The Indie Gaming Scene - News, Views & Reviews

http://www.routinegame.com/

Routine is a first person horror exploration game set on an abandoned Moon base. Your job is to find enough data to uncover the truth behind the strange disappearance of everyone stationed on the Lunar Research Station.

- A non linear experience lets you explore any part of the fully open Moon base and find out secrets that other players may not!
- Be immersed with Full body awareness, Deadzone aiming, no HUD, no health bars or points system... you must run, hide and survive the best you can against what lurks in the base.
- There are no health packs or multiple lives, in Routine there is a Perma death system that will keep you on the edge!

This is going to be a tough one! The perma-death system is giving me the creeps. :dead:

Just 4 guys developing the game WTH! :eek:

Looks very cool! As for the perma-death system, I wont be surprised if the devs tweak/change it to make it a part of "hardcore/pro" mode much like Torchlight.

Also, check PM. :)

Terrible news! That Dragon, Cancer is exclusive to the Ouya. :banhappy:

http://thatdragoncancer.com/

We have some big news to share with you. We are launching That Dragon, Cancer on the game console OUYA in 2014. Additionally, OUYA has chosen to invest in the game to assist with development costs and ensure our game gets made.

If you’ve followed the often turbulent launch of the OUYA, you may be wondering why we’re partnering with such an outspoken upstart. Well, the short answer is, they have the guts to make something they believe in, in an industry that is stacked against their success. They aren’t complaining about what the industry should be, instead, they’re making it in their image.

Making games is a tough business. It’s expensive, and competitive, and it’s often brutal and unforgiving. The television game console has been a platform that few indies have had success in. It is prohibitively expensive for most indie studios to publish and high development costs prevent most publishers from taking the risk with a “game” that, say, explores the trials, joys, and tears of fighting childhood cancer.

We needed a partner willing to take a chance on us, and who was able to see the interactive medium for what it is capable of and not just for its current market trends.

Well, we have Gannu to thank for that. I had not even heard of the game until I saw his post in this thread.

Just out of curiosity, how long is the game?

Well, we have Gannu to thank for that. I had not even heard of the game until I saw his post in this thread.

Just out of curiosity, how long is the game?

True that...Thanks Gannu for informing us about it!

The game is around 10 hours max.

No problem guys. I am glad another member played the game and liked it. Not many here unfortunately took it up despite my recommendation. Nvm that.

Ricky Sir, please attempt it when you find some spare time. The puzzles are very easy and more than anything, the emotions in the game is amazing sometimes heart-wrenching. The dev. has no doubt had a hard time coping up with his drunkard father.

Not sure how this one skipped our radar but Gone Home developed by The Fullbright Company (former employees of 2K Games) has been receiving rave reviews all over with the Metascores at 89% right now. User reactions are a bit mixed however.

The game is played in an interactive first person mode. There's no shooting involved (checked the control scheme), move, crouch, interact, zoom - that's it. The main protagonist is a girl Kaitlin who arrives home after a year long vacation only to find the family members missing. The rest forms the crux of the storyline.

Started the title and had to quit early due to dinner and Broadchurch serial. Shall finish the game today because most say that it is a short game and can be completed in a single sitting.

Looks good. Looking for a fix of epicness after BioShock Infinite.

OT: I tried Alan Wake and the game was so utterly boring for me.

Completed Gone Home. It was a really short affair and lasted approx. 3 hours and thereabouts.

Fantastic game it is and has a really good script for a game. The initial bits may feel a bit spooky (huge mansion, empty, family members missing, heavy rains + thunder outside!) but grows on you later on. For the most part, the protagonist has to search for answers through clues left on scraps, notes, waste papers from the bins, letters, post cards, audio tapes and the important ones are recorded in the journal. Explore, explore and explore - that's all that there is to this game.

The only sad part is it is retailing for 20USD on Steam and Humble Bundle. That isn't justified. Anything like 8 or 10 may have been but not definitely 20! Will donate a copy to someone when it turns up on a cheaper humbundle later on.

Gunpoint is awesome.
Also, do play Hector. Not really an indie game as was developed by TTG (TWD/Sam & Max/Monkey Island fame), but really awesome nevertheless. Really good brit humor (though not for those easily offended) and racks your brain cells.

This game looks REALLY interesting. Plus it has a great art style and a nice soundtrack to boot!

Lots of info on the official site. - http://www.contrast-thegame.com/

Game Info-
CONTRAST is a platform/puzzle game where you can move between a fantastic 3D world and a mysterious shadowy universe in 2D in the blink of an eye. Delve into a dreamlike and surreal 1920s world, inspired by the performance art world of vaudeville and film noir, and cradled by a jazzy atmosphere.

In this universe, where the boundaries between showmanship, magic, intrigue and deception are blurred, you play Dawn, the imaginary friend of a young girl named Didi. You have the power to slip from the 3D dreamscape into the parallel 2D shadow world bound to it. Shed light on a shadowy story by manipulating light sources in the 3D world to distort, enlarge or stretch the 2D shadow world. Manipulating and shifting between light and shadow will be the key elements that help you solve the many puzzles that will test your gray matter!

Release Info
First things first, we’re hoping to release the game on 15 November 2013. It’ll be coming out on the PC (Steam), PS3, PS4 (both via PSN) and Xbox 360 (through XBLA).

Contrast will be $15. We’ll also sell a Collector’s Edition for $20, that will include a digital version of our art book (a first draft of which we showed a few people at PAX East and PAX Prime), and a sound track.

Pre-orders: we’ll be looking at pre-orders very roughly a month in advance. There will be an advantage to pre-ordering, which we’ll announce when the pre-orders go live.

https://www.gameinformer.com/games/.../finding-beauty-in-the-world-of-contrast.aspx

Last edited:
Child of Light is not an "Indie" title in the strict sense of the word as its being developed by Ubisoft.
Posted it here because I doubt it would be of any interest to regular FPS type gamers who read the regular Games thread.
According to the dev, "Child of Light" is an RPG where the "dialogue is written Rhyme as the game is intended to be a playable poem".
I particularly liked the art style.
Another neat feature is that the game allows players to leave messages/hints, warning their friends about whats coming up ahead in the level if playing online.
Below is a short dev commentary about the game. Have a look if for no other reason than to see the art style. Shades of Limbo in there... :)
Just noticed there's a full review on Shack as well -

"Child of Light is Ubisoft's gorgeous UbiArt-powered turn-based RPG game from Far Cry 3 creative director Patrick Plourde. Coming to pretty much every home console in 2014, the game is inspired by classic JRPGs, specifically Final Fantasy and, more accurately, Grandia.

Today, Ubisoft released a new trailer with lead programmer Brianna Code giving a walkthrough of a mission from their upcoming game. In this demo, you'll see Aurora and her companion Igniculus the firefly explore a town where everyone has inexplicably turned into crows. Written entirely in rhyme, Aurora must battle enemies in order to get to the bottom of the mystery.

The combat system takes large cues from Grandia, with characters able to interrupt actions by striking during vulnerable periods. By using Igniculus' ability to blind and slow down enemies, you can manipulate the timeline to best interrupt enemies. Of course, you'll be able to level up and grow your character in a rather large skill tree, seen briefly in this walkthrough."

Last edited:
Played Gone Home over the weekend. Not a big fan. Its a very short game. The story is good. But there is nothing much for the player to do. Feels same like playing Dear Esther. But compared to that marvel, this game didnt push me to finish it. Would not rate it so high as 9.5. 7/10 maybe.

Back