The Samsung Galaxy Spica i.e. I5700 thread

ayaskant12 said:
@cyneuron yes pdanet is good but only till trial ends

Get easytether its beter and free and only advanced features are unavailable
My pdanet expired and I had to resort to easytether!!!
Free is always better for me

no doubt, nothing beats free....will sitch to easyteether myself...till then using pdanet...but surely a good job by pdanet....

Got the phone a week back .I am loving it :D.No complaints till date.Have few queires

Is there any GPS application (uses only GPS and not any GPRS)??

Thanx to Raghu and Sandy for helping me pick up such a great phone.I searched the all mobile stores in Bangalore and only Channel 9 ,Jaynagar had it.I loved the customer service of Channel 9.They opened a box piece for me to test .None of the so called super stores allow you to do it ,most of them even didnt know what is a capacitive and resistive touch screen :mad:

Edit:I am looking for a gps app which is similar to the garmin.

I have been using iPhones for the last 2 years and used a Spica for 4 days recently. First for 12.5 I don't think you can get a better phone and so for folks here who love to tinker I recommend this wholeheartedly.

Its an amazing deal given the specs, capacitive 3.2, wifi, gps, bluetooth, haptic feedback and to beat it all a fast 800mhz processor. There is even a free 2gb sd card bundled. It has 128mb ram but I was on 2.1 eclair and didn't feel any particular slowdown compared to 1.5 out of the box. It was speedy.

The only chink in the armour is the speakerphone and in ear call volume, I found both just below my liking,its not bad or weak but compared to iPhone music quality on speaker phone is not as good and call volume is probably the same as iPhone 3G, louder would have been better. The looks don't compliment such a fantastic Android device but given the price I think these 2 negatives don't detract from the strong value prop. I suspect most phones in the price range will have similar weaknesses.

The touch screen is not as responsive or fluid as the iPhone but I have used Nexus one so this is an android os issue, however it is sufficiently smooth with no lagging and sometimes does get fluid. The OS itself is a tinkerer's paradise and I actually liked it. The stock keyboard is decent with haptic feedback and once you install the HTC ime keyboard it is fantastic, not as good as the iPhone but not bad at all.

Helix launcher is also available and that does make the phone that much snappier so recommended. The stock exchange app doesn't work with most exchange accounts and you can get some apps like Moxier Mail but they can slow down the phone, the HTC Magic mail app on the other hand called Work Mail is free and available and that works with exchange. I also liked the BBC and newspaper app. On the whole I like the phone and the market has some excellent apps.

Metalspree said:
How do i install a downloaded *.apk file??

Is it possible to install swype ??

To install .apk files directly you need to root the device AFAIK.

Yes it is possible to install swype beta, just get hold of the apk file of swype beta, root the device and install.

No, you don't need to root the device to install apk's. In settings just enable install apps from other sources and then you can install apks from the browser directly or install app installer from the market and use it to install apks from the sd card. I used this to install HTC IME keyboard, HTC Work email app and a few others.

hey guys am also thinking of getting this phone but am thinking till the phone gets 2.1 preinstalled so that i am not caught up in this NPS mess.
will it be out soon with 2.1 preinstalled? will the price go up once it does come.
it seems most shops are running out of spica. so am guessing the new lot should arrive soon.
what do u guys think?

None of the dealers seem to have the phone!

I can't help but wonder if Samsung wants to upgrade the phone to v2.1 then release the next batch of i5700's!

i also think that in a 2 weeks a new batch of 2.1 spicas will be available hopefully am waiting for them.
hope they dont increase the price

tgpraveen said:
i also think that in a 2 weeks a new batch of 2.1 spicas will be available hopefully am waiting for them.
hope they dont increase the price

i don't think its gonna happen anytime soon....they have released 2.1 only in Germany and that too seems to be buggy from initial reports....

also buy it asap....had heard about vat increase....or may be it has already happened as i remember 1 April was the date for this increase.....

AbhijithS said:
Has anybody dealt with this guy before? eBay i5700

With the coupon I can get it for 11.5k, do you guys think I should wait or just get this one?

Update: Looking at the Purchase History makes me a little suspicious, look at the time & dates of purchases.

Dude just get it.He is a power seller man:D.11.5K is an amazing price :)

Couldn't wait for the official one, so went ahead and flashed mine with Official European Firmware I570EXXJCE and here's my short little review :)

My initial thoughts on 2.1 after using it for a few hours

Since I haven't rooted my phone yet, I'm using screen shots from Sameer Prabhakar's blog. Hope he doesn't mind

At first I noticed boot up is faster and a boot screen with Phone model name is added, in this case " Samsung Galaxy Spica I5700" is shown. Once booted you are welcomed with the new Pantheon Home screen.

Home.png

Only three wallpapers are pre-installed this time and no live wallpaper!!! I have read some where that I should root and install live wallpaper.apk

Checked the widgets, both Samsung and abdroid widgets, regular widgets are given like clock,etc etc, But what's interesting is the new "Power Control Widget". It has toggles for wifi, bluetooth, gps, autosync and a three step brightness toggle button which saved me almost 3 widgets, though it uses up most of the screen, its quite handy since it is preinstalled, Switchers is also present so its up to you, which one you want to use.

Clock widgets are cool too.

LeftPane.png

Now fiddled around settings, found a lot of added functionalities for existing options. It even shows battery usage of apps, listed app wise. Synced with my account, got all my contacts back.

At this point I opened market and thankfully it listed all my previously downloaded apps so installing them was easy.

Market.png

I found the application menu & scroll lists to be a bit laggy, but overall speed has improved, applications are loading faster and even free ram has increased by almost 15-20 MB and now it shows almost 75-80MB free

A file manager is bundled this time. Also noticed Layers app, which I presume is the augmented reality app.

But the major changes were in Camera, Maps and Music apps.

Maps had an update ready(4.1 I guess), so installed it immediately and started fiddling around, boy the new functionalities are quite good , use of layers has given more options to play with maps and it even has a lab addons, similar to gmail labs and a few useful experimental addons. Ahh Finally after this update I was able to use my personalized Private maps from my google maps account. Still there are a lot of options which I'll explore later.

Now coming to the camera app, Image size, brightness level, ISO levels Scene modes can be customized. Zoom button & self timer are added too.

Camera.png

Music app seems to have copied straight from Apple , Interface is quite similar to iPhone. Looks like even the horizontal album art scrolling is copied from, turning the device changes the interface to iPhone type album art scrolling, the only difference being the album arts move in circular fashion as opposed to horizontal scrolling in Apple.

Even the now playing menu mimics Apple, same exact functionalities, but is very sluggish. Equalizer is added with both fixed and customizable eq's .

Music_Player.png

Voice recorder is bundled, which I think was not in 1.5. Search widget is now extended to search user files and contacts.

The most important thing is Battery back up time has improved vastly, almost doubled or tripled(even more ) for me when compared to 1.5.

Overall I feel that I have a whole new different phone in my hand. It's cool, Its fast, uses less battery, added lots of functionalities, animations. Now I feel I made a right decision by skipping I7500, those who bought it now will definitely feel bad about it

Anyways this is it about my initial thoughts on 2.1, Now I have to try the new 2.1 apps which were not available for 1.5 and have to fiddle more and have fun

UPDATE: It's been 9hrs since I switched to 2.1 and been using it almost continuously,still battery back up is 70% ............sweeeeeet
icon_mrgreen.gif

Back