The wet shaving thread

Though I have a cut-throat and used it a few times, in my above post I was referring to shavette (I didn't have the proper word earlier while posting).
But I shifted to Gillette Guard due to ease of use.

Can't use any multi-blade apparatus because it chafes the skin.

Glad that you clarified because I understood your usage of that term in its original meaning and was in awe that you'd mastered it :D. I have a shavette/straight-edge razor too and took a while to get the hang of it; it still isn't something I use regularly, more of a leisurely indulgence.

The Gillette Guard looks interesting. I think I'll try this one in my endeavour to cut shaving time further, so that I can shave daily. Wasn't keen on a multi-blade either, though I have a Gillete Fusion lying around.

But I shifted to Gillette Guard due to ease of use.

This is a new one for me

Can't use any multi-blade apparatus because it chafes the skin.
Why can't you use a simple double edge again?

You aren't head-shaving right, just face.

because Gillette guard offers me the same that double edge could. :)
But you only have one blade instead of two.

The only purpose I see of this gillette guard is its for people who shave every several days as it has a comb to help with beard growth. It will be simpler to use so if that's what you want then fine.

A daily or once every two days shaver would get a better deal from a double edge razor

Yes, just the conditioner on wet skin. It's cheap and easy to apply, so I take a generous amount and swipe it all over my head right after bathing, which is when I shave. I started balding prematurely in the crown area, so decided to shave the entire head.

For the 2nd pass, I sometimes use my shaving gel/brush, though that's not necessary. The conditioner just speeds up the shaving process and leaves the skin nice and moist.

I tried the alum stone test to see how good a shave I got with the conditioner, and there wasn't any difference in the burn that I usually get/don't get after shaving with a gel. Next up, going to try a disposable razor and straight-edge razor to see how much I can push it in terms of speed and closeness of shave, respectively.

If you want to shave your face, just relax the pores with hot water/towel application for a few minutes, before slathering the conditioner. The razor will just glide and you'll get a great shave in lesser time, sans any nicks/cuts.
Just tried shaving with hair conditioner. Yes, it works quite well. One con - with shaving cream/foam it's easy to make out where you have shaved, not so with conditioner :)

I used Dove Hair Fall Rescue Conditioner, 80ml for Rs 90.

Ya, and I also bought Gillette Guard, Rs 99 for one handle/razor and twelve cartridges. Haven't used it yet.
---------------------------
EDIT:

Maybe off-topic.

Any of you haven't watched Miller's Crossing ? Please do.

johnny caspar on shaving

What I learned from Johnny Caspar...

Here's the way Joel and Ethan Coen describe it in their script (though it's not exactly this way in the movie):

... the car pulls into frame to stop at the curb [in front of the Barton Arms apartments] with the camera framed on the driver's window. The driver has a small bandage on his left cheek. We hear Caspar's voice as we hear him getting out the back:
CASPAR Ya put the razor in cold water, not hot--'cause metal does what in cold?

DRIVER I dunno, Johnny.

We hear the back door slam and Caspar appears in the front passenger window.
CASPAR . . . 'Ats what I'm tellin' ya. It contracts. 'At way you get a first class shave.

DRIVER Okay, Johnny.

As Caspar walks off, the driver slouches back, pulls his fedora over his eyes and folds his arms across his chest.

I could be wrong but what I think he means is hot water will dull the edge (because of expansion) of the blade/razor.

Last edited:
The only purpose I see of this gillette guard is its for people who shave every several days ...

It works beautifully as advertised - for preventing nicks and cuts. Good for old folks when they start to have shaky hands. Good for daily use too, as you can use it when in a hurry... or on a moving train.

Just tried shaving with hair conditioner. Yes, it works quite well. One con - with shaving cream/foam it's easy to make out where you have shaved, not so with conditioner :)
LOL... I was waiting for someone to share this disadvantage. Shaving daily should take less time but this one drawback makes shaving with conditioner a little longer and needing more oversight.

