Torn between Android and WP

V!bU

Bang Bang Bang!!!
Adept
Nov 12, 2010
Bangalore
Even i have noticed it whenever i open it i will download from scratches as if am opening it for the first time and the bing maps also not that good, i have switched to iPhone so my memories abt WP7 are fading away day by day
<

pratzgh1

Pratzgh1
Adept
May 31, 2010
Navi Mumbai
WP7 is in the early stages and somehow after the ICS switch so will android be, but the fact that android has backward compatibility for the applications, and 'may learn from the mistakes' hopes, it is my choice!

Also the basic multitasking is a must for a smartphone, IMO, and android shines here. We still have a lot to see from WP and ICS. Bro, choose what you prefer, applications that can change the very existance of the phone or a locked fluid OS, that has great usability but restricts you top use it as per their limitations.

zhopudey

Skilled
May 14, 2005
videos - zune transcodes everything, dunno why this is even mentioned as a drawback

mass storage mode - again, i haven't missed it yet.

There is nothing "smart" about having to convert videos in order to play them on your phone.

RD274

I.can.edit.this?omg
Skilled
Sep 9, 2009
Ahmedabad
Just yesterday I was frustrated because I can't use Whats App properly due to the fact that WP7 does not support multitasking and background apps. Just reinforces my earlier point, if you are ready to compromise on the user experience to some extent then WP7 is a good platform to own.

I like my WP7 phone a lot but not a week passes by when I wonder whether I should jump back to Android.

Whats wrong with Whats App? I'm on some patched up HD7 rom for my HD2 and even then it works pretty well. Theres a slight amount of lag as it loads up messages but otherwise its great. As for multi tasking ... Whats wrong with that? The mango implementation is pretty good. Some apps do have the "loading..." screen up for a second or so but thats quite bearable. I do agree with the latter part of your comment, you have to compromise a bit. You CANNOT expect WP7 to be anywhere as dynamic or flexible as Android.

You aren't missing a lot. I switch between Android and WP7 every 2 weeks, Android is great but its the laggy and dull experience at times that kills it for me and has me coming back to WP7. If you have an HTC WP7 then hope that DFT can get Android running on them, I'm sure they could and its only a matter of time before they figure it out.

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Dec 31, 2004
Pune
Basically, Facebook, texting, better battery life, emails are my priority Social Network integration and ease of use is key.
Can't comment on battery life as it should be device specific. For everything else that you mentioned WP7 is a great phone. I simply love the email client on WP7. The facebook app is very convenient and the social integration is amazing.

RS4

Skilled
May 16, 2010
India
Can't comment on battery life as it should be device specific. For everything else that you mentioned WP7 is a great phone. I simply love the email client on WP7. The facebook app is very convenient and the social integration is amazing.

+1,WP7 has lovely email client and the best social network integration.

Then I think in another 4 months things are going to get pretty heated up.

Hopefully Tango update won't disappoint.

Nothings gonna change in another 4 months in both android as well as WP7 world, Tango will be a very small update mostly to optimise the OS to run on cheaper handsets and support different markets and languages along with some small additions like folders.

The big update will be the WP8 or Apollo which will be released in Nov-Dec. 2012, ofcourse WP7 has the advantage that all the handsets will be upgraded to the latest version within a month or less unlike the android world where you have to wait 6-8 months for the update.

R0H!T

Adept
Jun 28, 2008
Pune
I simply love the email client on WP7. The facebook app is very convenient and the social integration is amazing.

Email client on WP7 is THE BEST! This is a major reason I have not replaced my Focus with any other handset till now.

#RS4

As far as the rumours go, Tango seems to be pretty big update. Skype, Google+ integration (which in turn means GTalk integration) Link

If that happens, WP will have THE BEST social integration in the market
<

prajith

Disciple
May 3, 2008
Seriously what are you talking about?

UI:

WP7 has the best UI so much so that Android has WP7 themes and I have seen many people sporting it.

WP7 metro UI is going to be the UI in Windows 8 as well.

Its not just UI it's an entire philosophy of around simplicity and ease of use at the same time consuming minimal time.

In this age where smartphones are trying to mimic each other, WP7 is the only refreshing and unique experience.

Multitasking:

WP7 has multitasking! You are not on the mango update i guess. If you are, then try long press of the back button and see what it does.

Maps:

Nokia maps is much better than google maps. But still why argue, download gmaps and use it. It's exactly google maps. Just not from google.

Just yesterday I was frustrated because I can't use Whats App properly due to the fact that WP7 does not support multitasking and background apps. Just reinforces my earlier point, if you are ready to compromise on the user experience to some extent then WP7 is a good platform to own.

I like my WP7 phone a lot but not a week passes by when I wonder whether I should jump back to Android.

Then you have not used it extensively. It does not cache the maps from last use. Even if I switch to other apps and open gmaps again, it has to download from scratch.

The implementation of Latitude is patchy at best. It is not as user friendly or as google maps. Not to mention the lack of multitasking which makes this functionality useless for practical purpose.

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Dec 31, 2004
Pune
Seriously what are you talking about?

UI:

WP7 has the best UI so much so that Android has WP7 themes and I have seen many people sporting it.

WP7 metro UI is going to be the UI in Windows 8 as well.

