The Notion Ink - Adam thread

Re: Notion Ink Adam delayed.... again..! (New update: More delays..!)

6pack said:
bah, its vaporware. they're always blaming someone or other everytime, not themselves. stupid company just wants to hog headlines.

Vaporware usually comes from big companies like Intel or Microsoft that have enough money to invest in a prototype and scrap it. For start ups a failure means closing shop. If Notion Ink still exists, then Adam exists as well. They won't be stupid enough to invest more if they think the product is going to become a failure. From the rumors I heard, These guy's have backing from Reliance as well and if that is true, the actual prices would be pushed to rock bottom. There is already indication from them that the prices are going to be considerably lower than iPad.
stalker said:
Engadget for some reason had a diametrically opposite story to what was up on slashgear :S

If you don't realize yet, Engadget writers are heavenly biased towards Apple. Every non-apple product is given a unfair and smug sounding review/ write up that's often even insulting to the intelligence of the readers. Basically they are last place you would want to go for news pertaining to anything non-Apple and definitely not for anything that even remotely competes with Apple. Sometimes their articles make me wonder whether they are not under full time pay of Apple.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Second Part from SlashGear

Notion Ink Adam: Pricing and more - SlashGear

Four versions of Adam will be launched: each will use NVIDIA’s Tegra 2, but there will be Pixel Qi and LCD models and a choice of WiFi-only or WiFi and 3G. The company has confirmed that all will come in under the cost of a basic iPad; our source tells us that the LCD version will cost $399 for the WiFi-only and $449 for the 3G model, while the Pixel Qi version will cost $449 for the WiFi-only and $498 for the 3G model. We’ve also heard that, if Notion Ink can clinch a last minute deal they’re working on, a further $25 could be shaved from each of those figures, plus there will be special discounts for universities and students.

so for voracious readers who go with pixel Qi version they will have to spend close to 25k rupees? At that price point who is going to buy it? Seems like the wait for a below 10k e-ink tech reader is a long or never ending one.

6pack said:
so for voracious readers who go with pixel Qi version they will have to spend close to 25k rupees? At that price point who is going to buy it? Seems like the wait for a below 10k e-ink tech reader is a long or never ending one.
Nobody had claimed that this was going to be a sub 10k e-ink based reader.
Also, this was never meant to be just a e-ink based reader device.

This pricing effectively means that they can whoop the iPad on that front at least.. obviously comparisons are going to be made against the iPad simply because it is pretty much the only device out there in this category.

If this thing can be hacked to run the Android, it would be awesome! :D

Desecrator said:
Way to not readup :|

It runs Android by default :|

@Gannu: :p No need to hack. It runs Android.

@6pack: It was never intended to be a sub 10k e-reader. It is more in line with the likes of Kindle DX and iPad. But with the features on offer, I would rather spend 25k on this than 20k+ on the DX, and definitely not a penny on the iPad.

My bad! I thought it ran on some modified Java based platform? Or did they change it mid way through? :ashamed:

*should have read the recent updates*

Desecrator said:
LOL... Where were you all this time? It will run Android 2.2 (Froyo) by default with a custom Skin on top and it would be Gingerbread compatible as well (As per their claims). and there is talk that it will be able to run some version of Ubuntu as well. Its Tegra 2 based (Dual Core Cortex A9 @ 1GHz + Good GPU) and does pretty well on power consumption as per initial reports (140 Hours in eBook mode and 16 Hours for HD Video). It has expandable storage and USB Ports which makes it a good Netbook replacement.

The only good thing I care about this device is it has a god damn HDMI port and plays 1080p flawlessly. :p

Saw the pricing at the Engadget link - not bad IMO. :)

That's great news. I just hope it comes out on time without further delays. I'll definitely buy one, maybe the wifi pixel qi version.

How much more time will it take?.. :-/

It is too late... I have avoided iPad, Kindle just because of Adam. :(

Even though it is an Indian company, it is strange to hear that the Indian Release will be after a week from US release :(

blufox said:
How much more time will it take?.. :-/

It is too late... I have avoided iPad, Kindle just because of Adam. :(
Why are you comparing a tablet with an ebook reader ??

i seriously cant wait for this device. anyone have probably date? hard to believe its an Indian company lol

Back