1. But you only have one blade instead of two.

2. The only purpose I see of this gillette guard is its for people who shave every several days as it has a comb to help with beard growth. It will be simpler to use so if that's what you want then fine.

3. A daily or once every two days shaver would get a better deal from a double edge razor
1. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your comment. I like to shave with razor's that offer only one cutting edge. Multi cutting edges irritates my skin.
Shavettes and Double edge razors offer single cutting edge. Gillette Guards also offers the same.

2. Yes. Sometimes I shave once a week. Sometimes every alternate day (depending on client meetings and whether you are in the vicinity of country head / MD. So whether I have a long growth or short, the Guard with combs works fine. So would a Shavette (I used it for 15-20 years). Definitely Double edge razor would also work.

3. So why did I choose Guard? Because I found it convenient to use, maintain, buy from anywhere, anytime. I can adjust the aggression of the edge while shaving just the way one does for single edge or double edge razor. Also, the cost is peanuts and in my observation the blade retains sharpness longer compared to Gillette 7o clock platinum blades. Single and double edge razors require you to be ultra careful while general handling and especially during the mounting of the blade otherwise you may bump the edge and ruin it. Also there are chances of mis-alignment (razor edge vs blade edge) in case of SE (shavettes) and DE. Haven't faced any such issues with mass market implements like presto, guard, sensor excel etc.

To the conditioner shaving con of not knowing which areas you've shaved/not shaved, I haven't faced it in the dozen or so times I've done it. And I shave the head, btw, with the first pass just involving tracking using my other hand's fingers. The handheld mirror only comes in for the second pass. I've never missed a spot, probably because even when shaving with the gel, I used to just massage it on instead of slathering it on the scalp using a shaving brush. So, I go by the feel.

Secondly, I tried the Gillette Guard as I too didn't want to shave using safety razors that have multiple cutting edges. Does the job well and is spectacularly fast. Long strokes are a breeze with no skin irritation to boot. Just rewoke to the magic of how convenient safety razors are. I think I'll keep alternating between the Guard and my Pearl CC DE razor.

Got this bad boy - IT IS HEAVY !

2rAsOIG.jpg

Quick review after 1 shave (hair growth over 3-5 days) - it is not as aggressive as reviews make it out. I started at 2, and had to move to 4 to get a very clean shave. Definitely needs pre shave lubrication as it doesn’t glide as smoothly as my previous razor (Parker DE).
Also the handle is short for my taste, would have definitely preferred a longer handle - but costs would have increased substantially due to all brass construction.
On to the shave - smooth as baby’s bottom. Did 2 passes with level 4, no cuts or nicks. The area above the lips is specially prone to cuts for me (with Parker, going against the grain) - but not here. The heft does most of the work - no need to press it hard on the skin.
Overall, very compelling razor. Definitely recommended for adjustable shaving options.

Last edited:
Got the Parker 87R. Hefty weight, and a well mannered TTO razor. Loading gates open well, and the metal is high quality. Specially love the knurling. Razor response: MILD.

DSC07249.JPG

DSC07250.JPGDSC07252.JPG

Got this bad boy - IT IS HEAVY !

2rAsOIG.jpg

Quick review after 1 shave (hair growth over 3-5 days) - it is not as aggressive as reviews make it out. I started at 2, and had to move to 4 to get a very clean shave. Definitely needs pre shave lubrication as it doesn’t glide as smoothly as my previous razor (Parker DE).
Also the handle is short for my taste, would have definitely preferred a longer handle - but costs would have increased substantially due to all brass construction.
On to the shave - smooth as baby’s bottom. Did 2 passes with level 4, no cuts or nicks. The area above the lips is specially prone to cuts for me (with Parker, going against the grain) - but not here. The heft does most of the work - no need to press it hard on the skin.
Overall, very compelling razor. Definitely recommended for adjustable shaving options.

