Total War: Shogun 2 - Discussion Thread

I already have a STEAM ID Sire, ALPHA17I.

Thanks for the help, but I do not have a fast enough internet connection to download the 21GB setup, otherwise I would have requested my father to purchase the same for me. OR is it that when I want to setup the game, I do not have to download the 21GB [installer], I just need STEAM updates? because as I mentioned it takes ages to download and install the damn thing.

Cheers!! and thanks for the help.

Thanks prettt, but as I said downloading 21GB of data on a MTNL connection is not my cup of tea and also I prefer the physical discs, so just might wait it out for the Total War: Shogun 2 GOTY pack to release.

Just get the retail disc which installs the whole game and then you have to install only the latest patches from steam to play.

Thanks a lot man
<
.. but when i played as shimazu i got around 13 provinces(including some small ones) before time expired.. unfortuately for me i had to attack hojo after that and he was holding more than me including kyoto.. two mighty empires facing off
<
bloody fellow could not be beaten.. my main gripe was my naval fleet.. i was so much into consolidating my army, my navy was just bare minimum.. unable to match hojos'.. i kept loosing armies at sea
<
As you said naval battles here are much better off, and i am used to the AI played ones in Rome.. next time i played as chosokabe and i could get 8 provinces before i got pissed off by the game... every time i attacked and gained a new province i lost an old one.. i had people landing on my HQ
<
every 5 minutes.. i had to bring armies back to fend them off and i would loose new provinces i captured.. finally i had to form so many alliances that my economy was being drained to zero, and i had to fight with alies, that made my honour go down.. all over a big disaster!!!

I feel the trick with building up a navy is to start the naval battles early on. The other navies haven't advanced technologically at this point and the other clans dont get time to build huge naval fleets. The best thing about naval battles is that you can capture enemy ships and build your flleet like that. I think i must have built only 5-10 medium bunes and bow koboyas totally in my port. All others are captures from enemies. I think I have a fleet of around 50-60 ships. Capture the ships and repair them at your port. Also, never use autoresolve for a naval battle. I feel the autoresolve is completely screwed up for naval battles. Even if I attack with a fleet of 10 ships and the enemy has only 1-2 ships, if you choose autoresolve you will lose at least one of your own ships.

The big advantage of having a powerful navy and playing a southern clan like Shimazu is that, you virtually have complete monopoly over the trade posts as most of the trade posts are to the south.

Also, to increase trade income, I used to attack a clan, defeat them in a couple of battles, then offer them peace in return for a trade agreement and sometimes some cash.

Another aspect I absolutely love is using my ninja to assassinate enemy daimyos or generals and sometimes sabotaging an enemy army until I can get all my forces around it. For me, autoresolve works very well in case of land battles, especially capturing castles. If I play manually, I always end up losing much more units.

BTW, huge 5GB patch hit Shogun 2 yesterday. Lots of fixes and 40 unit vs 40 unit multiplayer battles!! Do you play multiplayer? I'm way too scared to play multiplayer since I know I will get my ass handed to me.
<

Oh crap are you serious, 21GB set-up + 5GB patches. Seriously I cannot download these patches on a MTNL Tri-Band connection.

Hey guys anyone who hasnt bought Shogun 2 yet and is interested in a DIGITAL copy of it: Impulse/GameStop are having a "Buy FoTS and get Shogun 2 FREE" offer. Since these are both steamworks titles, we should get 2 separate steam keys which we can go and register on steam.

I am asking because I already have Shogun 2 and am really interested in getting FoTS. If anyone is interested, we can this pack for Rs 1.5K, and split the cost (Rs. 750 each). I get to keep FoTS and the other person can take Shogun 2. Both FotS and Shogun 2 cost Rs. 1K in retail here in India. Offer is open till April 4th. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Good discount is going on guys. I played but never finished Age of empires though I like the game. I am thinking of trying a good RTS is this game really that good. please suggest.

I spent a lot of time on this game...like close to 300-350 hours and I must say its one of the best RTS games I have played. Go for it.

Wait till you gain enough fame (or rather infamy) that suddenly everyone decides to dick you over Kyoto's insecurities.

^^I am unable to complete the advanced combat tutorial where you are given hero units & ninjas need to scale the walls. How to get hold of the fortress? My armies climb the walls only to be ambushed by the enemies.

You will have to disperse the enemies. Ideally try to take a gate before the enemy.

Send Katana units to fight against Yari and provide cover with any Bow units that you have on hand.

Ninja's should ideally start camouflaged and close before they take a gate as far from the focal point where your other units are committed.

Here is a handy tutorial just in-case,

Last edited:
^^Video is not working. BTW ninja & hero units are useless. In one try I had send ninjas to the far end of the fortress where there were no enemies. But all of them got killed by tower archers.

Last edited:
Back