Tomb Raider - Discussion Thread

re: Tomb Raider (2012) - Discussion Thread

Guardian of light was kinda disappointing. It wasn't 3rd person for starters. Was more of RPG Strategy type. Most of the game was puzzle solving with occasional fighting scenes. Boss fight with Xlolotl was hopeless. but its actually more fun to play 2 players Co-Op rather than single player. Makes the game a bit tougher and puzzles more challenging.

have loved every lara croft game made by CD till now...and they seem to be good with experimenting, loved the guardian of light...fantastic co-op....
i somehow have a feel that the game world could be something like shadow of the collossus...open world with lara and a world as beautifull as SoTC...
0_0

anaghdesai said:
Guardian of light was kinda disappointing. It wasn't 3rd person for starters. Was more of RPG Strategy type. Most of the game was puzzle solving with occasional fighting scenes. Boss fight with Xlolotl was hopeless. but its actually more fun to play 2 players Co-Op rather than single player. Makes the game a bit tougher and puzzles more challenging.
GoL was supposed to be just a spin off title with focus on Co-Op puzzle solving. It shouldnt be considered as a core Tomb Raider game. Personally, I dont like having combat heavy sequences in Tomb Raider games. Tomb Raider for me is about exploring isolated unknown ruins, solving crazy puzzles, finding artifacts and stuff like that.

There is always a real life model to go along with each generation of Lara Croft.

This one seems very inspired from a real person .. hope the 'rest of her' isn't .. ;)

dexBG said:
There is always a real life model to go along with each generation of Lara Croft.

This one seems very inspired from a real person .. hope the 'rest of her' isn't .. ;)
They said it was a reboot of sorts and there will not be a real life model this time.

That's what I find hard to believe. I mean the concept art that I posted above seems very much like a real life model.

pretttt said:
GoL was supposed to be just a spin off title with focus on Co-Op puzzle solving. It shouldnt be considered as a core Tomb Raider game. Personally, I dont like having combat heavy sequences in Tomb Raider games. Tomb Raider for me is about exploring isolated unknown ruins, solving crazy puzzles, finding artifacts and stuff like that.
Oh! okay then i guess it was a good game! :D

Tomb Raider (Reboot) announced !!!

Survival is the name of the game for Lara Croft's next virtual excursion -- well, the name of the game is actually Tomb Raider, but, you know -- and a few details from the January issue of Game Informer (which already found its way onto the info-hungry internets) have revealed exactly how said survival story will unfold.

- Lara is 21 in this game
- It's not only a reboot of the franchise but a reboot of the entire brand. As a result there will be no "real" Lara model this time.
- They're doing performance capturing with this game
- There are brutal deaths in the game this time. One is described as a deranged man stabbing Lara in the chest and then closing her eyes after she's dead. Another includes a boulder falling on her leg to trap her before another falls and crushes her head.
- CD won't talk specifics on weapons but concept art shows a bow, shotgun and pistol
- The lock on targeting system is gone and it now has a free aim system. CD says that it can compete with any of their competitors.
- "I think that the major difference between this game and the old is the concept of smoke and mirrors," begins Darrell Gallagher, the studio head at Crystal Dynamics. "There was an illusion of freedom because of streaming and loading that would pop you out in a different location, but this is absolutely real. You can literally go any direction that you see and carve your own way to the finish line instead of being guide."
- "It was important in the game to not only deliver the character arc of Lara Croft emotionally, but to deliver it in gameplay as well so the player gets to grow into a hardened survivor," says experienced director Noah Hughes. As the game unfolds, Lara will scavenge new tools and gear that augment her abilities. Lara's athletic prowess will also evolve. Some areas begin inaccessible due to physical limitations or scarce supplies. With the right skills and gear, however, the island is Lara's for the taking.
- There are base camps in the game. Here you can combine items to create something new and access a skill system to upgrade Lara's abilities. You'll also be able to use base camps to fast travel to different locations to minimize backtracking.
- You'll need to gather food and water in order to survive
- There are humans in the game, including some of the crew members from the shipwreck off the coast of the island.

That's about it. It seems like CD is still be fairly secretive about the gameplay details. There are some nice in-game screenshots. One features Lara hanging upside down in what looks to be a cocoon. Also several screenshots showing her bloodied and with bandages on.

As one might expect, the game's survivalist objective sets a grim tone -- Lara will have to forage for food and water to stay alive. She'll also have to avoid the traps and violent inhabitants strewn across the game's island setting, which, according to the article, are capable of dispatching Lara in extremely brutal ways. Like, ways that make the Tomb Raider 2 "Blow Lara Up" code seem like a minor papercut. Keep an eye out for the January issue of Game Informer for even more details about this interesting adventure.

