Linux The GNU Linux Thread

Do you use GNU Linux distro in your personal PC or laptop?

• Total voters
I don't have BitLocker enabled but I just confirmed that this issue is Fedora specific. Moments before typing this reply, I installed MX Linux exactly the way I wanted to install Fedora. Mounted the MX EFI on the Windows EFI partition (Without formatting), the other partition as / and a smaller partition as SWAP. And the installation was over in 1 minute. I am typing this from the MX Linux I just installed.

So I am not sure why Fedora is acting the way it is. I am attaching the error screenshots once again.

Yeah I too found the Fedora installer a bit tricky at first... are you sure you are actually mounting the partitions the way you want? I mean click on the EFI and enter the mount path on the blank field on the right side, stuff like that? I haven't used Fedora in a long time (I'm a diehard Ubuntu LTS-based distros fan) so can't remember the details but yes the installer is not intuitive. Just make sure you have backups of your important files if you want to try Fedora installation again.

Yeah I too found the Fedora installer a bit tricky at first... are you sure you are actually mounting the partitions the way you want? I mean click on the EFI and enter the mount path on the blank field on the right side, stuff like that? I haven't used Fedora in a long time
Well, the Fedora installer is surely counterintuitive as the "continue" button is replaced with "Done" and moved to top left instead of being in the bottom right. I was bamboozled when I saw this first. There is no back button. You need to click on "done" to get back. This is perfectly in line with stock Gnome which tries to make simple things as hard as possible.

Entering the mount points manually is an option. But you can alternatively select a partition, click on the "+" icon at the bottom left of the table and then select the mount point from the drop down list next to the empty space where you may type it yourself if so you please.

I have been attempting it correctly to no avail. This is surely a bug with the installer as I just installed a GNU Linux powered Debian distro in the blink of an eye. Not sure how others managed to install it. :3
Just make sure you have backups of your important files if you want to try Fedora installation again.
Probably not trying again. Maybe Fedora would work if the installer is allowed to wipe the entire disk which I am definitely not looking forward to.

If only MX Linux didn't look as horrible as it does, I'd prefer using it. Will try to make it more tolerable tomorrow but seriously, how does MX manage to look this dull and terrible while constantly topping the DistroWatch chart? For all the goodness it packs, the look is a complete let down.

This is my cue to make my obligatory plug for my two favourite distros - KDE neon and elementary OS :D

Try those if you are exploring Linux options... See neon.kde.org (download the "user edition") for a Windows-like UI and see elementary.io for a macOS-like UI.

PS: elementary.io website asks for payment (pay-what-you-can) but it has option to enter custom value where you can type in zero to get the download link.

Moments before typing this reply, I installed MX Linux exactly the way I wanted to install Fedora. Mounted the MX EFI on the Windows EFI partition (Without formatting), the other partition as / and a smaller partition as SWAP.
Installing fedora shouldn't take more than 5-15 min depending on the system. Calamares takes care of the setup for you.
When you're accustomed to Debian based distros why the urge to switch?

Also Fedora does provide spins if Gnome isn't to your liking. Actually Gnome looks more like Mac and KDE goes for the windows look in default config.
MX Linux and Distrowatch ranking troll new users to think what to go for these days XD...

For setting up dual boot here's what you gotta do-
- After installing windows or in windows make up free space. And that's it.
- boot into Fedora Workstation for gnome or Fedora KDE spin (Avoid Silverblue or kinoite if dual booting on a single disk is the goal).
- select the disk in partitioning and click automatic radio dial and click done. Proceed to install.
Fedora automatically detects the efi created by windows (some 100mb) and uses it. No need for manual intervention in partitioning. If you're too concerned then click advanced radio dial and click done and there's an underlined option for automatic creation for partitions using the free space.
Fedora creates these partitions when it detects efi already being there-
# around 1 GB ext4 partition for kernels (that would load)
# rest of the space for root in btrfs.

No swap partition required as Fedora uses ZRam instead. That's it. I'm finding it a bit amusing as installer isn't the bad thing I've come to see about fedora, it's rather the cadence of its updates these days. I've setup my system with snapshots for that.
Maybe when immutable variants are more mature then I'll switchover.

Fedora automatically detects the efi created by windows (some 100mb) and uses it. No need for manual intervention in partitioning. If you're too concerned then click advanced radio dial and click done and there's an underlined option for automatic creation for partitions using the free space.
Fedora creates these partitions when it detects efi already being there-
# around 1 GB ext4 partition for kernels (that would load)
# rest of the space for root in btrfs.
I have never installed any Linux distro with auto partitioning. It's important for me to have the control over what gets installed and where. I am not not particularly new to installing Linux. I never lost any data or ran into corruption while installing any Linux distro since my very first attempt years back. This is precisely because I never let any installer touch anything other than what and how I specified. I have successfully installed Arch from scratch (Using command line) on my very first attempt.

Not that these are any "achievements" to write about but I mentioned them to get the point across that I am not a complete noob.

