User Guides The Perfect BSNL Night Unlimited Solution

Here is the trick which i have almost perfected.

The Scenario.

As we all know the night unlimited starts from 2:00 AM and remains active with 8:00 AM. But the catch is that you need to disconnect and reconnect at 2:00 and 8:00 for the billing software of BSNL to register your free night unlimited downloads correctly. For this the best solution is to physically turn off and then turn on the modem @ 2:00 AM and again @ 8:00 AM. But that’s too much of a pain and also "What are comps for!!! ". The other way to do it is logging on to the router and then rebooting it @ 2:00 AM and 8:00 PM. As we all know the Beetel 220BX does reconnect automatically if you set it on the PPPoE mode. We will try to do automate the second process so that we can have our peace of mind during late nights.

The Hardware, The Software and The Settings:

Hardware:

Beetel 220BX Modem
Netgear WGR614 Wireless router
I am making this a little tricky for the simple reason that everybody today has a Wi-Fi router connected to their ADSL modems for ease of use with Notebooks. So the automation has to be done in such a way that all the aspects are taken care of.

Software:

Mozilla Firefox Browser
Notepad :p
utorrent

Settings:

220BX Modem having IP as 192.168.1.1
Router having a static/dymaic IP between 192.168.1.2 – 192.168.1.255
Desktop/Laptops taking Dynamic IP’s from the router between 192.168.1.2 – 192.168.1.255
(Note that if you are not having a Wi-Fi router in between then also it does not make a difference. Only difference will be your Desktop will have a Static IP between 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.255. You have dynamic IP’s but I’ll be testing the same with static IP’s.)

Procedure:

First things first. Fire up utorrent and then click on Options>Preferences>Scheduler
Next click on enable Scheduler and then colour the slots between 2:00 – 8:00 to dark green and rest as white(Where Dark Green is full speed and White is Turn off Downloading).
Click on ok. You should see that all the downloading has been stopped (Considering the time is not between 2:00 and 8:00)
Now your utorrent is scheduled.

Next step is to fire up Notepad. Put in this line in the notepad
Code:
 C:\Progra~1\Mozill~1\firefox.exe -new-tab [URL]http://admin:password@192.168.1.1/rebootinfo.cgi[/URL]
Where your username and password for the modem is admin and password. If not then change the username and password with the ones you have saved in your modem.
Save the file as Reboot.bat at a convenient location. Best place is directly in C:\ or your Windows installation partition.
Run it. For the first time your browser will give you an alert message that you are trying to logon to a website with the admin username. Click on ok. Wait for around 1 Min. Your modem should reboot during this time. If not then there is something wrong somewhere. Check everything from the beginning again. And do not proceed further till your modem starts rebooting.

Now that your modem has started rebooting all you need to do is run this file at the desired time of yours. My guess is that about 2:05 AM is a good time to run this file, and again at 7:55 AM. The reason for that is that your PC time is not in sync with BSNL server’s and the 5 minutes rush will save you from those embarrassing bills.
To automate the whole process you need windows task scheduler. While writing this guide i am giving a example of Windows Vista OS and i guess Windows XP will work the same ways. I will try this same thing again at my home and post back if there are any necessary changes which have to me made.

Now click on Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Task Scheduler
In the Task scheduler on the right hand side in the actions pane click on “Create a basic taskâ€
A new window will pop up. Here in the name field just write “Modem Reboot at 2.05†and in the description field just write â€Take that you BSNL Suckersâ€.
Click on next and select Daily.
Click on next and select the start date as the present date and time as 2:05 AM (Don’t mess up the time. Don’t touch any thing else and click on next.
Click on start a programme and click on next. In this window browse for the reboot.bat file which we have saved earlier in the c:\ or any other desired location where you had saved it earlier. Click on next and then followed by finish.
Now repeat the entire task scheduler process from the beginning for rebooting the modem @ 7:55.
And now you are done. To do a test run you can either change your system time to 2:04 or create a test task scheduler 2 minutes from the present time and run it. But don’t forget to revert back the changes.
All this is fairly simple and almost foolproof. Just to be extra sure you can make the modem reboot @ 2.15AM and schedule a shutdown of windows @ 8:00 AM in the morning. Hopefully this trick should work with every other modem which is available in the market. If not then you need to find out the command to reboot the modem and put it in the bat file.
I found this single command to be a blessing in disguise and hopefully this guide will help quite a few of you in avoiding some billing nightmares.
Switch
Notes:
This guide assumes your modem is set to PPPoE mode and you don’t need to dial manually to connect to the net.
You are using utorrent as your P2P software.
You are on BSNL Night Unlimited and not on MTNL Night Unlimited.
You don’t work on your comp during the night unlimited hours. :bleh:
You don’t have a very big bank balance.

===================================================================

Added later. Suggestion by ..:: Free Radical ::.. for people who use there modem in Bridged mode.

