The wet shaving thread

@blr_p would the sub 150rs alum found in supermarkets do the job?? or any good brands needed??
Rs.15-20 not 150. One i have is made by a company called Lucas. Trick is you never wash it. Otherwise it will dissolve and be over in under a year. Not something you share, only for personal use.

I also picked up an unfinished 0.5 kg rock off some traditional remedy store close to a temple, that cost me Rs.7 and was translucent. A little bit of sanding and its been great for over 2 years now. A finished translucent one like that will cost much more.

The Rs.15-20 one is opaque. maybe its me but i seems it stings a little more than the translucent one.

Last edited:
guys unable to find alum in nearby supermarkets...

is this overpriced???

http://www.ebay.in/itm/shaving-alum-alum-men-alum-/281300579773?pt=in_shaving_hair_removal

Like 10x over priced. Do not go to a supermarket. Go to a grocery shop which sells "everything". House hold goods and eatables. In Hindi we call it "fitkari"; not sure what it would be in your local language. Ask the shop-keeper. He will have it. Basically local shops, but the big ones, which follow the traditional set up: of a fat man with a pot-belly (usually unshaven) selling articles and servants running around to complete the orders.

lol @asingh

you were right... i was asking for shaving alum in supermarkets and got weird looks.

seems alum is the same as phitkari (hindi) & padigaram (tamil). It's a religious thing here, tied in front of stuffs like home, car, bicycle :p etc. My mother had a huge block and broke some of it and used, after sanding as mentioned by @blr_p above. It's also translucent.

applied it and it's stinging all over meaning my tech is bad :arghh:

P.S: used a new blade today. always used 7o clock black platinum blades and used super max economy blade today & found it a bit rough. What blades do you guys use??

Great, you acquired it. It will give great feedback. A must after a DE/SE shave.

P.S: used a new blade today. always used 7o clock black platinum blades and used super max economy blade today & found it a bit rough. What blades do you guys use??

I used Zorrick - black initially. Was fine. With 7 O'Clock - Greens, I got a lot of rash and cuts. I think my technique may have been lame. Now I am doing fine with Wilkinson Sword @ RS. 12 / 5 blades. They are decent, but not that sharp. Good blades to learn on, then I may go back to 7 O'Clock- Greens. Later will try to procure mother-of-all: Feathers. Though never seen them, up North here. Will try out Topaz too. Once has to experiment, but technique fundamentals are important initially.

seems alum is the same as phitkari (hindi) & padigaram (tamil). It's a religious thing here, tied in front of stuffs like home, car, bicycle :p etc. My mother had a huge block and broke some of it and used, after sanding as mentioned by @blr_p above. It's also translucent.
Bingo!

Had no luck finding it in the city, and only came across it on a trip to a smaller town. When i went to that shop by the temple, what amazed me was the knowledge of the people there. Ask what is this or that is used for and get very comprehensive answers. Was not aware of any religious significance, thought it was traditional remedy.

Just do one pass then and add more when you can pass the alum test.

About holding the razor, you want to hold it at the point where it balances. Try to balance the razor on your finger. With the knack as it has a plastic handle the balance point is closer to the head. Same will apply to the sterling. With thicker metal handles the fulcrum will be further away from the head.

Danger with razors that balance near the head is you can easily apply more pressure without realising it. Takes some time to ease off.

Will try out Topaz too.
Yeah, let us know how it goes.

The laser company has not been good for me at all.

Last edited:
I was looking for the Merkur 34C on Amazon.com but they only have the Merkur 33C available for shipping to India. Anyone here using the 33C? Pros/ Cons

Anyone here uses Cutthroat razor?
I bought one for quite cheap + griding stone - but the quality (edge sharpness, and edge straightness) left a lot to be desired.
Hence, went back to using cut throat with disposable blades ...

It also appears rather murky. Must be the impurities. Good quality Alum is usually white/transparent.
This is one of the things i'm unsure about. Whether its bad or good i don't know.

Why is it opaque to begin with. Do they boil the solution and then pour it into casts. That would be simpler and produce more uniform size bars than machining individual bars. Abrasion can cloud the surface and make it look opaque.

If you look at the bars sold, they tend to have small bubbles, maybe that's not the right word, but the crystal structure isn't uniform there seem to be cells in there all the way through.

Another point i've heard is some bars have ammonium in them which gives a sharper sting than potassium. Trying out either i can say both sting as much if you get it wrong so i can't tell the difference.

btw i find merkur 34c on amazon for around 44$.

And the cheapest pure badger brush, shipped from US to india for 1550 rs,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G647Y8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm wondering if i should go for it, or get something better, at around 45$ and ask my relatives to bring it,when they come here.

Honestly, just wait it out. And ask a friend/relative to bring over the HD 34C. Even I am going to do that. Till now I have been using a Gillette SS replica (locally bought), with a TTO blade silo.

@all:
Mapped my face, and the lower jaw area irritation is gone -moving- WTG, center-->out from the Adam's Apple. Lost focus today at the side chin, and and got a deep nick; basically long-tugged the razor, cartridge style. Will have to forego shaving tomorrow, to allow the face to heal.

^ nah that merkur was for jsmithe who enquired above.

I ve already ordered edwin jagger, and thinking of going for a good badger brush around 50$

And Ouch at the deep cut :hungover:

And the cheapest pure badger brush, shipped from US to india for 1550 rs,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G647Y8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'm wondering if i should go for it, or get something better, at around 45$ and ask my relatives to bring it,when they come here.
Edwin jagger best badger

This is the one i got over two years back. Its very good. The stand helps to dry it out after use. Rooneys go for much more.

There is a difference in the grade of badger hair used, 100% badger, best badger , pure badger. The more expensive ones absorb water better and give you a good lather the fastest.

Back