest to start with simple bodyweight resistance exercises first, which'd include movements like push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, squats, dand, baithak, surya namaskaar, crunches, some jumps, etc. incorporate these in your regimen for some weeks. when you feel your strength has increased, move on to free weights. or, you can also mix both after sometime of starting bodyweight exercises, if you can take out time (do keep doing your elliptical exercise or some running too in between from time-to-time, say a day or two in a week, IMO). infact, am also going to follow a similar routine starting from today, after a rather long period of first a shoulder injury followed then by a debilitating sickness.

Can anyone suggest me what exercises in a gym one can do to lose fat? I do elliptical daily for 5 days in a week (sometimes fewer days) for 40 minutes or so.

Someone told me doing weights is better for losing fat. What does doing weights mean? I mean what equipment?
You wont loose fat till you change your diet , exercise is 10% diet 90% . Both cardio and weight training are important, if i have time crunch i give preference to weight training, retaining your muscle is very important and it also boosts metabolism for long periods . If you already go to a gym then you should ask your trainer and start doing weights .

You wont loose fat till you change your diet , exercise is 10% diet 90% . Both cardio and weight training are important, if i have time crunch i give preference to weight training, retaining your muscle is very important and it also boosts metabolism for long periods . If you already go to a gym then you should ask your trainer and start doing weights .
Unfortunately we are relocating soon and our community is having a gym but no trainer. I too have read about this thag diet is most important. I am definitely trying that as well.

Just to check, am I alone like that...
After or even during yoga I start to feel dizzy... Any ideas why it can be?

I am fine with other sports but with yoga training something goes wrong

Back