You can simply use rasdial if you are in Bridge mode

copy this into a text file and save it has a .CMD batch file

CONNECT.CMD
Code:
@ECHO OFF

:CONNECT
rasdial <Connection Name> <Phone Number> <Password>
if NOT %ERRORLEVEL% ==0 GOTO FAILED
EXIT

:FAILED
GOTO CONNECT
DISCONNECT.CMD
Code:
rasdial <Connection Name> /DISCONNECT
Where <Connection Name> = Name of the bridge Mode WAN Miniport PPPoE dialer connection in your Network connections folder.
And use task scheduler to run each whenever you desire.
Better than using a browser.

@Switch/all :

What i have -

MTNL 749NU

Beetel 220BX1

Dlink DI 524

The 220BX is on bridged mode with ip 192.168.1.1

DI524 is where the dialing occurs since i have 3 PC's at my home

DI524 runs DHCP @ 192.168.101.xx subnet

My PC's internal ip - 192.168.101.212

Firstly i dont have access to my modem though my router since both of them run at different subnets. Also i cant have the dialing done at the modem since i have to forward ports and need to run virtual server.

I think rebooting the router will also do the trick, but i could'nt find a way to do this?

Rebooting the modem although it being on bridged mode will cause to session to end? If so how do i access my modem through the router? Should i use the same subnet the modem runs?

Well you gotta find a way to tell your router to disconnect and connect the modem at specified time... Rebooting Modem will not help you in anyways as you will need to connect again to the bsnl servers... I was just rebboting the modem cause i was in PPPoE mode which automatically dials to the servers as soon as it reboots or drops a connection... While in bridged mode it will just drop the connection as soon as it reboots but i don't think it will connect automatically after rebooting...

Also rebooting your wifi router will not help you in anyways... Its just like rebooting your PC while your modem is still on... But if you can specify your router that it asks your modem to connects again to the bsnl servers after rebooting then it will work but i doubt that cause i dont think the connection of the modem will drop to the bsnl servers if you reboot your router.

hmm..
im trying somwthing new.. im scheduling a mouse macro operation through iMacros addo in Firefox.. seems to be working fine, will tet tonite and revert back

kunaldhami said:
I am using BSNL H500 plan.I tried this method but could not do it.
Modem : Huawei quidway WA1003A

I made the batch file as said.
When I run the file it shows this

after clicking on YES it shows this

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
What may be the problem??
Please help me.
Thanks in advance

This is happening because your modem does not have a rebootinfo.cgi
This guide focuses on the Beetel 220BX modem, which you do not have

guys im having problems with switch's method,im using windows xp and cant get my way through the scheduled tasks option help me

Okey... If you have a Beetel 220BX modem then try the following... Works and is fool proof...

Download the attachment with the post and extract the same to c:\ts10

Now schedule a restart @ 2:05 and again @ 7.55 by pointing to restart.bet @ c:\ts10\restart.bat

Schedule utorrent to start @ 2:10

Thats it you are done...

This works through telnet... Will log on into the modem by supplying username as admin and password as password. Then it reboots the modem. If you have a different username/password other then admin and password then change the same in script.txt in c:\ts10

should definitely work now.

Attachments

• tst10.zip
    190.8 KB · Views: 270
hey i have another idea , why not use a program like winxp manager to reboot at 2 pm ,and make the programs like utorrent to autorun

after scheduling reboot it shows dis error-
The new task has been created,but may not run because the account information could not be set.

the specific error is:
0x80070005:access is denied

now wat 2 do....?

^ Select the option where it is said "Run only if logged in". Else, enter your user name and password in the RunAs dialog (would be greyed out if you are running as administrator and without a password). Also, ensure in the service command console (run services.msc) that the task scheduler and event manager services are set to automatic and are running.

If it still doesn't work, let me know. I'll script a custom scheduling app for you.

Using a WGR614v7 with the night unlimited automation is pretty inconvenient. There are a few configurations that can be used but all of them have their problems. I've just listed these congurations down:

1. Modem dials the PPoE connection and is connected to one of the router's LAN ports, router is essentially in bridge mode. To change one's IP address the modem can be rebooted either by telnet or the webpage method depending on what the modem supports; this can be automated. Here the problem is that since the client machines need to use the modem as the gateway and DHCP needs to disabled which can be quite a pain.

2. Modem is in bridge mode, router is in bridge mode and individual client machines dial their own PPPoE sessions. To change the ip address just close the pppoe connection and reconnect, this can be automated. The problem here is that if you need to dial a PPPOE connection on each client machine to access the net. This is especially difficult if the client is something like a smart phone.

3. Modem in bridge mode and router dials the PPPoE connection. IP address can be changed by rebooting the router, this can be automated. This I think is the best option as DHCP can automatically connect clients to the network with no manual TCPIP settings and no dialling is required on individual client machines. Problem is that remotely rebooting a WGR614v7 is not a listed feature and requires some hacking to actually operationalize.

Hence given a choice the best option is to get a router like WRT54GL or a buffalo router (which is the VFM option) flash with Tomato or DD-WRT and use that to dial the PPPoE connection and reboot itself as per the required schedule.

My $0.02.

what i do is boot up the computer at 2.05 am through bios it connects to internet on startup then utorrent start downloading as it is scheduled to do so at 2-8. then on the morning, i added a vista sidebar gadget to shutdown the pc at 7.55 am. keep it simple effective. what do u guys think???

Back