So a month with this - and boy was I wrong. It is aggressive, in a good way. I get decent facial hair growth, and need almost daily shaves, but even if the hair is 3-4 days old, I can simply shave at level 3. Level 4 is too aggressive, and while it doesn’t technically cause cuts, I’ve sensitive skin and it can cause peeling of skin.
3 seems to be a sweet spot, and day old beard is typically OK with 2. And with good blades, there’s no need to even to shave against the grain (vs my old Parker).
This is a highly highly recommended razor, and now they have open comb too. Plus a fricking black variant !

My current shaving routine, works very well, for me at least.

I was using hair conditioner, see link. I noticed a tube of Gillette Lime Shaving Cream that I had bought before the conditioner.

I wet my face. Take a towel and dab it on my face, but not totally dry. Take a little shaving cream on my palm and apply it. No brushing. Wait a few a seconds and then shave.

I get a very good shave, don't have to wash the brush (I'm using the same one since 1988, LOL). And, most important - this doesn't have the disadvantage of conditioner that I mentioned in the prev link.

Last week, I visited a barber after eons and saw him use a non-foaming shave gel to shave my head. Intrigued, especially given I already use the hair conditioner trick to shave my head, I bought a bottle of this non-foaming gel from a local saloon/beauty supplies wholesaler for ₹120.

While the concept is great, there are two issues. Firstly, it dries off after a couple of minutes of application, meaning you have to wet the area again. I saw the barber doing this too. Secondly, it makes it really hard to shake off the shaved debris when you dip your razor in water after a pass. Too much of a hassle, so I've stowed it away after just one use. I'll continue to use the conditioner/gel combo for my routine.

Hmm, sometime early 1990s. Remember it being a good movie if a bit hard to follow. Maybe a re-watch is warranted.
I could be wrong but what I think he means is hot water will dull the edge (because of expansion) of the blade/razor.
The beard should be wet otherwise it can be as tough as steel wool and this is what blunts the blade.

Now as to whether hot or cold water. It doesn't matter as far as wetting the beard goes, temperature range isn't wide enough but people prefer hot because it's more comfortable. I recall a cold shaving blog from back in the day. People were getting just as good shaves.

Whether you get a nick or not is down to technique. Softer beard means you you apply less pressure so chances of nicks are lower. Also goes, without saying a sharper blade is safer than a blunt one. So if it's straight edge then maintenance is key

Nothing to do with blade temperature. I've never heard anything about that.
1. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your comment. I like to shave with razor's that offer only one cutting edge. Multi cutting edges irritates my skin.
Shavettes and Double edge razors offer single cutting edge. Gillette Guards also offers the same.
Yeah I should have said just one cutting edge.
2. Yes. Sometimes I shave once a week. Sometimes every alternate day (depending on client meetings and whether you are in the vicinity of country head / MD. So whether I have a long growth or short, the Guard with combs works fine. So would a Shavette (I used it for 15-20 years). Definitely Double edge razor would also work.
That's what combs are good for.
3. So why did I choose Guard? Because I found it convenient to use, maintain, buy from anywhere, anytime. I can adjust the aggression of the edge while shaving just the way one does for single edge or double edge razor. Also, the cost is peanuts and in my observation the blade retains sharpness longer compared to Gillette 7o clock platinum blades. Single and double edge razors require you to be ultra careful while general handling and especially during the mounting of the blade otherwise you may bump the edge and ruin it. Also there are chances of mis-alignment (razor edge vs blade edge) in case of SE (shavettes) and DE. Haven't faced any such issues with mass market implements like presto, guard, sensor excel etc.
Interesting. Maybe it's a better grade of steel so maintains its edge longer.

I guess one cutting edge instead of two isn't a loss then

Last edited:
Interesting. Maybe it's a better grade of steel so maintains its edge longer.

I guess one cutting edge instead of two isn't a loss then
If you are a user of disposable blade DE razor, then you can definitely try Gillete Gaurd, it offer similar experience but is lighter in weight. El Cheapo so that you can throw it away without remorse if you don't like the experience.

Back