Graphic Cards The Nvidia Fermi / GTX 4XX Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fake or not, it looks good on paper. Only. For now at least. The pricing will play a major role and also the time of release. I think ATI has taken the graphics crown for now and will continue to rein unchallenged for quite sometime.

We r really doomed...

we won't GT 300 until 2010...

ATI being ridiculously priced & HTPC cards likes GT210 & 220 F***** us all...

morgoth said:
does it has so many wires protruding from it that Nvidia can't show it to even press? This was the argument of Nvidia when Jensun waved that fake Fermi board... please confirm?

Also, according to Charlie, Nvidia has seven working Fermi chips. Did you see one of them or was it the eighth one?

also some hint/leak will be nice. For now, even some info about the board, cooling system, or power connectors will do :p

:rofl:

idk if this was one of the 7 or the 8th and all :rofl:Stop trusting everything Charlie has to say :p Why do you think TheInq let him go? coz somehow he managed to convert incisive journalism into crappy fanboyism(or paidboyism).

i've seen a RT demo which is being developed for the launch..

stalker said:
:rofl:
Stop trusting everything Charlie has to say :p Why do you think TheInq let him go?

Sorry for the off topic...but who is charlie?...have seen that name being mentioned in couple of places..

fire said:
Sorry for the off topic...but who is charlie?...have seen that name being mentioned in couple of places..

charlie demerijan, an nvidia hater who masquerades as a journalist. he has his own website, semiaccurate.com where he writes articles in which there is outright lying about the state of affairs with fermi (currently) and nvidia in general. it is the height of fanboyism actually. the problem is, charlie has seemingly legit sources. so, quite a few times, his information turns out to be accurate and thus is worth looking at. however, his articles are extremely biased and editorialized. so, if there is 20% accurate information, then there is 80% lies and biased reporting in his articles. and it's very difficult to tell apart the facts from the bullshit, which is why he has very little credibility and should generally not be taken seriously. it's also no surprise that his site was littered with ati advertisements until at least a couple of weeks ago ;)

spindoctor said:
charlie demerijan, an nvidia hater who masquerades as a journalist. he has his own website, semiaccurate.com where he writes articles in which there is outright lying about the state of affairs with fermi (currently) and nvidia in general. it is the height of fanboyism actually. the problem is, charlie has seemingly legit sources. so, quite a few times, his information turns out to be accurate and thus is worth looking at. however, his articles are extremely biased and editorialized. so, if there is 20% accurate information, then there is 80% lies and biased reporting in his articles. and it's very difficult to tell apart the facts from the bullshit, which is why he has very little credibility and should generally not be taken seriously. it's also no surprise that his site was littered with ati advertisements until at least a couple of weeks ago ;)

Oh thanx for that information :)
*goes to start Anti-Ati Website called mis-information.com*..ok enough of my off topics..sorry again.

spindoctor said:
Oh right... greeatly put in black and white. I am not defending Charlie, but at least he has more hits than whatever Fudo or Theo score. I mean Fudo and Theo, who are employed as cushion by Nvidia against Charlie's attacks, do not even have decent sources.

You know, Fudzilla, BSN and SemiAccurate all indulge in kind of tech-tabloid form of journalism. There is very little substance in their news stories and almost everything is unsubstantiated. But often they are also the first ones to bring info about unreleased products.

actually, it sounds exactly like you are defending charlie. that's fine, his brand of 'journalism' obviously has to appeal to some people.

and yea, fuad is just as bad. he's a parrot that repeats nvidia pr on his site. i personally don't think any of them are worth anything. as for theo, i'm reading an article of his right now (about the whole batman anti aliasing drama and it doesn't seem particularly biased one way or another so far... link if you're interested)

edit - i'll add one more thing. charlie is openly abusive towards nvidia. much like a little child actually. the rest of them at least maintain some decency with the words they publish. not easy to take a 'journalist' seriously if he keeps adding personal insults in his writing. and it's not just his articles... you should see him getting into flame wars on the hexus/b3d forums. he seriously behaves like a maniac.

^ He does have very gonzo journalism style in his writing, but it's particularly at it's peak or above when it comes to nVidia. But like you said, thanks to his reliable sources, sometimes there's some degree of truth to his article and that's why it's kinda hard to ignore the point of this article sometimes.

Bu what I REALLY REALLY want to know is, what exactly went between nVidia and INQ (Charlie, then) some years back? for him to go berserk every-time someone says "nVidia".

^^ Edited... i don't think what I wrote was substantiated or was really the cause of tussle between Charlie and Nvidia

iGo said:
^ He does have very gonzo journalism style in his writing, but it's particularly at it's peak or above when it comes to nVidia. But like you said, thanks to his reliable sources, sometimes there's some degree of truth to his article and that's why it's kinda hard to ignore the point of this article sometimes..

