Tomb Raider - Discussion Thread

re: Tomb Raider (2012) - Discussion Thread

BTW I don't think (not sure about this though!) mag scans are illegal. I've seen Uncharted 3's FB link with OPM and EGW scans of the mag.

Well they are copyrighted content. But there are websites which allow few scans to be posted, but never a full magazine. I didn't find any rule pertaining to it out here, so I'm still doubtful. So just have a check, if you want to and remove/re-link or whatever feels right.

Yep thought so. Oh well, at least some of us got a good glimpse of her. :p

Now where's that Karl Stewart promised?

Love her...! (thank god some people do not access this forum). :)

Details revealed from the Spanish Magazine:

* If you walk into this game expecting Lara Croft from the previous Tomb Raider games, you’ll be disappointed. This Lara is human; she bleeds and suffers and will have to fight for her survival.

* You’ll have to get used to seeing fear and pain in Lara’s face. Her expressions and even the camera movements have been generated using motion capture.

* The new game, titled just Tomb Raider, will be a complete reboot. The developers decided to re-imagine Lara Croft, who’ll have very little in common with the woman from earlier titles, who had an enviable body and could perform super-human acrobatics at will. The main story, development, and even the main character will re-start from scratch in this game.

* The story revolves around a young Lara Croft, who’s shown as a teenager just out of university. A rational and analytical young lady, she goes on a expedition in a ship called Endurance, which sinks next to an island close to the coast of Japan. She’s the sole survivor of the shipwreck.

* Helping hands and UI will be kept to a minimum, even though the game will show things like what can be burnt, or which buttons to press in Quicktime events.

* The island’s central area will serve as the main headquarters. In the main camp, you’ll be able to “buy” abilities, make new tools or get back to missions you’ve already finished. The remaining area will be used to climb or search for new missions.

* Lara has a “Survival Instinct”. By pressing a button you can activate a special view which will put a different colour to “interesting” elements in the environment: the background and non relevant objects will be shown in shades of grey and the clues in yellow. That way you’ll be able to follow traces normally invisible to the eye. For example, wolf footprints could lead you to a med-kit. When you reach it, one of those animals might attack you.

* Puzzles will be more complex than in previous installments. They won’t be just about observing the environment, but about thinking about how water and fire interact, the importance of gravity, explosives, and so on.

* The camera will use innovative framings to add to sensations of anguish or claustrophobia. The game has a renewed graphics engine known as Crystal Engine.

Many games have influenced the new Tomb Raider:

* Physics from Half Life 2 – The usage of gravity or water currents was already explored in this classic game. Here such concepts will be put to use with boxes and barrels.

* Atmosphere of Uncharted – Nathan’s soliloquies will be “limited” by Lara, as well as the extreme situations for the main character.

* The “vision” of Assassin’s Creed – Ezio’s Eagle Sight isolates different objectives using colours. Lara will be able to do something similar using her Survival Instinct.

* The origin story of Batman Begins – The first act in the film showed Bruce Wayne’s hard path to become Batman. That “hero’s journey” will guide Lara’s first steps.

* The suffering of 127 Hours – In that movie, the main character has to punish his body to survive. The most famous scene in the film inspired the guys at Crystal Dynamics to force Lara’s resistance to the limit.

* The mysteries of Lost - Strange wrecked ships? An remote island full of mysteries? Lost’s plot has been acknowledged by Crystal Dynamics.

Another magazine, this time a French one named Consoles, has revealed some additional details:

* The adventure is divided into three big “episodes”, each one corresponding to a part of Lara’s transformation into an adventurer: survive, rescue and escape.

* The laws of gravity and centrifugal force allow Lara to go through her obstacles.

* The transition between cinematics and game is almost invisible.

* Lara’s grief is accentuated by effects like close-to-face cameras, on-screen blur.

* Lara changes throughout the game. She will evolve from a young, inexperienced woman to an adventurer. It will be apparent from her equipment (the article says that it might be possible to see her double pistols), for example.

* Lara can only use Survival Instinct when she’s standing still.

* There are many ways to solve puzzles, and sometimes you’ll have to try multiple times thanks to the use of physics.

* Buddha statues are visible throughout the game. Although it’s speculated these are save points, their exact role is unknown for now.

* Some elements of the world fall when Lara stands on them for too long.

