The Samsung Galaxy Spica i.e. I5700 thread

The problem with app2sd is that you shouldn't remove sd card or even unmount it while phone is running.

I did it twice just for the sake of trying it and copy pasted apps, but none of them work, every app crashes, even home screen crashes, Had a chat about the same with LeshaK from Samdroid forums

here's what he said
Simple wipe data and install all again

and don't remove sd if you use apps2sd

Hi,

I got spica preinstalled with 2.1 :clap::clap:

Baseband: i570EDDJC5
Kernal: 2.6.29 (shun.cho@SE-S605 #2
Build: ECLAIR.DDJC5

Thanks Everyone.

^ Today I searched around quite a bit for SPICA.

Univercell guys said that there was nothing called Spica in the market and some other shop guys hadn't even heard about the phone.

Channel 9 guys in Jayanagar said that it was out of stock and will probably arrive in another 15 days or so. :(

^^ lol, those universal buggers are utter waste, I also had asked them about spica once, and the chap had no clue about the phone.

Anyway the phone is available on Tradus for around 12k for another 2 days, but I think it should be cheap locally and I'll not have to wait.

So more feedback/info required from Bangalore guys. :)

What was the price? Did you check?

eggman said:
I had seen a model in Samsung Showroom in FOrum mall!!

Even i searched for this phone in Bangalore. Its no where to be found. Some shops do have I7500, but no one has the Spica. So finally ended up buying in tradus. I don't think anyone would sell it for less than 12k. There is a lot of demand for this phone.

Univercell buggers kept insisting that i buy the samsung xperia x10. He was telling me spica comes with android 1.5 and it was not possible to flash 2.1 :S:S

swordfish123 said:
Univercell buggers kept insisting that i buy the samsung xperia x10. He was telling me spica comes with android 1.5 and it was not possible to flash 2.1 :S:S

:S

If those buggers told you that, and I think you should just stay away from them.

ViKiD said:
^ That is obvious...

You dont remove the Hard Drive when your computers running .... do you?

Nice analogy :)

I can hotswap my secondary sata hard drive and not lose any data/apps,

same case here, but opposite result

Is that obvious :p

Anyone can you guide me how to enable GPRS

I have MTNL Trump.

Also I have Manually Setup The APN settings. Some 2-3 days back

Yesterday a miracle happened & there was "E" Icon in the notification area.

and internet was working Till I went to Palghar Which Is Roaming Area Cellone network.

Now I m again back in Mumbai (Dolphin Network)

but i m yet to c the "E" Icon Again.

I M Using Rs 98 Unlimited GPRS.

ViKiD said:
^ What if some game is installed on the secondary?

Swapping it won't affect I guess, given I wont be playing while swapping.

The point I tried to make is, I've unmounted sd card, switched off the phone and still my apps are corrupt.

Your analogous ain't apt IMO

Parv said:
Can latest Android 2.2 Froyo be loaded on this?

Given their current Firmware record of samsung, I doubt if they would consider Spica for 2.2. Me too waiting for 2.2 on spica.......fingers crossed

I9000 and other new members of Galaxy family might get them though.

I have been searching for the spica here in mumbai. Visited 3-4 shops including Alfa but was told the phone was out-of-stock. Any place in Mumbai where I could find the phone at an appropriate price?

@shriharsha...

See every time you turn on the phone...the phone builds up a cache called "Dalvik-Cache" , this is based on your settings, preferences and blah blah... which also pertains to their location... and again if while using app2sd if you hotswap/unmount the card and then reboot ... the locations get all messed up if the phone doesn't find where the apps are!

If you unmount your card it wont transfer your apps back to the phone memory...so obviously problems will occurs...and you wont be able to use your apps...

My analogy was just to get a very simple point across. The apps are on the Sd card/Harddrive ... you shutdown the phone , remove the card and then turn it on...registry values are there... but the files aint...

Hope you understand now...

^^ Thanks for the info :)

Don't take this as an argument,

but what's bugging me is that "dalviK cache" on my phone still resides on Phone memory, I haven't moved it. Prior to removing card, I backed up everything via Samdroid tools, disabled app2sd, unmounted card and switched off phone.

Then again I re-inserted card, only to see that apps are crashing.

If I do the same in my 5800, I won't be able to access apps installed on sd card until I replace SD card and when I do that, all my apps are back and running as it is.

I got my Spica delivered to my house for Rs 11,975. I thought we would get 1 gb free memory card. But mine came with Eclair and 2 gb card:clap:. This phone is awesome.

The default keypad is crap. Can anyone recommend me a good keypad.
Also my battery is draining out pretty quickly. I have switched off GPS. Any other tips to increase battery life.

Can anyone let me know what mods to install in what order. Samdroid forum has a lot of things. I do not know what to install.

Download a good task manager via the market (I recommend Taskiller) and periodically check for apps that are running. Also, the moment you switch on Wi-Fi, the battery takes a big hit. For 2 days, I controlled myself and did not switch on Wi-Fi and the phone's battery level was around 70% at the end of day 2. Even apps (I read ebooks a lot on my Spica) take up a lot of battery.

Back