The vaccine chaos

It's not only about venturing out mate ( which is obviously risky), if you can get a RT PCR done before vaccination and test negative, go for it.
If it's not possible, wait out for 2 weeks at least, if you're pretty certain that nobody you came across physically in last 14-15 days turned positive/ sick, get the jab.
What do you call it in English when someone is not anti vaccine but not sure/ confident about newer vaccines?
In Czech it's called váhání vakcíny, but can't seem to remember the English word!!
My English is getting worse everyday, now I speak like a Russian/ eastern European

Last edited:
hesitant / uncertain / ambivalent maybe?
Thanks, I'll discuss this with our family doctors as well and proceed further.

Dr. categorically asked whether am taking any antibiotic in that case I cannot be vaccinated - was not taking any.
Not sure of this, but CDC says antibiotics should not be a concern for the vaccine.
1619357310005.png

@red dragon Paperwork says delaying beyond 49 (7 weeks) is not recommended, but the situation outside is quite bad.

I thought taking the second shot after 6/8/12 weeks increases it's efficiency? Someone even posted a link in one of these threads yesterday.

Would be interested in your doctor's take on that. If needed, I'll find that link for you.

According to AstraZeneca efficacy of the vaccine is 53.2% if the second dose is taken after four weeks. This increases to 60.5% if the interval is 9 to 11 weeks. If the space between doses is 12 weeks or more, efficiency increases to 78.7%
Please let me know if the above sentences don't make any sense grammatically. Half of my posts since Friday don't make any sense or are very vague. I'm not doing it intentionally.

There's been some new data released in a preprint study at Oxford University on April 23 based on 375,000 patients. This has also been covered in press in past 2-3 days. Here's the relevant tweet with links to the two papers.
Pasting abbreviated results for quick access:
------------------------------------------------
Setting The UK population-representative longitudinal COVID-19 Infection Survey.
Participants 373,402 participants aged ≥16 years contributing 1,610,562 RT-PCR results from nose and throat swabs between 1 December 2020 and 3 April 2021.
Results Odds of new SARS-CoV-2 infection were reduced 65% (95% CI 60 to 70%; P<0.001) in those ≥21 days since first vaccination with no second dose versus unvaccinated individuals without evidence of prior infection (RT-PCR or antibody). In those vaccinated, the largest reduction in odds was seen post second dose (70%, 95% CI 62 to 77%; P<0.001).There was no evidence that these benefits varied between Oxford-AstraZeneca and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines (P>0.9).
Conclusion Vaccination with a single dose of Oxford-AstraZeneca or Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines, or two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, significantly reduced new SARS-CoV-2 infections in this large community surveillance study.

@red dragon

I have query about immunity of those recovered from covid.
Do they still need to get vaccinated?

Second question: Do you expect these vaccines to remain effective against the Indian covid mutants or other mutants?

1. Possibly one dose of vaccine
2. I'm not sure. Unlikely to remain effective, mutations are not random anymore, they are converging.

@red dragonThanks for your helpful advice on this site. I've read that vaccinating during peak is not advised because of (1)at this stage vaccine will possibly help virus to enter cells (2)crowds at vaccinating centres are added risk. What is the advice for second dose appointment holders? Should we try for Rt-PCR test before second jab? Or skip second jab. Thanks in advance.

@red dragon : I tested positive for Covid on 8th April,2021. Have since recovered from a mild infection. When can I get vaccinated? Also, is there even a remote chance for a reinfection in the next month or two as my work involves me surrounded with lots of people.

Another Question for my Father. He got vaccinated with Covishield on 19th March,2021 and tested positive for Covid on 2nd April. He was admitted to hospital on the 5th day of symptom onset with a HRCT score of 8. He was treated with fabiflu, remedisevir and steroids and was discharged in 3 days. He did not require oxygen. He too has since recovered. His 2nd Dose of Covishield is now due. When should he get vaccinated?

Thanks for all your help. I am an old member of this forum but lately have just been a silent observer. I find your posts to be quite informative and salute your dedication and contribution to our society.