Its not just UI it's an entire philosophy of around simplicity and ease of use at the same time consuming minimal time.

In this age where smartphones are trying to mimic each other, WP7 is the only refreshing and unique experience.

Multitasking:

WP7 has multitasking! You are not on the mango update i guess. If you are, then try long press of the back button and see what it does.

Maps:

Nokia maps is much better than google maps. But still why argue, download gmaps and use it. It's exactly google maps. Just not from google.

All I have to say to you is ->
<

I never said anything about the UI, so don't know what the whole paragraph is about.

As for multitasking, since you are guessing let me also play the guess game - I guess you seriously don't know what multitasking is and have probably never used Android. The back button just takes you back. A long press can just show you how back you want to go. I don't want to go back, I want the applications to run in the background so that they carry out the activities and I can resume them. So much for mutlitasking
<

Now please don't get me started on maps again. I don't want to use any other map application, I want to use google maps and I want to use latitude. gmaps is not exactly google maps just like a chinese iPhone is not exaclty an iPhone. Not even if you add the tagline "Just not from Apple" at the end of it. But someone who doesn't even know basic concepts like multitasking will not be able to spot the difference between two apps or two phones.

You are satisfied with the compromised experience then good for you, I am not.

RS4

Skilled
May 16, 2010
India
Email client on WP7 is THE BEST! This is a major reason I have not replaced my Focus with any other handset till now.

#RS4

As far as the rumours go, Tango seems to be pretty big update. Skype, Google+ integration (which in turn means GTalk integration) Link

If that happens, WP will have THE BEST social integration in the market
<

Its just a rumor, check that link, the article was updated after the readers pointed out flaws in that screenshot, check out the comment section of that article
<

dhruvrock2000

ex-Mod
May 4, 2009
New Delhi
All I have to say to you is ->
<

I never said anything about the UI, so don't know what the whole paragraph is about.

As for multitasking, since you are guessing let me also play the guess game - I guess you seriously don't know what multitasking is and have probably never used Android. The back button just takes you back. A long press can just show you how back you want to go. I don't want to go back, I want the applications to run in the background so that they carry out the activities and I can resume them. So much for mutlitasking
<

Now please don't get me started on maps again. I don't want to use any other map application, I want to use google maps and I want to use latitude. gmaps is not exactly google maps just like a chinese iPhone is not exaclty an iPhone. Not even if you add the tagline "Just not from Apple" at the end of it. But someone who doesn't even know basic concepts like multitasking will not be able to spot the difference between two apps or two phones.

You are satisfied with the compromised experience then good for you, I am not.

WP7 does let set stuff run in the background. I always have Google Latitude running , streaming music and stuff. Its not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be. And i'm using a Note , Lumia 800 , N9 alongside so can't really be biased here
<

rajan1311

Adept
Oct 3, 2009
hubpages.com
nokia will release another budget W7 phone soon...lumia 6xx ...

anyways, i am a W7 user (lumia 710) loving it... only thing i dont like is no flash support and relatively expensive apps..

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Dec 31, 2004
Pune
WP7 does let set stuff run in the background. I always have Google Latitude running , streaming music and stuff. Its not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be. And i'm using a Note , Lumia 800 , N9 alongside so can't really be biased here
<
I also have an Android and the WP7 sitting alongside and I am just quoting my experience without exaggerating anything. I already said that playing music is probably the only thing it does simultaneously.

Can you tell me how do you always have latitude running? For me it only works when I launch the gmaps app and only then it tries to connect to latitude. Sometimes it doesnt even connect or load the map but that is more due to the GPRS connectivity. Its a different matter that I do not face this GPRS issue on an Android. If you are talking about receiving the latitude notification then it works for me too when I am connected to the home WIFi. But it still does not send my location update to others until I launch the app and it connects to Latitude.

Let me quote another example. When you get a Whats App notification when the app is not running (wow multitasking enabled) and you try to see that message, it takes the app a couple of seconds to launch first then it takes the message a second or so to appear in the conversation. I think someone else also mentioned that native apps run smooth but other third party apps take a few seconds (longer than Android) to open up or even resume when you hit the "multitasking enabled" back button.

It would have been fine for me had I not been exposed to an Android before. That is another reason I say that WP7 is a great first smartphone for anyone (better than Android).

Anyway all that aside, had I not been impressed by Windows Phone OS for its several functionalities I would have ditched it long back considering that I am getting a better experience elsewhere. I am merely listing down the improvement areas which will make me stick to this platform for a long time and recommend it to anyone I meet.

dhruvrock2000

ex-Mod
May 4, 2009
New Delhi
#Renegade Gmaps Pro pings latitude for me. Haven't had any issues with that. WhatsApp is terribly buggy on WP7. What phone are you using ? It was barely usable on my 1st Gen Optimus 7 but is pretty good on my Lumia 800.

Agreed , both platforms have their pros and cons. No clear decisive winner between the two but in day to day use i prefer WP7. Lets me get stuff done faster.. Just my opinion though.

djmykey

Skilled
Mar 16, 2005
WP7 for the nubs... you cannot go wrong with the WP7. It does not allow you to tinker around and mess stuff..

Android for the tinkernuts.. who have to mod the life out their phones. If you don't know what you are doing on don't buy.

Simple as that !!