~ The Mobile Phone Advisor ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
tmpah.png

Are you planning to buy a new phone? Unable to decide among the options?

Well, Just drop in your requirements & I'll help you out.

Valuable inputs from other members are also welcome.

Let's maintain this as an exclusive thread, to help those in need.
:hap2:

Cheers,

The.Toxic.Mind

GUIDELINES :

1. Refrain from posting irrelevant queries

2. Post your primary requirements & specify a budget

3. Your query will be addressed eventually, so please be patient

hp-india said:
@TTM: How is the HTC Touch Viva compared to other 12K mobiles. Is it VFM? A friend is planning to buy one.

It depends for what purpose he will be using it.

If he will use wi-fi and messaging a lot then I think Nokia E63 is a bit better because of its QWERTY keyboard, faster processor and great battery life.

But the Touch Viva has the advantage of being a touchscreen phone and so is good for showing off too.

Hi Techies, Im planning to go in for a brand new mobile, but the wishlist is pretty huge which has left me totally confused, you guys will have to come to rescue here!

I want a Nokia mobile only with good camera & browsing features. Also the phone should be a main stream phone(S60), sold in good nos. Looks is also an issue.
Price band could be 15-25k

Phone which Im considering are :
N82 - If its available with Nokia priority or with bill elsewhere. Price - ~14k(?)
N79 - Don't like the concept of xpress covers, feels girly. Price ~14k
N85 - Again looks not to my liking, too kiddish. Price ~ 20k
N86 - Top of the list but heard of faulty firmware, bulky. -Price ~23k
N96 - Battery is an issue. Price ~ 22k

Among the upcoming, my eyes are set on E55/52, but don't know expected price & launch timing.

Quite a wishlist I know, but have to choose one among them, please guide me towards the best of the lot.

hp-india said:
@TTM: How is the HTC Touch Viva compared to other 12K mobiles. Is it VFM? A friend is planning to buy one.

If he's looking for a Touchscreen PDA, this is one of the best options available followed by a few (cheaper) models from Asus.

Another option as suggested by hotshot05 is the Nokia E63 !

What are his primary requirements ?

~ T.T.M ~

teche said:
Hi Techies, Im planning to go in for a brand new mobile, but the wishlist is pretty huge which has left me totally confused, you guys will have to come to rescue here!

I want a Nokia mobile only with good camera & browsing features. Also the phone should be a main stream phone(S60), sold in good nos. Looks is also an issue.

Price band could be 15-25k

Phone which Im considering are :

N82 - If its available with Nokia priority or with bill elsewhere. Price - ~14k(?)

N79 - Don't like the concept of xpress covers, feels girly. Price ~14k

N85 - Again looks not to my liking, too kiddish. Price ~ 20k

N86 - Top of the list but heard of faulty firmware, bulky. -Price ~23k

N96 - Battery is an issue. Price ~ 22k

Among the upcoming, my eyes are set on E55/52, but don't know expected price & launch timing.

Quite a wishlist I know, but have to choose one among them, please guide me towards the best of the lot.

It's got to be the Nokia N86 !

Yes, it is comparatively bulky but something one can live with, keeping its specs. in mind.

The latest firmware version for the N86 is v11.043.

These are some improvements apart from other minor bug fixes :

- Downloads! replaced by OVI Store

- OVI Store service launcher preloaded in the device and the actual client can be downloaded in the OVI

- Nokia Maps orientation functionality improves usage in landscape

SW improvements and corrections:

- Better imaging experience especially in video mode

- Nokia Maps 3.0.1 replacing Maps 3.0

- Improvements in Browser, Share Online, Camera, SettingsWizard

- Image quality: ‘half’ light pictures improved

- Text is not correctly line on Email corrected

- Launch of installed widgets improved

Forget the E55/52 if you need a multimedia device.

~ T.T.M ~

Thanks TTM, ya I too narrowed it down to N86, but N96 at ~ the same price creates confusion, only if the battery could do a la N95 8GB!

What about N82, is it still available with Nokia priority?

I've also heard that with the firmware update, a peculiar hanging problem hasn't been taken care of.

Also, N79 for ~ 14k also appeals a lot.

teche said:
Thanks TTM, ya I too narrowed it down to N86, but N96 at ~ the same price creates confusion, only if the battery could do a la N95 8GB!

What about N82, is it still available with Nokia priority?

I've also heard that with the firmware update, a peculiar hanging problem hasn't been taken care of.

Also, N79 for ~ 14k also appeals a lot.

First Off, S60 phones tend to hang during usage, every now and then.

So it shouldn't be too much of a concern unless it's evident and continuous.

Yeah, the Nokia N82 Black is still available in a few stores.

You feel the Nokia N79 is GIRLY, so don't let the price tempt you. :p

I'm sure you now have a pretty good idea about your options,

so I'll let you decide... :hap2:

~ T.T.M ~

Thanks again Toxic, yes you are right S60 Phones tend to hang but I was concerned about this evil happening more often in some devices & I've heard N86 is one of them. I might be wrong too!

