The Samsung Galaxy S thread

aruka said:
yup, u r rite... cant save that particular setting:S. searched the net but cant find a clue.

btw, rather than manual setting, auto contrast works gud for me in most instances, but, thats jus my perception...
The 'Auto' thing ends up making the images a little smooth, when i compared it with other mobile phones camera pictures (Took pictures from both the cellphones and compared :) ) So i manually tweaked the settings and found the images to be better; and on par with the other mobile phone.

I dont know why it doesn't save the settings, might get fixed in the froyo update.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Hellwrath said:
Use quicksettings from market. That's what I use and it's very convenient.
Quicksettings won't let you turnoff edge/gprs. I think it should be best left as it is.

today i got amzer silicon case from fommy after 7 days of ordering

case is good has good grip on corners n ok ok grip on sides

arvnd said:
Guys, I bought this Galaxy S case (+ free screen protector) from ebay.

eBay India: Soft Jacket2 Xpose Case Samsung Galaxy S I9000 - Black (item 270635585392 end time 18-Sep-2010 01:55:22 IST)

Excellent quality case. Very snug fit for the Galaxy and easy to grip. Earlier I was worried that the phone would slip from my hand (coz the back is so smooth).

Screen protector is also of very good quality. Very easy to apply - zero bubbles even if you apply carelessly.

Shipping was also ultra fast (got it the next day).

Overall very satisfied with the purchase.
Can you tell me does it gets stuck in Pocket while pulling it out, especially a tight jeans pocket, as with most of the Rubber and silicone cases out there ?

ahd said:
Can you tell me does it gets stuck in Pocket while pulling it out, especially a tight jeans pocket, as with most of the Rubber and silicone cases out there ?
No..I don't find that a problem, but, yes, it has quite a bit more grip than the shiny smooth back of the Galaxy S, but I'm not facing any difficulty with getting it out of the pocket. I know what you mean; it's not the sticky type (the silicone case on my iPod is rather sticky, compared to this). Fit and finish is also perfect.

arvnd said:
No..I don't find that a problem, but, yes, it has quite a bit more grip than the shiny smooth back of the Galaxy S, but I'm not facing any difficulty with getting it out of the pocket. I know what you mean; it's not the sticky type (the silicone case on my iPod is rather sticky, compared to this). Fit and finish is also perfect.
I am going tommorow to their office and buy this in person. Have you found anything better than this, Should be silicon/gel/rubber based only

Update: I'll be buying through Ebay.

Hellwrath said:
HUH? I have been using it and confirm that quicksettings can indeed turn EDGE/GPRS off.
Oh maybe when the Edge/GPRS is turned on only then the options appear ? Cause here's the settings that are available in my quicksettings app,

Brightness, Ringer, Volume Control, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and Gps Receiver thats it. Well Maybe they appear when Edge GPRS are turned on.

^^ press the menu button when quick settings dialog is open and then you can select which settings appear in the dialog (There are many more than what you see by default)

i got the Galaxy S for 26.5 from a dealer in Bangalore yesterday..

I must say this phone is truly awesome....

will come up with a review soon...

anyone tried updating to froyo ?

^^ All froyo firmwares are beta quality and people have reported quite a few issues including wipeout of IMEI number etc when they downgrade from froyo to eclair. And many people are moving back to eclair after trying out froyo due to small issues.

If you're feeling adventurous, do try it out. I'm waiting for the official froyo release before updating.

Phone is absolutely awesome!! No doubt about it. Screen is to die for :D
Only problem is the lag - but you can lagfix it easily.

One suggestion - get a screen protector and case immediately (if u havent got it yet).

Screen is made of gorilla glass so it might not scratch, but the back panel is ultra-glossy and even the tiniest scratches will spoil the finish.
A case will give you tremendous peace of mind while using the phone. It did for me atleast.

^^ thanks for ur inputs buddy..

i applied a screen guard as soon as i bought the phone... screen guard cost me a whopping 350 bucks.. but it is worth it.. high quality one. :)

and yeah i need to buy a good case, phone feels very slippery..

only complaint about this phone is its build quality.... :( could have been much better

i was very confused either to go for Desire or galaxy S... but finally decided to go for this beauty...

tested a 720p mkv file and it plays flawlessly....

also the batter backup seems to much better than other HTC android phones....

also rooted my phone and applied the Voodoo lag fix... :)

will check if the froyo beta version or stable or not and only then decide on updating....

Indian froyo release is happening in October.... confirmed by Samsung in their twitter page

^^ IMO build quality is not bad really. Just that they could have avoided the glossy finish for the back panel. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the build quality. Agreed...back panel is not very thick, but fit is perfect and it doesnt creak or break easily - so for me it's not much of an issue.

Check out youtube videos of Galaxy S drop tests. It's quite hardy actually. Screen might break in case of a heavy fall, but then that's true for iphones as well (any phone with a glass screen).

Hurray!!

Just upgraded to Froyo 2.2 FW

it is a new build (I9000XXJPK) which was released just yesterday..

have been using it from the past two hours or so, i haven't had any issues with it as of now... everything is smooth.. all the features seems to be working

I have also rooted but haven't applied any lagfix....

before flashing i was on " I9000DDJG4" 2.1 eclair firmware.

if possible will post a tutorial..

people at XDA are quite happy with this build and its getting lot of positive feedbacks...

arvnd said:
Cool...how is the performance compared to stock eclair DDJG4 ?
it has definitely improved.... also froyo looks it is much more organized... :)

will try to use the phone for a day more without applying lagfix...

one important thing is after this update your phones "Product code will change, so if there is a Indian froyo release u will not be able to update officila Indian froyo update.. however there is also a workaround and ix for this... :)

will post linpack quadrant scores in a while...

Back