The Photography Thread !

Keeping up with the festive season, here are a couple of shots.

Got lucky with this one
5148797843_11e32486d2_b.jpg

Hadn't realized about this shot till i saw it on comp..
5149402504_646b6231c0_b.jpg

Awesome flames! Ok guys, I'm looking for neat borders for my pics. Could any of you direct me to the ones you are using? Any photoshop presets / frames should be of help. I'm also interested in signature designs

Bluren - Nice shots !! The explosion in the first one has an almost cartoonish effect

Faheem - You could have cropped the first one :p Last one is nice :)

Posting the below picture to get some help to get an idea where I went wrong in settings !

picture in original size:

Picture was clicked in daytime, though under tube-light, in-built flash was used. Now the problem is, only the center part is illuminated, and the area around the borders are bit dark :S as you can see. and this is not just the one, other picture clicked at that time have same problem :ashamed:

Camera: 1000D
Lens: 18-55mm IS
Exposure Program: Normal Program (P)
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
F stop: f/4
Focal length: 18mm
ISO: 200

if any other detail required can be seen in the exif data, now help me in identifying the problem? How could have I made the picture illuminated uniformly and not just the center.

Parv said:
Posting the below picture to get some help to get an idea where I went wrong in settings !

picture in original size:

Picture was clicked in daytime, though under tube-light, in-built flash was used. Now the problem is, only the center part is illuminated, and the area around the borders are bit dark :S as you can see. and this is not just the one, other picture clicked at that time have same problem :ashamed:

Camera: 1000D
Lens: 18-55mm IS
Exposure Program: Normal Program (P)
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
F stop: f/4
Focal length: 18mm
ISO: 200

if any other detail required can be seen in the exif data, now help me in identifying the problem? How could have I made the picture illuminated uniformly and not just the center.
Typical case of Vignetting.. Try using a lower aperture value (higher f-number) to solve this.. Else vignetting can be fixed easily using photoshop or any other image editing software..

BF1983 said:
delirious? - Where the hell do you stay ? I have seen lots of shots of that farm/meadow from you. Pretty stunning shot ! :)
Seattle. :) The farm/countryside shots were taken during a trip to eastern Washington, to an area called the Palouse. Beautiful place. Want to return there during spring when the fields will be green in color (think Windows wallpaper). :)

@Parv

as vinaycm said its vignetting.

Also because the onboard flash is low powered you need wither diffuser to reflect the flash light (bounce) or you need better external flash.

there are so many DIY mods which you can apply to the flash to bounce it, Cigarette packet / Business card is the most common I have heard.

If you can lower the aperture value than you can let more light in lens, and you can keep the flash off.

Lastly about composition:
While taking portraits keep background to the minimum so that persons expressions can be reflected more better way, also the larger background takes the attention off the subject.

Thanks. You basically set up your cam preferably on a high rise building where you get a clear shot of the sky. Put your cam on manual focus and try to focus on distant objects like the city lights far away or trees in the neighborhood. Set your cam to bulb exposure (which is what I did for my pics) or maybe a shutter speed of 1 - 2 seconds. Set your aperture and ISO likewise. Remember to store the pics as RAW. It gives you maximum control for post-processing. :)

Back