If I get a N82 Black tomorrow, Im going in for it. Any ideas on price?

Ya, I should let go of N79's idea, was never a fan of interchangeable covers.

BTW, does N95 8GB make some sense today?

Also a thing a note about N86, its camera lens tends to get scratched with the the lens cover provided! Pathetic isn't it!

I need a new mobile phone my budget is up to 4k. Primary things I am looking for is the ability to use it as a modem with netbook (either through bluetooth or usb), decent talk and standby time and of course reliability. Extra feature although good, aren't really that important to me.

@teche - go gor N86 or N82 .. avoid any other .. N85 and N96 are flop shows.. Who said N86 has faulty firmware .. I have been using one for the last one month..

@max - get N82 .. Best nokia till date ..

teche said:
Thanks again Toxic, yes you are right S60 Phones tend to hang but I was concerned about this evil happening more often in some devices & I've heard N86 is one of them. I might be wrong too!

If I get a N82 Black tomorrow, Im going in for it. Any ideas on price?

Ya, I should let go of N79's idea, was never a fan of interchangeable covers.

BTW, does N95 8GB make some sense today?

Also a thing a note about N86, its camera lens tends to get scratched with the the lens cover provided! Pathetic isn't it!

1. Yeah, Manufacturers are always in a hurry to squeeze in a hell lot of features and forget all about the basic ergonomics & design considerations. :(

2. Nokia N82 ~ 18.7K*

3. Yes, the Nokia N95 8GB still is a wise option.

It is bulky but still is one hell of a device.

~ T.T.M

Yogesh Sarkar said:
I need a new mobile phone my budget is up to 4k. Primary things I am looking for is the ability to use it as a modem with netbook (either through bluetooth or usb), decent talk and standby time and of course reliability. Extra feature although good, aren't really that important to me.

The Nokia 3110 Classic (3.8K*) is the only viable option !

~ T.T.M ~

* Plus 4% VAT

hello TTM again

This time I need to buy the cheapest symbian for my younger brother
he needs good battery life and good looks. camera/music are not important.
it has to be a symbian

thanks in advance

netwitx said:
hello TTM again

This time I need to buy the cheapest symbian for my younger brother
he needs good battery life and good looks. camera/music are not important.
it has to be a symbian

thanks in advance

If you want cheapest Symbian OS phone with good battery life then you will have to buy the Nokia E51.

If your brother can manage with average battery life then the cheapest will be Nokia 5320XM or Samsung i450. But the problem is that both have been discontinued and so you will have to search a bit before you can find one.

So my suggestion is to buy the E51 as it is easily available.

Note: Here I gave my suggestion assuming that by Symbian OS you meant Symbian S60 v9 FP1 and above.
If you want to buy pre FP1 devices like the N70 then you can buy them for a bit less than the ones I mentioned.

Bought a Nokia 5130 today for Rs.5795.

I exchanged my 2 year old Nokia 5300 whose LCD was not working properly and got a discount of Rs.1500.

So I had to pay Rs.4295 only.

In the package was a 1GB memory card and the tiniest microUSB cable I have ever seen. I will have to buy a USB extension cable next.

But the phone feels great. Good build quality and large capacity battery(1020mAh according to GSMArena).

Great buy according to me.

Need a sugggestion:

Requirements:

5MP with auto focus and flash

Good responsive touch screen

Multimedia features

Good for Messaging

Budget 22k

*Mobile Phone is for a female who loved the touch response of the iphone, but that is way outta budget, so I need a phone which is atleast 90% as goo in touch response.

**Mandatorly from India with bill, so the iphone is outta question

Considered the following:

N79 .... sounds like a good bargain, but not a touch screen so not sure [~15k]

HTC Diamond .. its an old phone, so no reviews with the newer firmwares to suggest its worthiness [~21k]

Samsung Jet ... Gorgeous Amoled + 5MP+800MHz processor...not sure abut General usability and people views ...are games available for download since it has a new Samsung OS...what about resale value for the Samsung's [~22k]

Samsung Pixon ..Is it better than the jet ? [~23k]

Anything else ????

Are the prices correct ????

There are some apprehensions about the Samsung, Is it a good worthy phone.

No SE Ericcson pls, bored of the UI, its almost the same in all the phones.

Just bought the N79 yesterday for 16.8k :S

Base price = 14.8k + 2k VAT :mad:

12.5% VAT? Man, Maharashtra is a fcuked up place to buy cell phones now for a year at least. Unless you buy from the grey market in Mumbai without warranty :p

I love the phone though, it's really a gem. Sleek, stylish, great cam, big enough display. I have a suspicion that the panel is scratch prone and the colors may come off in a little while though. Can any of you guys owning this phone confirm if it scratches/fades easily? I was thinking of stocking up on some original N79 panels. Do any of you forumites know any place online I can buy original mobile phone panels? The Nokia Care centre here does not have panels of any decent phones :bleh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back