The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Discussion Thread

Re: The Witcher 2 - Discussion Thread

Ethan_Hunt said:
Just saw the GameTrailers review and holy shit, this game looks amazing. But seeing how the graphics of this game would make a mice-meat of my graphic card, I'm in two minds to sacrifice the visuals or not. :(

I haven't played the first game, but I'll definitely try this one out. How difficult is the inventory management and upgrade system?
Try it.

But do play 1. i left it midway due to poor controls but will try it soon.Witcher 1 also had stunning visuals when it was released.

But do play 1. i left it midway due to poor controls but will try it soon.Witcher 1 also had stunning visuals when it was released.

no point playing it now, it's 2007 true to the word(like less than oblivion level)

v.Na5h said:
so how much fps do u get??
have u disabled ssao(whatever) and other demanding settings

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

i too follow the same strategy
1920 -low/med/high
but it has to be 1920x1080

Realized it was uber sampling which was responsible, had to turn it off, the rest are on default Ultra settings, CCC 11.5 drivers, All settings under 3d to application managed.
tw2settings.jpg

FPS @ 1360x768

Frames 177
Time (ms) 3556
Min 47
Max 52
Avg 49.775

Quick question - is the storyline related to the first title? Might give this a shot. The reviews are just too good although I am afraid I am not a big-time RPG genre fan. :ashamed:

^^Nope witcher 2 kicks in with a complete new story.but if you have not even started witcher 1 previously you will surely find the intro a bit confusing. But you can play 1 as this one has an option to port the saves from the former.

^Thanks! I wouldn't mind playing the first title as long as it has an awesome storyline and gameplay like the Mass Effect series. I hope I wouldn't get the feeling that gfx is a bit outdated.

Gannu said:
Quick question - is the storyline related to the first title? Might give this a shot. The reviews are just too good although I am afraid I am not a big-time RPG genre fan. :ashamed:
Are you a fan of the fantasy genre? Like you, even I am new to the RPG genre and the only RPG games that I have played are Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1/2. Although I absolutely loved those titles and would have easily spent 100+ hours completing those games, the whole fantasy genre didn't excite me so much. Maybe the reason I liked Fallout and Mass Effect was because those games were so realistic. Witcher 2 started on a promising note but I lost interest pretty soon. The whole making potions, magic, collecting herbs and all turned me off. I like fantasy genre in movies/TV so gave witcher 2 a try. The 5770 didn't handle the game so well, maybe when I upgrade, I will give it another try.

Regarding the story, from what I understand, its not directly related. Plus you do play events from the first game in a flashback kind of mode so playing the original is not a necessity imo.

Bluffmaster said:
Are you a fan of the fantasy genre? Like you, even I am new to the RPG genre and the only RPG games that I have played are Fallout 3, Mass Effect 1/2. Although I absolutely loved those titles and would have easily spent 100+ hours completing those games, the whole fantasy genre didn't excite me so much. Maybe the reason I liked Fallout and Mass Effect was because those games were so realistic. Witcher 2 started on a promising note but I lost interest pretty soon. The whole making potions, magic, collecting herbs and all turned me off. I like fantasy genre in movies/TV so gave witcher 2 a try. The 5770 didn't handle the game so well, maybe when I upgrade, I will give it another try.
And no, the gameplay is not like Mass Effect. The first game had a point and click style gameplay like dragon age. Watch some videos on youtube and decide if the gameplay interests you.

The game has the problem not anything else.Moreover which cpu you have?kindly check previous posts also especially your post at page no 4 .keep ssao uber sampling off and texture memory size high.

^I can very well play the game on 1920x1080 resolution with everything medium but on medium it just doesn't look that good. Lowering the resolution results in black bars which are really distracting.

Bluffmaster said:
^I can very well play the game on 1920x1080 resolution with everything medium but on medium it just doesn't look that good. Lowering the resolution results in black bars which are really distracting.
why everything.:S including the above specified also put shadows to medium.
if you have a low ghz dual core try to overclock it.in your videos i have observed almost every one has a quad core.

30 fps is enough for this game.try and explore every possibilities before reaching for a conclusion.

try this also.The Witcher 2 Performance Issues SOLVED

I have a Phenom II X4 965, I am sure CPU is not the issue. The problem is that the framerate is not consistent. Ever so often it drops down to less than 20 while running or during intense combat. Waiting for the patch, hope it helps.

Bluffmaster said:
Are you a fan of the fantasy genre?
Not really. TBH the only RPG titles I have played by far would be ME 1 & 2 (if the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series and Borderlands do not count!). Udit had recommended me ME 1 long back and although I began playing it then, I lost touch after the first few hours into the game and left the game. Installed it later when some of them in the forums recommended playing the game a bit more and got engrossed to it. :p ME 2 took it a completely different level altogether and the DLCs were just too good.

Will definitely try The Witcher and the second title. Let us see how the fantasy genre inspires me. :p

^I have made it my thumb rule to watch plenty of gameplay videos before investing in a game. Do that with Witcher 1. Even I wanted to try out Witcher 1 but after watching the gameplay videos I decided against it. It just looks dated and not something that I would enjoy.

Also, if you want to try out the fantasy genre, I think Dragon age is a better game than Witcher although I have not played much of Dragon age but the presentation impressed me. I wanted to try oblivion too but I guess its too old now, will surely give Skyrim a try.

When is the patch due? The game looked gorgeous in the review. I'll start this immediately after I complete L.A. Noire.

@Bluffmaster

dude you got to be kidding me! it still has the potential to compete with crysis ask any oblivion fan here. i have completed the game long back.
even i dont like rpgs but still i liked oblivion its music atmosphere are just awesome.
If you are still unsatisfied download carls enhanced texture mod and then comment.Moreover what i have figured from skyrim trailers you wont understand it properly if you have skipped oblivion.

That dragon trailer kind of shows skyrim will begin from where oblivion ended.

^The RPG genre has evolved since oblivion. Com'on, its been 5 years now, do you think it can still compete with latest RPG titles gfx wise? I am sure its a brilliant game but its a 5 year old game.

oblivion had real HDR lighting...W2 just has Bloom which looks half as good as HDR

Bluffmaster said:
It just looks dated and not something that I would enjoy.
ZACTLY. And that is the reason i gave the first one a miss. Will surely "try" the second one though :p

Gannu said:
Not really. TBH the only RPG titles I have played by far would be ME 1 & 2 (if the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series and Borderlands do not count!). Udit had recommended me ME 1 long back and although I began playing it then, I lost touch after the first few hours into the game and left the game. Installed it later when some of them in the forums recommended playing the game a bit more and got engrossed to it. :p ME 2 took it a completely different level altogether and the DLCs were just too good.

Will definitely try The Witcher and the second title. Let us see how the fantasy genre inspires me. :p
Same here! I don't like RPG's really. Mass Effect is totally different though. :D
Post here if you get hooked on to it. I'll try it too then. :p

Btw, I had installed Dragon Age Origins, played it for 10 min, then got bored and uninstalled it. :p (I know to soon to judge a game but still :p)

Back