The Photography Thread !

Darky said:
Portrait

5143183558_b85f8f5087_z.jpg
Aces170 said:
Delirious and Stuge some amazing pics!!

Touch & go? by Sahil Udani, on Flickr
As I've requested earlier also multiple times that please either retain the exif data with the picture or mention the details here,

otherwise it's more of show-off thread :(

Stuge said:
Back from Kerala Trip
5230979630_2cb9c1c821_z.jpg

Tobbaco GND + 0.6 GND
Its just beautiful.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Guys I need advice regarding taking pics in broad daylight. Today I went for a ride and was clicking some shots of my friends and the problem was, when they stand in the shade the background gets overexposed. The background being filled with light due sunlight. I tried different aperture and exp settings but then not all the shots were satisfactory.

I feel I am screwing up with the metering mode. Could that be the problem or will a good UV filter be able to fix this?

harish_21_10 said:
Guys I need advice regarding taking pics in broad daylight. Today I went for a ride and was clicking some shots of my friends and the problem was, when they stand in the shade the background gets overexposed. The background being filled with light due sunlight. I tried different aperture and exp settings but then not all the shots were satisfactory.

I feel I am screwing up with the metering mode, could that be the problem or will a good UV filter be able to fix this?

No one to advice me on this?

I was reading through articles related to Polarizing filters and it will be able to fix the issues that I have mentioned. Do advice.

^^ Yes polarizing filters would do the trick, yet I would suggest using the gradient tool to selectively under expose the area. It worked wonders for me. BTW do post a hi-res pic, will try to check if PPing improves the effect (RAW files are the best as they retain almost all the details...)

^^

I dont wanna use PPing all the time..I prefer getting it right while taking the pictures...atleast for now, since I am still learning..

I was looking at polarizing filters and found the Hoya brands to be good but a little more expensive. How are the Marumi filters? Not sure if these are multicoated though.

The Free Leap by Sudarshan_SMD, on Flickr

harish_21_10 said:
I feel I am screwing up with the metering mode. Could that be the problem or will a good UV filter be able to fix this?

For P&S camera, I use flash in such conditions.

harish_21_10 said:
No one to advice me on this?

I was reading through articles related to Polarizing filters and it will be able to fix the issues that I have mentioned. Do advice.
Can you post some of your bad pics with their exif info, then only one can comment on improvement.

IIRC UV filters will not add to your photos only they are a protective gear for your lens. CPL (polarizing filters) are useful but you need to learn their use.

harish_21_10 said:
^^

I dont wanna use PPing all the time..I prefer getting it right while taking the pictures...atleast for now, since I am still learning..

I was looking at polarizing filters and found the Hoya brands to be good but a little more expensive. How are the Marumi filters? Not sure if these are multicoated though.

Actually for this issue, I would prefer PPing. Polarizing filters will give you a different output from what you desire, and its good only if you want that contrasting look.

Getting it right at the source, would entail reducing the exposure bias. As I said again, if you click in RAW loss of details due to over-exposure is low, the loss of detail due to under-exposure is higher. Hence if no choice is available, I would prefer over-exposing.

My two cents: if you are learning, dont give too much attention to technical details, especially the ones which can be corrected in software. I would put all my effort in getting the framing and composition right. Although I am not a fan of Ken Rockwell, do go through his article on framing and composition. Once you have started using the camera frequently, then try multiple bracketing options, and fidgeting in full manual settings. Technical details can be learned easily over time, but if you do not pay attention to the basics of framing and composing early on, you will find it hard to learn it later on.

Post the pic.

medpal said:
Can you post some of your bad pics with their exif info, then only one can comment on improvement.

IIRC UV filters will not add to your photos only they are a protective gear for your lens. CPL (polarizing filters) are useful but you need to learn their use.

I did read through articles and lot of forum topics related to CPL and feel that it could be the solution. But then need your suggestions first. Here are some pics that should be able to explain my concern.

Picasa Web Albums - Harish - Xbhp Meet

^^ I cant see the Exif data, but broadly: Reduce the ISO to it's lowest, stop down the aperture at f/7 or odd (unless you want a shallow DOF), and click in RAW. The over-exposed area can be easily captured in RAW...

Lower the exposure bias a notch, and check. Or if you have the RAW file, just lower the exposure when you load the image into any image conversion software.

BTW dont expect any miracle pictures in the harsh light. The polarizing filter might help compensate the landscape exposure, but human subjects will appear under-exposed IMO. Just check with someone who have polarizing filters before making a decision.

Unfortunately I dont know anyone who would have a polarizing filter.

I did try lowering the exposure bias but then resulted in underexposed subjects. Looks like I will have to take a plunge into polarizing filters myself. Anyways, thanks for your help mate. Any further inputs are appreciated.

Back