The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Discussion Thread

Re: The Witcher 2 - Discussion Thread

Ethan_Hunt said:
BTW, did anyone check out photos of Triss in Polish Playboy magazine? ;)
Dont get me started on that Ethan..:p I jus cant take those images off my mind! Ah such beauty..Need to play the game to see her in action!

Performance rape ALERT! :(

I just installed the game, installed the patch and have 11.5a hotfix installed. Here's a screenshot of my settings:

99485823.jpg

My configuration is:

E8400 @Stock 3Ghz

ATI HD4850 512MB @stock speeds

2GB 667Mhz DDR II RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit

The intro movie of the game was awesome and the background score was so EPIC. But as soon as I hit the in-game cut-scene of Geralt running through the forest, the frame rates took a nose dive to 15-18fps. In-doors, we have have some stability at 30fps, but as soon as I selected the 'Assault' choice, the battle began and the frame drops were simply un-bearable. I know I'm f*cked as far as the hardware specifications are concerned, but do you guys have any suggestions to tone down anything else in the settings to maintain stable frame rates? :ashamed:

^^i didnt applied the patch yet.

Well not sure but it seems lowering the resolutions also wont help as the game is settings specific.:D

your solution

maybe follow this guy YouTube - ‪[HD] The Witcher 2 - HD 4850 Gameplay ULTRA Settings‬‏ and switch to windows xp.:D

and do texture downscaling to low or medium,antialiasing off also keep that vsync off!
crank up rest of the settings a bit.

and yeah gannu may be right too.Higher clock speed proccy seems to perform better.

^The game is very much CPU dependent my friend. Why don't you try overclocking that processor to 4GHz?

Understood a bit about the gameplay. Watching Youtube videos really helps. :D

Aman was right, reducing the resolution gave a frame rate boost. Unfortunately, the screen does not scale and I have black bars on all sides. Sticking to 1920x1080 with random settings for now. Quick question, in my initial conversation with Vernon, I had four options to select. I chose the assault and managed to fire the ballista. My question is that once you're done with this part, do you get to play the other 3 options too? I take it, that's a part of the prologue chapter.

Unfortunately, the screen does not scale and I have black bars on all sides.

Tell me about it. :| I am trying to find a fix for this problem but can't seem to find any. :( The experience with low framerate just wasn't the same therefore had to put this game on hold till I upgrade. :|

@Ethan

How did you install the patch it always says "installed game version is invalid or incomplete"

u got the black box version? ;-)

i got the same problem,PM me if uv got the Black Box version

Yes i'm playing on 1920X1080 with lowest config and game still looks tremendous.

Anyone knows how do i recover the health in a battle ? The game does a poor job of hand holding........................

ubergeek said:
EFFIN 9gb patch for steam user **** YOU CDPROJEKT
Actually, the problem is with the way steam does patching. It checks which file has been modified and then proceeds to download the whole file! In this case, the patch modifies pak0.dzip which is 9GB. So, steam promptly downloads the whole file even though the changes themselves are very small.
Ethan_Hunt said:
Quick question, in my initial conversation with Vernon, I had four options to select. I chose the assault and managed to fire the ballista. My question is that once you're done with this part, do you get to play the other 3 options too? I take it, that's a part of the prologue chapter.
Yea, you will have to go through all the options. As for settings
SETTINGS INFO
-Texture downscaling: Increase this for better performance.
-Texture memory size: Lower the better.
- Shadow quality: Consumes GPU power without affecting CPU performance. Lower the better.
- Number of shadowed lights: Consumes GPU power without affecting CPU performance. Lower the better.
- LOD distance: Lower values improve game performance but result in reduced detail on models.
- Bloom: effect greatly improves quality of game graphics without placing excess demands on GPU. Reduce other things before this.
- Light shafts: visual effect recommended for medium-high/high-end machines. Should be disabled on older systems.
- Anti-aliasing: demanding effect that can significantly reduce performance, so it should be disabled on medium and low-end machines.
- Blur effects: Disable this.
- Depth of field – gameplay: subtle visual effect. Disable this for better FPS. But it looks really sweet in this game!
- Vignette: aesthetic option that produces a photographic vignette around the game screen. Does not affect performance.
- Rain, Wet surfaces rain effect: modest impact on performance. So, reduce other things first.
- SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion): lighting effect that is important to the game but unfortunately places significant demands on the GPU. Disable this!
- Motion blur: blur effect on camera movement, demanding on the GPU. Disable this. Also, it looks quite ugly, imo.
- Cinematic depth of field: provides movie-like depth of field in cutscenes and dialogue sequences. Extremely detailed but demands significant power. Disable this.
- Depth of field – cutscenes: option only affects cutscenes and dialogue sequences, does not affect gameplay performance. Leave it on, i guess.
- Dangling objects limit: limiter for physical animation of character components like Geralt's hair. Disabling this option places greater demands on the CPU. So, turn this ON for better performance.
- Ubersampling: Asbolutely disable this!!!
- Vertical sync: useful only if you get screen tearing.
- Decals: can affect CPU performance. Maybe disable this.
dinjo said:
Anyone knows how do i recover the health in a battle ? The game does a poor job of hand holding........................
Well, you need to pop a swallow potion BEFORE the battle. This isnt really an option when you werent really expecting an encounter. So, what you can probably do is pop Quen and run like mad! Which tree are you into? If you are going Signs/magic tree, then Quen becomes ridiculously OP.

alright guys i may be wrong but speaking with some guys and watching some youtube videos it seems that the game performs better in higher i5 and i7 range proccys.

pretttt said:
Well, you need to pop a swallow potion BEFORE the battle. This isnt really an option when you werent really expecting an encounter. So, what you can probably do is pop Quen and run like mad! Which tree are you into? If you are going Signs/magic tree, then Quen becomes ridiculously OP.
Not really sure i understand that since game isn't showing what needs to be done

pretttt said:
Yea, you will have to go through all the options. As for settings

Awesome! I'll see how it goes then. Thanks for the tweaks. :)

Also, is it just me or is the text WAY TOO small in this game @1920x1080?

Ethan_Hunt said:
Awesome! I'll see how it goes then. Thanks for the tweaks. :)

Also, is it just me or is the text WAY TOO small in this game @1920x1080?
nope strangely its like that only.:D

quan chi said:
alright guys i may be wrong but speaking with some guys and watching some youtube videos it seems that the game performs better in higher i5 and i7 range proccys.
It does perform well with the higher end processors that sports at least 4 cores or above. This game is heavily CPU dependent.

Can't wait to try this out but I guess I'll do that once I am done with my share of other backlogs. I prefer attempting RPG titles with some patience. :ashamed:

quan chi said:
nope strangely its like that only.:D

Drat! Looks like I'll need a new magnifying glass now. :p

Check out IGN's video review. I'm not sure what rig they are playing it on, but that's the level of smooth gameplay we need.

Back