Some more stuff:
tomb-raider-screenshot-6.jpg

tomb-raider-screenshot-4.jpg

tomb-raider-screenshot-3.jpg

Lara_Croft_concept.jpg

Awesome. So many references to other games and movies. This looks a bit Resident Evil'ish. :D

Aman27deep said:
Great question. But whY not? She's hawt!
So is Megan Fox, but we don't see her being cast as Lara Croft. It's not just about being hot, but being physically flexible and most importantly, having a British accent. :p

Ethan_Hunt said:
So is Megan Fox, but we don't see her being cast as Lara Croft. It's not just about being hot, but being physically flexible and most importantly, having a British accent. :p
i don't know why you are so obsessed with megan fox.:lol: have you seen her closely.or closeups.I have observed you in many forums you go on bragging about her.

anyways choices differ but as far as i am concerned she is a timid and innocent type of girl(may be not that innocent afterall.:D).The filmmakers tried very hard to make her look sexy,and they were successful to some extent.

I'm not "obsessed" with Megan Fox. I just used her as an example, and she is definitely hot. The only other forum I have posted about her would be on ThinkDigit, which would be fairly recent, for her dismissal from TF3. If that one post counts as "bragging", then yes, I "bragged" about her. :p

The point was to check if Olivia Wilde was an ideal choice for being cast as Lara Croft or not. She looks extremely cute, I'd give you that, but hardly looks Lara Croft material. Alison Carroll, would make a perfect Lara Croft, physically I mean. Her acting skills still loom in the dark. Apart from that, she's a gymnast, has a smokin' hot body and *ding* *ding* *ding* she's British. :D

All the previous Lara Croft movies were bunch of bat droppings. So not really keen on a movie being made, unless it really makes an attempt to take the game franchise seriously.

Ethan_Hunt said:
The only other forum I have posted about her would be on ThinkDigit, which would be fairly recent, for her dismissal from TF3. . :pIf that one post counts as "bragging", then yes, I "bragged" about her.
lol i wouldnt have made this post if it was only for that recent matter.yes in thinkdigit only i have seen some of your posts.now it will be difficult for me to search those posts.But i do remember you mentioned about her there more than twice before also, one as i remember after watching jennifers body.and the rest cant recollect properly.But one statement was always common "she is hot":D

what i meant to say was maybe she is for you! but not for all as i also dont find her that much hot.:no::D
Ethan_Hunt said:
I'm not "obsessed" with Megan Fox.
and she is definitely hot
:rofl: hmm..... i can understand....:eek:hyeah:

sorry i hurted your feelings.:D

Ethan_Hunt said:
The point was to check if Olivia Wilde was an ideal choice for being cast as Lara Croft or not. She looks extremely cute, I'd give you that, but hardly looks Lara Croft material. Alison Carroll, would make a perfect Lara Croft, physically I mean. Her acting skills still loom in the dark. Apart from that, she's a gymnast, has a smokin' hot body and *ding* *ding* *ding* she's British. :DAll the previous Lara Croft movies were bunch of bat droppings. So not really keen on a movie being made, unless it really makes an attempt to take the game franchise seriously.

Ok enough offtopic :-[ let me explain this in simple.:)

1.Lara croft is a character created out of imagination.Every character should have a look to describe something about his/her personality.
2.This personality also plays a significant role in the story which is woven around the character.
3.The dialogues,movement,interaction....etc.everything becomes a function of that charisma.
4.Now a primitive human mind accepts the first projected image of that character as a permanent one.which rebells against any change if made later.
5.But how come it accepts the change if it is compelling enough.

What i want to say is yes appearance does matter but not completely.what matters is how he or she can make that character alive.
Olivia Wilde may not look too much similar to lara.But upto some extent yes she does have that look.Her face from the upper portion to the zygomatic part she has some similarities with lara.

Frankly speaking I did not liked angelina jolie as lara croft.About her lara croft films i would say it could have been better.Wasnt much satisfying.But still when i was watching the movie i didnt felt like leaving it in the middle.I have seen both of her movies till the end.This is because though those films didn't had much to offer but the presentation wasn't that bad.

To add more I loved legend and anniversary have almost no complaints against those.But i didnt liked underworld that much.It felt like it was missing something which the other two titles had.

Back