Yes, getting reinfected specially within 2 months of recovery is a possibility ( the reason behind that is little complicated, unless someone wants to know specifically, it's beyond discussion of our tech forum)
For both you and your dad, I would suggest you to please wait for 2-3 weeks. Things will definitely improve.
Regarding my participation, I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I have become a keyboard warrior of the worst kind.
We tried to organise a group of 10 doctors with first hand experience in epidemic management. But we are still waiting for clearance ( never understood why can I join a private hospital just to see patients remotely, but can't hop in a cargo jet to work for free in government hospitals..we are ready to go to any place in India)
Thought getting volunteers would be difficult (turned out, it was the easiest thing).

Astrazeneca's website says best efficacy of 82% is achieved if difference between doses is 12 weeks according to latest data. Anywhere between 8-12 weeks is being followed elsewhere. My brother is getting his second dose after 6 weeks and even though I advised him to wait, but he can't because his whole office (small company) is getting vaccinated together,even though they are ineligible.

Astrazeneca's website says best efficacy of 82% is achieved if difference between doses is 12 weeks according to latest data. Anywhere between 8-12 weeks is being followed elsewhere. My brother is getting his second dose after 6 weeks and even though I advised him to wait, but he can't because his whole office (small company) is getting vaccinated together,even though they are ineligible.
Could that be because of vaccine shortages? They went to 6 weeks from 4 weeks and now are suggesting 12 weeks.

Yes, getting reinfected specially within 2 months of recovery is a possibility ( the reason behind that is little complicated, unless someone wants to know specifically, it's beyond discussion of our tech forum)
But how likely is it? Like 1 in a million or 1 in a 100 ? I read your post somewhere which said that its highly unlikely. Although I am taking precautions wherever possible but still have some fear. Our family has been lucky to escape with a mild infection (All members of my family including my 3 year old son and terminally sick mother tested positive). I have read that even if we were to get re-infected, the reinfection would be milder than before. I assume with our bodies now having developed natural immunity and the immunity which would develop after getting vaccinated should keep us relatively safe for another 6 months or so?

This is actually a newer concept, if someone was infected with no symptoms, it was possibly taken care of by NK cell. These patients remained carrier for a shorter period. However few people developed an antibody to the spike protein AFTER GETTING RID OF THE VIRUS. These antibodies last for 6-8 weeks, have very high affinity to the spike protein. However they can't induce much of protease release.
Now if a reinfection occurs with a mutant or same variant, those high affinity antibodies compete with NK cells and win due to high affinity leading to innate immunity bypass and symptoms ( usual pathology of covid 19 disease)
The existence of this short lasting, high affinity antibodies has been reported recently which explains recurrent infection ( first one asymptomatic, second one symptomatic) specially in young Indian population during so called second wave ( lot of symptomatic young Indians have been infected with older strains of the virus)
I'm not 100 percent sure of this newer concept of reinfection, but it seems logical.
Thankfully only a few individuals are developing these antibodies.
DISCLAIMER: This is the first time I'm writing about a hypothesis that I've never read in a textbook. Only 2 papers have explained this phenomenon, none published yet, one has been approved by peer reviewer community.
I am actually stealing someone's work here.

Last edited:
This is actually a newer concept, if someone was infected with no symptoms, it was possibly taken care of by NK cell. These patients remained carrier for a shorter period. However few people developed an antibody to the spike protein AFTER GETTING RID OF THE VIRUS. These antibodies last for 6-8 weeks, have very high affinity to the spike protein. However they can't induce much of protease release.
Now if a reinfection occurs with a mutant or same variant, those high affinity antibodies compete with NK cells and win due to high affinity leading to innate immunity bypass and symptoms ( usual pathology of covid 19 disease)
The existence of this short lasting, high affinity antibodies has been reported recently which explains recurrent infection ( first one asymptomatic, second one symptomatic) specially in young Indian population during so called second wave ( lot of symptomatic young Indians have been infected with older strains of the virus)
I'm not 100 percent sure of this newer concept of reinfection, but it seems logical.
Thankfully only a few individuals are developing these antibodies.
DISCLAIMER: This is the first time I'm writing about a hypothesis that I've never read in a textbook. Only 2 papers have explained this phenomenon yet, none published yet, one has been approved by peer reviewer community.
I am actually stealing someone's work here.
None in my family were asymptomatic. Everyone developed a fever, cold, fatigue etc. Should I assume that we all would have a decent amount of immunity atleast for a few months?

Thanks a lot for taking the time out to explain things in detail (although a majority of it went above my head).

Back