The Samsung Galaxy Spica i.e. I5700 thread

Deathbearer said:
i had tried samdroid mod earlier but whenever i choose to enable apps2sd it always hung up,
had to force close it. also after closing it down again when i checked apps2sd was enabled, but then all my apps were still on internal memory.
Flash the Samdroid Mod again. It should work.

You have to restart the phone twice before using apps2sd ...Well first reboot to i think enable it...second reboot to transfer you pre-installed stuff to the SD card...and dont ever take ur card out...herd it causes applications which u hv installed on it to crash.

Deathbearer said:
i had tried samdroid mod earlier but whenever i choose to enable apps2sd it always hung up,

had to force close it. also after closing it down again when i checked apps2sd was enabled, but then all my apps were still on internal memory.

So i re flashed the phone to latest stock + LK2.02 (as it has apps2sd enabled by deafult)

but this too is not working, as im installing any apps. the internal memory is being used up.

Well i have flashed back to I570EXXJD1 lets see if the problem goes away.

One more thing I noticed with I570EDDJC5 was that the EDGE connection on TATA DOCOMO was very unstable, it would rarely remain connected. But now with JD1 it connected and stable.

has anyone here tried Swype (keyboard) for Spica, believe me it is a awesome app, you people will never use the default keyboard once u get used ti SWYPE.

my Bro has a Samsung Spica and he has been using swype for quite sometime now.

**Tips to Recover Space on you Phone** Observe Caution while executing any of the mentioned steps in the link. Assuming you guys r aware of basic Linux command, ADB tool & Sam Android Kitchen sink mod is already applied. =>Execute these steps at your own risk<==

Link -> Safe Apps to Remove - Samsung Moment Wiki

Link -> Barebones - CyanogenMod Wiki

Salvage Tips:

1. Make sure you always copy the app that you remove to sd card preferably to '/system/sd' partition if you have applied Samandroid kitchen sink Mod. This partion is ext2 unlike the /sdcard partition which is FAT. DO this for anything that you remove or move from phone memory

2. If the app that you removed happen to cause some application to crash then you can restore it but with **SAME PERMISSION**. Usually permission command that you need to execute is 'chmod 644 /system/app/<app name>.apk` after copying to app directory from SDcard

3. Whenever u r executing 'rm' command on adb shell make sure u use it with '-i' option. For Ex:- rm -ir <file name>. This will prompt you before you delete anything & confirmation for those involuntary finger frequently messing things up

4. I was also able to copy the mail database over to sdcard but i wud not recommend it to anyone unless they r in dire need of phone memory

5. DO NOT REMOVE ANY APP THAT IS LINKED TO ANY SORT OF GOOGLE SERVICE UNLESS U R 100% SURE

6. ALWAYS ALWAYS backup you phone using Sam Andorid Back up utility from Recovery mode before you follow any instruction online. I would strongly recommend frequent Backup so that you can restore to any Data point

7. I also noticed that it is quite SAFE to FORMAT dalvik-cache from recovery mode. DO it only if in general most app performance is lagging

Hope this helps for those looking to free-up some phone memory. Snap shot of partition info

# df -k

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

tmpfs 82636 12 82624 0% /dev

tmpfs 4096 0 4096 0% /sqlite_stmt_journals

/dev/stl6 200996 133116 67880 66% /system

/dev/stl5 150644 58000 92644 39% /data

/dev/stl7 80576 196 80380 0% /cache

/dev/stl10 7729 778 6951 10% /efs

/dev/bml8 4096 4096 0 100% /xbin

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 351786 25687 307331 8% /system/sd <- This is the ext2 partion that is created by Sam Android Mod if u do the partitioning

/dev/block//vold/179:1

7396652 1133152 6263500 15% /sdcard <- FAT partition

How do we send attachments in gmail. The gmail app is only giving a list of photos to be included as attachment. Gmail in browser shows the attachment button as disabled. I am on I570EDDJC5. Is this solved in samdroid mod?

you will have to use a file browser like ASTRO , navigate to the file you want to send , long press on it and choose share as , and then select gmail.

people any suggestions for ebook reader for Spica ? i need to buy one

i think it is 1.16.. not sure though..
will ask him and update u.... but i remember him telling me that it a AHEM version :D but works flawlessly

Today I tried those experimental samdroid components and here are the benchmark results.

Benchmark apps I used are

Linkpack for Android

Quadrant Standard Edition

Benchmark

I'm just posting the results of Linpack and Quadrant here

On STANDARD DVM (Stock)

stock1i.jpg
stock2o.jpg

On DVM ARM11 OPTIMIZED

dvm1.jpg
dvm2.jpg

On JIT ARM11 OPTIMIZED

jit2.jpg
jit1.jpg

Meanwhile one of the results was surprising coz RAM in spica seems to be 160MB

cap201006021210.jpg

Guys it would be helpful if you post your benchmark results on firmwares you are currently using. So that it would give us a better idea, which firmware is stable and fast, and which mods are better in terms of Speed etc.

Plz post your scores using the apps I mentioned above

sriharsha_m said:
Today I tried those experimental samdroid components and here are the benchmark results.

Benchmark apps I used are

Linkpack for Android

How Did You Take The Screenshot??? Of Ur Screen

Quadrant Standard Edition

Benchmark

I'm just posting the results of Linpack and Quadrant here

On STANDARD DVM (Stock)

stock1i.jpg
stock2o.jpg

On DVM ARM11 OPTIMIZED

dvm1.jpg
dvm2.jpg

On JIT ARM11 OPTIMIZED

jit2.jpg
jit1.jpg

Meanwhile one of the results was surprising coz RAM in spica seems to be 160MB

cap201006021210.jpg

Guys it would be helpful if you post your benchmark results on firmwares you are currently using. So that it would give us a better idea, which firmware is stable and fast, and which mods are better in terms of Speed etc.

Plz post your scores using the apps I mentioned above
My Linpack Score Is 7.811

I m using the following update with I570EDDJC5 + LK2.03.3

Wohoo ! more speed for your Spica !!

Before Using Optimized Dalvik VM + JIT + new OpenGL drivers My Score Was Around 3.101

Hi Guys...

This is some really good stuff, I'll be trying all of it once I get the elusive Spica. The availability is really irritating now...I have been looking for one in Bangalore for some time. I cant raid shops since I am pressed for time due to work..Anybody has any idea when the phone will be back in stock?

I tried tradeus too, but didnt find it there either...please help me get one :( (five actually since my friends want it too :p)

One OT question; I plan to buy a bluetooth handsfree too with the phone...which one works best with spica? budget for the handsfree is about 1k

Thanks,

galois

I am facing with a weird problem in my phone.When i create a new contact i cannot see the same in my contact list but when i search the same contact in messaging it comes up :S.Am i missing something here.

I do not sync contacts to gmail as it $crewed my entire mailing list once

guys anybody bought d white coloured spica in india..??nd y's it nowhere to be seen in d market...should i get it..??or is samsung doing some weird stuff??

Back