I have already attached screenshots of the errors I am getting with the Fedora Workstation installer. The matter of fact is that I installed Mint once again this morning without fail while opting for manual partitioning. Fedora still shows the same error. This is not worth it. Wasting time over a simple installer error is not worth it. I am staying with Mint.
Dual boot is always a risk, better to install on separate disks if you can.
The only risk I can think of is a corrupt bootloader. In that case, one can boot from Windows USB and fix it easily with CMD/Startup Repair. I personally never ran into any issues even with Arch.

I have never installed any Linux distro with auto partitioning. It's important for me to have the control over what gets installed and where. I am not not particularly new to installing Linux. I never lost any data or ran into corruption while installing any Linux distro since my very first attempt years back. This is precisely because I never let any installer touch anything other than what and how I specified. I have successfully installed Arch from scratch (Using command line) on my very first attempt.

Not that these are any "achievements" to write about but I mentioned them to get the point across that I am not a complete noob.

I have already attached screenshots of the errors I am getting with the Fedora Workstation installer. The matter of fact is that I installed Mint once again this morning without fail while opting for manual partitioning. Fedora still shows the same error. This is not worth it. Wasting time over a simple installer error is not worth it. I am staying with Mint.

The only risk I can think of is a corrupt bootloader. In that case, one can boot from Windows USB and fix it easily with CMD/Startup Repair. I personally never ran into any issues even with Arch.
Not a complete noob, only somewhat. You've not changed the default btrfs option, which your partitions clearly aren't, you haven't typed any mount points into the input boxes that say "Mount Point". The installer even says on the very first line that you've not define any mount points. At minimum you need /boot/efi and / . I tried to install fedora just to check if a distro with so much backing and dev support has a broken/buggy installer, and that wasn't the case, managed to configure the partitions on the first try, and btw I don't use arch, I use the noob option, Ubuntu.

Linux, sadly is not for users who aren't willing to think (and I want this to get better, for more people to start using Linux) and if you've selected anything apart from the default partitioning scheme (in this case letting the installer choose the scheme), be prepared. A fair feedback to fedora folks here would be, highlighting the input boxes with red and throw a simple message that you must fill this.

Attachments

• 20240722_151522.jpg
    20240722_151522.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 19
you haven't typed any mount points into the input boxes that say "Mount Point". The installer even says on the very first line that you've not define any mount points. At minimum you need /boot/efi and /
I will boot into the Fedora live session once again but I did specify the mount points by first selecting the EFI partition and then clicking on /boot/efi from the drop down menu. Every time I tried this, the installer showed this error (The one I am attaching). I was under the impression that selecting from the drop down meant the same thing as typing it manually. Maybe I was wrong on this. So I will type it now as you said and revert back with the result. To be honest, I only have some surface level knowledge on Linux like installation, setting up and a bit of terminal. I am excited to learn it. :)
Linux, sadly is not for users who aren't willing to think (and I want this to get better, for more people to start using Linux)
I am actually trying to learn Linux while being on Linux.

Attachments

• IMG-20240721-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20240721-WA0005.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 15
I will boot into the Fedora live session once again but I did specify the mount points by first selecting the EFI partition and then clicking on /boot/efi from the drop down menu. Every time I tried this, the installer showed this error (The one I am attaching). I was under the impression that selecting from the drop down meant the same thing as typing it manually. Maybe I was wrong on this. So I will type it now as you said and revert back with the result. To be honest, I only have some surface level knowledge on Linux like installation, setting up and a bit of terminal. I am excited to learn it. :)

I am actually trying to learn Linux while being on Linux.
They are likely not same, from the installer help section (top section in your screenshot ) it looks to me the + option creates new mount points from unallocated (unformatted) space, but to assign mount points to existing partitions you need to type, and select update.

They are likely not same, from the installer help section (top section in your screenshot ) it looks to me the + option creates new mount points from unallocated (unformatted) space, but to assign mount points to existing partitions you need to type, and select update.
You're correct. I actually feel dumb right now ngl. The thought of typing it crossed my mind many times but I brushed it off thinking it wouldn't work. It did. The solution to my problem was just typing "/boot/efi" and clicking on "update settings". Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-07-22 15-46-40.png
    Screenshot from 2024-07-22 15-46-40.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 17
Yeah the fedora installer experience... they really need to revamp this confusing mess. I have installed fedora multiple times and it still confuses me here and there.

I was speaking from personal experience with laptops. Switchable PCI-E components like network cards and especially GPUs not behaving as expected or not properly switching ON/OFF has been a problem multiple times. Hours of tracking with journalctl and trying to fix was pita early on. So I made my peace with windows and nuked it. Stayed with fedora and if I have a itch to try other distro or want to get a package that's not readily available on other distro, distrobox is my fix these days.

A fair feedback to fedora folks here would be, highlighting the input boxes with red and throw a simple message that you must fill this.
This, my qualms are with that cursed disk selector having BoW checkbox with grey disk images. Always have to double check.
They should also bring back kickstart guide for latest release.

Back