Think twice before ordering Internal Hard Drives from Flipkart

I purchased a WD20EZRX from flipkart.com. It was delivered the very next day - very fast service.
But, the packing was terrible. The hard drive was put in a plastic envelope and sent to me. Their FAQ clearly mentions that fragile items are securely packed with bubble wrap. What is more fragile than a hard drive? I have contacted them, but they do not seem very concerned. They are instead telling me that items are packed carefully in their warehouse. How can a company improve if they do not accept that they have a problem? I am afraid how the next drive is going to come.

This drive makes strange noises when connected to the PC. I couldn't get the PC to boot past the initial checks (after bios screen) when this drive is connected.

All my packages were filled with packaged air and bubble wrap. i guess they are cutting cost.

Do you have a local FK ware house ?

Yours looks like a standalone issue. Maybe they just forgot to pack it properly. I've bought many products from Flipkart and they all were well packed even the small stuffs like pendrives. :bigok:

I've bought a couple 3TB drives from FK and they arrived in boxes with air pouches and bubble wrap too, so I'm guessing that yours is either oversight or a sign of times to come.

You can ask them to take the drive back for exchange.

They are a bunch of idiots, I ordered 2x 4GB Laptop RAM and got it in seperate packages. One stick came in a huge box with air filled bags for padding and the 2nd stick came in a plastic envelope with 0 padding

Both were from same order, shipped from same Delhi warehouse at the same time and delivered together

I think this is an isolated issue, but it is still good to write them a formal complaint.

I was actually considering telling them that they use too much bubble wrap and the packaging is a little too much. Especially when ordering games, you have to dig through so much packaging just to reach it, but then it has it's own fun.

The replacement drive arrived today. It was packed much better - came in a cardboard box and the drive was bubble wrapped. It seems to be working fine, I just completed a full format

This drive is made in Malaysia (imported by Ingram Micro) while the previous one was from Thailand (imported by Redington) - not sure if it matters

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 936
Got a 2TB delivered today - just in time since my 320GB and 1.5TB have started reporting bad sectors. It was also packed in the same manner - a cardboard wrapping and the drive inside was in a huge bubble wrap. 2 year warranty till 22 Feb 2015. 2 year warranty is a real bummer.

Yet to test it out. Will report back here if any issues.

Once you add VAT, the cost of getting your arse to NP and back, and the possible 2.5% extra all brick-and-mortar computer shops charge for the privilege of using your credit card, the cost difference is not as much as you think - I'm betting FK works out much cheaper than 10% difference.

I added VAT & then compared the price , you dont have to use CC to pay if they charge 2.5% extra , Seagate 2 TB Rs 5850 on Flipkart & 5300 on C2C (inc VAT ) , thats exactly 10% extra

HDD prices are not really coming down. If anything, the 1TB's espcially from WD are almost always OOS across the place. I have no idea why.

Most of the guys seem to be pushing the 2TB's and 3TB stocks. Flipkart's pricing on the 1TB Black jumped from 5.4k to 6.1k recently... while in Mumbai, the 1TB Black is consistently OOS

Got mine a couple of days back. Big bubble wrap. But then its a laptop HDD so this packing is sufficient.

Attachments

• IMAG0203.jpg
    IMAG0203.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 302
Ordered 1 TB Black and it came wrapped exactly like a book. One thin sheet of bubble wrap with bubbles all busted and wrapped in cardboard. I took pictures and sent them to Flipkart along with a curt mail and a lesson on how to pack hard drives. Got a response saying your complaint has been registered and we will help you return the drive if its not working. I tested the drive and its working fine with no bad sectors.

Back