The Samsung Galaxy S thread

Hey, have anyone heard about Darky's v5.1 Gingerbread Edition? It is based on XXJPU the fastest froyo ROM available atm..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Froyo XXJPU i.e. 2.2.1 is here -

Features:

- 339MB free RAM because of reduced drivers footprint

- improved UI speed

- improved browser speed

- reportedly improved GPS and video player

- OTA (over-the-air) updates, however it is not known if this version will receive any.

- ability to change lock screen wallpaper

- swype version 2.9.51.13071 with the following languages:

US English

UK English

Nederlands

Francais

Deutsch

Italiano

Polski

Portugues

Espaniol

Türkce

and more (reportedly Ukrainean or Koreean)

I am currently on Froyo 2.2.1.. And I must say, it is the best ROM ever.. No lags.. So fast..

@ ultra vires - GPS is improved well.. I usually lock very quick (better than earlier custom ROMS) but it is better to ask your quesion in that thread itself so that you can easily get answer from different users using the ROM :D

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I need the default system fonts used in the firmware released on Kies earlier (Froyo 2.2 Build FROYO.JP6) Because, those fonts have devanagari included in it.. If anyone is on froyo which has been updated by Kies then please provide me the system fonts.

(System fonts are in folder /system/fonts/)

Guys??

Are any of you having this problem ?

Never had the problem when I was on 2.1 , since I installed 2.2 , after a few days this problem of getting stuck on "Obtaining IP address" has cropped up whenever I tturn on WiFi and try to connect to my router.

I have tried all of these fixes -

connecting from AllShare : worked

Static IP : worked

Changing SSID from hidden to visible : did not work

Changing Channel : did not work

Installing Wifi fixer : did not work

Restarting the phone : did not work

Factory resetting the phone : worked for a few hours

resetting router to factory settings : did not work

Changing from mixed to either b or g : did not work

This is a problem with DHCP client as the trouble appears when getting an IP automatically not setting a static IP and most probably this is an issue with the Android DHCP client. It cannot be any router settings related problem as my phone was able to connect to the same router earlier, moreover 2 laptops, one Samsung Wave and my friends Galaxy S are running off the same router at the same time, only my phone has this problem.

Moverover, this problem is also happening with HTC and Motorola Android phones as well.

Although we can use the workarounds, this still does not fix the actual issue.

We cannot try all these fixes with an infrastructure router or public routers.

We need to push Samsung to fix this problem, we should comment on their facebook page and log bug requests. The GPS issue was not a day to day issue , this is.

vortex_mak said:
Guys??

Never had the problem when I was on 2.1 , since I installed 2.2 , after a few days this problem of getting stuck on "Obtaining IP address" has cropped up whenever I tturn on WiFi and try to connect to my router.

This is a problem with DHCP client as the trouble appears when getting an IP automatically not setting a static IP and most probably this is an issue with the Android DHCP client. It cannot be any router settings related problem as my phone was able to connect to the same router earlier, moreover 2 laptops, one Samsung Wave and my friends Galaxy S are running off the same router at the same time, only my phone has this problem.

Moverover, this problem is also happening with HTC and Motorola Android phones as well.

We need to push Samsung to fix this problem, we should comment on their facebook page and log bug requests. The GPS issue was not a day to day issue , this is.
Yep.. This happens to some people.. A re-install fixes it..

vortex_mak said:
Guys??

Go to recovery mode, wide data, and cache partition, and hard reset it.. It might work (Install CWM first thro' ROM Manager for safety side)

It never happened to me...

Whats CWM ?

I tried a factory reset first, worked in the morning but the same problem came back in the evening.

Yesterday I performed a cache clear and data wipe from recovery mode. Problem has been solved, will see how long it lasts.

^ CWM - Clockworkmod Recovery.. It is an alternative recovery which is much safer than stock recovery

Normally, You should wipe partition and data before updating firmware.. It stores some garbage values of old firmware..

Rahulrulez said:
^ CWM - Clockworkmod Recovery.. It is an alternative recovery which is much safer than stock recovery
I wouldn't say "safer" probably more feature rich, and it allows application of unsigned zips..

Is there any user with Froyo 2.2 updated through Kies (INDIA)? I need all the fonts present in /system/fonts... I need them badly.. I need the fonts from Indian/Asian version only.. I need Devanagari Unicode fonts inside it.

Got a galaxy s

updated from 2. 1 to docs Rom v4. final wipe

my battery life is disgusting

15pc overnight whereas my hd2 running from SD card loses only 6pc overnite

Which kernel. should. I use?

this thread seems bit dead

ayaskant12 said:
Got a galaxy s

updated from 2. 1 to docs Rom v4. final wipe

my battery life is disgusting

15pc overnight whereas my hd2 running from SD card loses only 6pc overnite

Which kernel. should. I use?

this thread seems bit dead
I've heard that there is a sensor bug in this ROM. So, basically the Gallery always on even in standby, the fix seems to be to force uninstall the system application (you have to be rooted, and can then use titanium backup to uninstall the app). Then, downloading it from market once again. (Or download another one like "Large Image Viewer" which gives a much better quality pictures . (The 3D gallery has an awesome interface, but the pictures are very low res..not the 5MP which is taken, plus I think the color reproduction is not good.not sure about the 2nd part though).

Iphone5 may be galaxy S killer. But seriously i am happy for the first time after a mobile phone purchase. This is my 7th mobile and all my previous decisions were disasters:clap::clap:

Back