I think its more like he gets authentic info about nVidia from dependable sources, but he tends to exaggerate/over dramatize the stuff while presenting it to the public. like for example there's that news about nVidia stopping production of most of its current GPU's. Most put it it off has BS, but it turned out to be true in end, but he presented the news in such a dramatic manner that an avg guy reading it would think that nVidia is going to close shop/leave GPU market in a day or two.

Although I myself predicted/ still predict that nVidia would change priorities and start de-emphasizing the GPU market (for their own good), it not going to happen that abruptly like in a day or two, but rather over a few years and in a graceful manner.

Lord Nemesis said:
Most put it it off has BS, but it turned out to be true in end, but he presented the news in such a dramatic manner that an avg guy reading it would think that nVidia is going to close shop/leave GPU market in a day or two.

exactly. it's like he thinks nvidia is going to die in the next 2 weeks or something. in reality, they are swimming in money, with larger capital, a larger marketshare... check out their 3rd quarter results - Nvidia posts higher quarterly profit - MarketWatch

yea, nvidia is definitely going to die by december :|. i wonder what charlie would have to say about this report.

Ironhide said:
here's something which i found today .......bad news for people who are waiting for the GT 300 to be launched in NOV.

Please read this link for more info:NVIDIA "Fermi" Products Delayed To 2010 | VR-Zone | Gadgets | PC Enthusiasts

there is also a small hint given by the NVIDIA CEO as for what the card would actually offer in terms of performance

Read through:Nvidia-CEO spricht über finalen Fermi-Chip - News - Hardware-Infos:D

I m happy to wait i guess :)

How does that line from jhh indicate that fermi is going to launch in 2010 :no:...
It states that whole line of products based on fermi will come in 2010, mainly the mainstream GPUs to compete with ATI's HD 5870,5850,5770 and 5750 will launch in 2010 Q1.
But the monster we are waiting for, might come as early as December 1st week, and ATI will have its HD 59xx ready for it...:)

But honestly, nothing can be said for sure...

naive_harry said:
How does that line from jhh indicate that fermi is going to launch in 2010 :no:...
It states that whole line of products based on fermi will come in 2010, mainly the mainstream GPUs to compete with ATI's HD 5870,5850,5770 and 5750 will launch in 2010 Q1.
But the monster we are waiting for, might come as early as December 1st week, and ATI will have its HD 59xx ready for it...:)

But honestly, nothing can be said for sure...

hey there are 2 links which i have attached...........first one says tht FERMI is launching in Q1 2010 ..........and the second is wht u have read and commented on:)

As far as consumer products go, NV100 will be a tough sell from the numbers game, as 15-month old ATI Radeon HD 4870 has equal amount of computational horsepower as the upcoming GeForce GTX 300 series with 1 and 1.5GB of GDDR5 memory. When we take a look at 2.72 TFLOPS delivered by ATI Radeon HD 5870 or the imminent launch of AMD's Hemlock, a dual-GPU board which according to Rick Bergman features "5 TFLOPS out of this baby" for $599.

History Revolvo Ipsum - History repeats itself
To us, NV100 i.e. GT300/Fermi architecture is looking more like NV30 every day. Revolutionary architecture, but underpowered, just like the first GeForce 256 [NV10] paved way for GeForce 3 [NV20] and GeForce 4 [NV25/28] and like NV30 paved way for NV40/45/47/RSX [essentially, GeForce 5800, 6800, 7800, 7900 and RSX are the same]. Do note that NV35 [FX5900] was "an anomaly", with added fixed-function shader hardware and wider memory controller to make GeForce 5800 architecture usable. How will NV100 fare? That chapter is still waiting to be written.
Fermi is less powerful than GeForce GTX 285?

According to specifications based on NV100 A2 silicon [subject to change], C2050 will deliver 520 GFLOPS of IEEE 754-2008 Dual Precision format and 1.040 TFLOPS of single precision. C2070 stands a bit better, 630 GLOPS of Dual-Precision and 1.26 TFLOPS in Single Precision. The single-precision numbers are the inconvenient reason why nVidia didn't mention single-precision performance on any of the Tesla launch slides. The numbers are a pretty big letdown, given that you can buy an EVGA's factory overclocked GT200-based GTX 285 FTW board, packing 1.063 single-precision TFLOPS. Truth to be told, previous generation Tesla C1060 only delivered 933 GFLOPS SP and mere 77 GLOPS in Dual Precision so scientific community can be happy with the precision increase.

Don't just quote what you want to :p

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk.../Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5870-specifications.aspx

# Processing power (single precision): 2.72 TeraFLOPS

# Processing power (double precision): 544 GigaFLOPS

from what ive heard fermi yeilds are very bad as of now...
probably atributed to the 3bil trannies on the beast, and also its the 1st large scale chip to come off the brand new tsmc 40nm process...

expect it to release late and costly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back