The Photography Thread !

That last snap is just awesome benny! Keep 'em coming.

Looks like doc is also finding some free time nowadays? :p @medpal

It's been a while! We should meet up sometime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bird.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Chimney.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Frog.JPG

I just recently acquired a reverse coupler adapter 67mm to 52 mm ring.

This allows me to connect my 50mm prime lens to be reverse mounted on my 18 - 105 kit lens, which allows me to go a lot closer to the object. I tried it once last sunday and was happy with the results only thing is a tripod is a must for this.
(Benefit you get control on exposure and focus, both AE and AF work in a limited range.)

this also allows me to use the lenses in reverse order meaning 50 mm to the camera and kit reverse mounted on it, have not tried it tough.

Another option is you can get a reverse adapter to body (meaning you can attach a lense reversely to the camera body allowing you to go very closer to the subject (you lose total control over focus and exposure)

Another option is extension rings which are attached between camera body and lens changing the focus point of the lense and allowing you to get closer to subject. (here two variant are available without any electronics contacts forcing you to set manual exposure and manual focus which costlier ones like Kenko maintain those functions)

All above three options do not add any glass element between your object and lens so you dont lose on quality.

there are filters available which are essentially magnifying glass of different diopters which add additional glass element between your lens and object so ultimately you end up losing picture quality.

I am a nikon user so lens diameters may be different to your camera. Nikon 50mm 1.8 in reverse mount position as an advantage that it has aperture ring so your can quickly control the light even without the auto controls.

Hope this clarified your doubts.

Hey guys,
Anybody using a close-up lens/filter or extension tubes for close-up/semi-macro photography here ? Need advice on what to buy.

Thanks !

I just recently acquired a reverse coupler adapter 67mm to 52 mm ring.

This allows me to connect my 50mm prime lens to be reverse mounted on my 18 - 105 kit lens, which allows me to go a lot closer to the object. I tried it once last sunday and was happy with the results only thing is a tripod is a must for this.
(Benefit you get control on exposure and focus, both AE and AF work in a limited range.)

this also allows me to use the lenses in reverse order meaning 50 mm to the camera and kit reverse mounted on it, have not tried it tough.

Another option is you can get a reverse adapter to body (meaning you can attach a lense reversely to the camera body allowing you to go very closer to the subject (you lose total control over focus and exposure)

Another option is extension rings which are attached between camera body and lens changing the focus point of the lense and allowing you to get closer to subject. (here two variant are available without any electronics contacts forcing you to set manual exposure and manual focus which costlier ones like Kenko maintain those functions)

All above three options do not add any glass element between your object and lens so you dont lose on quality.

there are filters available which are essentially magnifying glass of different diopters which add additional glass element between your lens and object so ultimately you end up losing picture quality.

I am a nikon user so lens diameters may be different to your camera. Nikon 50mm 1.8 in reverse mount position as an advantage that it has aperture ring so your can quickly control the light even without the auto controls.

Hope this clarified your doubts.

Hey guys,
Anybody using a close-up lens/filter or extension tubes for close-up/semi-macro photography here ? Need advice on what to buy.

Thanks !

I am using extension tubes(non-electronic) with my Oly E-PM1+kit lens, and as mentioned by medpal, we loose complete control over exposure, so it would be good if you have a lens with a manual aperture ring (to change aperture manually using a 'sort of' lever).

If you dont have such a lens then your lens will be set to the max aperture it supports at a particular focal length which results in razor sharp DOF.... :(

My kit lens does not have such a ring, so some of the pics I take using the ETs seem to be abstract images instead of macro :p

Hope this helps.... :)

Thanks a lot @medpal and @imkaush. Also thanks a ton @_pappu_ for the PMs.
I read some articles describing the exact same scenario & options on DPR and was wondering what other guys are using. Was having the same convo with @_pappu_ via PMs.
I'm currently using a D5100 with a 18-105mm lens (just a single lens), so IMO the best option would be to use it in reverse using an attachment ring and lock the Aperture using a piece of tape/plastic (thanks @_pappu_)
Anyway, thanks a ton for the replies. Will try doing it over the weekend ! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back