Source:
NeoGAF
Joystiq
mrd0k6.jpg

10zzek2.jpg

k9gw80.jpg

What do you think ????

Re: Tomb Raider (Reboot) announced !!!

What do we think? The thread is already present in Gaming Section. :p

Apart from that, I think Lara looks awesome. Read the GI article for this game. I have the link for clear magazine scans for it. Let me know if you need it, I'll hook you up.

pretttt said:
Exactly. GoL was not intended to be a part of the Chronology and TR: Anniversary marked the 10th anniversary of the first title which was developed by Core Design in 1996. So here we go - Tomb Raider 9.

As for the in-game elements, a bit of stealth and combat - akin to the Uncharted series never hurts. With a dark side to it, it might actually be better than what we would expect. All of Crystal Dynamics' titles have been awesome so expect nothing short from these guys. This time, we have got zombies and a touch of horror perhaps going by the pics leaked through Game Informer's mags. But it does appear the news was already out that Square Enix was working on a title inspired by the survival horror genre.

This link from Bit-Tech UK was released in 2009 - Tomb Raider reboot to be survival horror? | bit-tech.net

TR News Channel said:
UNOFFICIAL STORY
When a sudden storm destroys her research vessel, a young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious and remote island hidden off the shores of Japan. Despite several signs of various inhabitants the island is oddly deserted, and an uneasy feeling settles in as strange sounds emerge from the shadows.

With only her determination, inner strength, and resourcefulness to help her, Lara must overcome the challenges of a harsh and unforgiving journey that will take her across a vast island wilderness and deep into the claustrophobic and menacing underground tombs from the island's past.

As she struggles to prevail through brutal combat encounters and treacherous exploration, Lara will be pushed to her limits and forced to adapt to her situation in order to survive and escape from the lethal predators that stalk her every move.

UNOFFICIAL FEATURES:
• Hunt or Be Hunted: Evade, outsmart, trick and kill the mysterious enemies that hunt you as prey.
• Survival Action: Brutally attack and defend yourself as you fight to survive through visceral one-on-one melee combat.
• Strategic Weapons: Gain an advantage in combat by finding an array of different melee and ranged weapons including a variety of guns, and the hunter's ultimate weapon, the bow.
• Creative Survival: React and adapt to the island by using only that which you can salvage from the environment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat game play options.
• Free Movement: Scramble up a vertical cliff wall, sprint and leap across a huge chasm, steer mid-air to land a misdirected jump: There is no one right way to traverse, survive, and explore the harsh environment of the island.
• One Cohesive World: The diverse multi-region island is an open playground alive with creatures, weather, and natural events.
• Origin Story: The new Tomb Raider concept reboots the franchise by exploring Lara Croft's transformation into a hardened adventurer as you unravel the story behind the island's mysterious past.

Some info I read on RPS: the open world island will work sort like the Arkham Island in Batman: Arkham Asylum. The entire island will be one big open world, but parts of the island become accessible slowly as Lara learns new moves or gains new items. This is exactly like how it was in Arkham Asylum.

All I ask of is the puzzle solving to be retained like the previous games. The combat aspect was hardly anything to write home about in the previous games. She could be stranded in Hades's underworld for all I care, but keep the puzzles and platforming challenging enough to be appreciated. Also I hope they fix the collison detection and the jump issues.

Ethan_Hunt said:
All I ask of is the puzzle solving to be retained like the previous games. The combat aspect was hardly anything to write home about in the previous games. She could be stranded in Hades's underworld for all I care, but keep the puzzles and platforming challenging enough to be appreciated. Also I hope they fix the collison detection and the jump issues.
Yes, it should feature some awesome puzzles & strategic combat system along with the new features and creatures. Crystal Dynamics should not mess with the core element of this title also they should fix some camera angle issues nut its not a big deal.

Desecrator said:
Exactly. GoL was not intended to be a part of the Chronology and TR: Anniversary marked the 10th anniversary of the first title which was developed by Core Design in 1996. So here we go - Tomb Raider 9.

As for the in-game elements, a bit of stealth and combat - akin to the Uncharted series never hurts. With a dark side to it, it might actually be better than what we would expect. All of Crystal Dynamics' titles have been awesome so expect nothing short from these guys. This time, we have got zombies and a touch of horror perhaps going by the pics leaked through Game Informer's mags. But it does appear the news was already out that Square Enix was working on a title inspired by the survival horror genre.

This link from Bit-Tech UK was released in 2009 - Tomb Raider reboot to be survival horror? | bit-tech.net
Wow if this is true, it sounds really promising. :D

I for one loved 'Guardian of light'.It was kind of a refreshing departure from the typical tomb raider's 'dry' gameplay.Btw, i want new game to be something on the lines of WET..the emphasis should me more on 'guns'.

Back