Tired of youtube ads, can we block them somehow ?

Mr India

Disciple
I use youtube on phone a lot and nowdays like every video has these long crappy unskippable ads. how to block them on the youtube app on my Samsung Galaxy.

Same here. It's even worse now with those 30 second ads which you can't skip.

Also, my Chrome pages also seem to have ads between the pages. Is there a good solution for it's removal on Android?

Google found a way to bypass Adblock in YouTube
According to these reports, YouTube is now treating video ads as pre-clips, making it impossible to avoid them. The most interesting part is that it seems those with Adblock services activated will be worse off, as the option to skip the video will not be present for them. This can be a huge disadvantage considering some ads can run for multiple minutes. Those who want to skip videos will have to either white-list YouTube or disable Adblock services.

YouTube is stepping up its war on ad blockers by forcing some people to watch ads whether they like it or not
if the Google-owned video site detects that someone using the Google Chrome web browser is also using AdBlock Plus (or any other ad-blocking software), it removes the option to skip the pre-roll adverts that sometimes precede videos.

Last edited:
Height is even on playlists played via chromecast these ads are almost shown for every video. Its really irritating. Specially after being used to no advt on PC (Thanks to Adblock Plus) this is more difficult :(
Watching this thread if there is a way.
Sadly since its the Youtube app itself other apps will have very less(or maybe no) control inside it. The only straight forward way is to use other apps like tubemate etc. But they dont give the best exp like the official youtube app.

On my phone I use an Xposed module 'YouTube AdAway by Wanam'. Works perfect.

As for desktop, ABP is doing a fine job blocking those ads.
how to download and use it ? i use youtube app as i need to get subcribed video feeds and i watch from the youtube suggestions that suggests me new stuff on my past searches and view history

how to download and use it ? i use youtube app as i need to get subcribed video feeds and i watch from the youtube suggestions that suggests me new stuff on my past searches and view history

Seems you are not aware of Xposed Framework. Please read up on it thoroughly before doing anything. It needs a rooted device most importantly.
Which phone are you using and what firmware/ROM (official or custom)?

I think this is how its all going to end up as in future. Either pay for content or watch ads and let them get revenues that way. I would much rather that a site offers the option to pay directly than offer Ad's as the only choice.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ker-serves-up-steaming-pile-malware-ads.shtml

I din't expect this from Google. Unsolicited advertisement for revenues. They have multiple revenue sources anyways. Also, majority of users find targeted online marketing highly obnoxious and take it as private invasion.

^^ And what according to you might those revenue sources of Google be?

They get nothing from Android (They lose money) or any of their other software or services. After Motorola acquisition, they used to get 7~8% revenues from hardware, but that is no longer the case since the Lenovo deal. They get roughly 91% of their revenues from Ad's. Somebody working in Google like @Rave might be able to give a better picture of current breakup.

As I said, wait till they provide a paid subscription option for all their services and you can chose to not have Ad's. If they don't provide such an option, you still always have the option of not using their services.

Everything comes for a price. Nothing is free. The only thing that the price many not always be direct. That also applies for every bit of free and open source software that exists today.

Last edited:

They get nothing from Android (They lose money) or any of their other software or services. After Motorola acquisition, they used to get 7~8% revenues from hardware, but that is no longer the case since the Lenovo deal. They get roughly 91% of their revenues from Ad's. Somebody working in Google like @Rave might be able to give a better picture of current breakup.
Well, they utilize/sell data elsewhere. See, email marketing/ banners on Google is not distracting. However, compulsory video ads before every YouTube video is!

Well, they utilize/sell data elsewhere. See, email marketing/ banners on Google is not distracting. However, compulsory video ads before every YouTube video is!

Also. They have a cut for every Google stamped product they sell!

Also, I find those who criticize fb free basics and willingly support/give away their data to Google and the likes overtly hypocritical. Considering a company runs till perpetuity, I don't see any reason of not utilizing of that personal data by the company for other sinister motives.
Everything comes for a price. Nothing is free. The only thing that the price many not always be direct. That also applies for every bit of free and open source software that exists today.

Tell this to people who are revolting against free basics.

Back