Total War: Shogun 2 - Discussion Thread

In real time u have the option of sneaking in a stealth attack during a front attack. Controlling ur economy while in the front of attack. There is no pause for u to think or time for u to act. U wait one sec and u might lose ur economy / army. That is the urgency i am talking about. The "micro" management is actually controlling all that at a time and planning you next move. Might be one of the reasons Starcraft is more famous than turn based games. I dont say these games are bad. I have seen a friend play Civ. Loved it - really amazing game. But was not for my playstyle.

#ALPHA17 dude if i continued listing all the details the review would extend to 14 pages
<

but i have to argue that micromanagement is overdone in shogun 2. try to play as one of the clans on another island other than the primary objective kyoto.. then you will see how much of a hindrance it is.. the max i could occupy was 12 provinces.. although not my best effort it gets quite tedious.. that is why empire earth got monotonous..

#ALPHA17 dude if i continued listing all the details the review would extend to 14 pages
<

but i have to argue that micromanagement is overdone in shogun 2. try to play as one of the clans on another island other than the primary objective kyoto.. then you will see how much of a hindrance it is.. the max i could occupy was 12 provinces.. although not my best effort it gets quite tedious.. that is why empire earth got monotonous..

I think you mean Empire: Total War.

Also I agree the navy battles are very quirky and the unit AI is worse than a schizophrenic rabid dog, attack and the unit starts running away to put some range [for no apparent reason]. Also if you try micromanaging a navy ballet, watch your ships take broadside after broadside while you can do squat to the opponent. This makes using the transport function very risky as well as is a tactical quagmire. I think I will have to invest more time with this. Cheers!!

P.S. -- on a side note I need a favour. There is a member #rakesh_ic he wants a tube of TuniQ TX-2, can you help. He is based in Hyderabad.

the unit AI is worse than a schizophrenic rabid dog, attack and the unit starts running away to put some range [for no apparent reason].

Check if you have 'skirmish mode' enabled for these units. Some units like Bow Ashigaru have Skirmish mode setting. They will run away when attacked in melee and regroup at a safe distance.

Regarding the naval battles, what difficulty are you playing at or are you talking about multiplayer? I play at the normal difficulty(Singleplayer only) and find that the naval battles are way too easy. I invariably end up capturing 60-70% of the enemy ships in almost every battle. So much so that now I'm thinking of scuppering some fleets since they have become such a huge drain on the revenue.

Check if you have 'skirmish mode' enabled for these units. Some units like Bow Ashigaru have Skirmish mode setting. They will run away when attacked in melee and regroup at a safe distance.
Haven't played Shogun 2 friend, I am talking about the amazing Empire: Total War that to specifically the Sea battles.

Regarding the naval battles, what difficulty are you playing at or are you talking about multiplayer? I play at the normal difficulty(Singleplayer only) and find that the naval battles are way too easy. I invariably end up capturing 60-70% of the enemy ships in almost every battle. So much so that now I'm thinking of scuppering some fleets since they have become such a huge drain on the revenue.
I cannot dream of doing that in Empire even if am playing at Easy vs. the CPU. Let us see if Fall of the Samurai, proves to be different.

Especially liked the Torpedo boat unit, sweet range to cripple armored ships from a distance.

the AI is flawed.. morale is too fickle.. even with improved ashigaru(other units are too expensive to maintain in bulk) one shot and they flee..man seriously holding islands is a pain..

oh..ok.. sry dude, I just assumed you were talking about Shogun 2. BTW, I also played Empire: Total War but only the American Independence campaign. That was what made me a fan of Total War series. I would recommend you get Shogun 2, a lot of stuff is improved from Empire.

the AI is flawed.. morale is too fickle.. even with improved ashigaru(other units are too expensive to maintain in bulk) one shot and they flee..man seriously holding islands is a pain..

Edit:

Just saw that you were the one who wrote the amazing review on Shogun 2 over at E. Well, you obviously know more about the game than me
<
, but I was just having some trouble trying to understand the source of your complaint.

Which clan are you playing as? I am/was playing as Shimazu and they start from the southernmost island's southernmost tip. When I stopped playing I had reached the territory next to Kyoto and was controlling 14 territories in all. I only stopped playing because of ME3 and will get back to Shogun 2 as soon I'm done with ME3. But, I'm having trouble figuring out why you say that holding islands is a pain. What exactly is the problem? Are having trouble generating enough revenue?

Shogun 2 on sale in Steam today at 75% less.

Thanks for the heads-up Sire.

oh..ok.. sry dude, I just assumed you were talking about Shogun 2. BTW, I also played Empire: Total War but only the American Independence campaign. That was what made me a fan of Total War series. I would recommend you get Shogun 2, a lot of stuff is improved from Empire.

Preordered Fall of the Samurai from flipkart.com, will get TOTAL WAR: Shogun 2 once its Game of the year edition releases, as I dislike paying extra for incremental DLC packs, thank god The Witcher 2 is not like that.

Any idea why preorder prices of fall of samurai have gone upto RS 999? It used to be about 700.

Do not know the details but my order [placed on 11[sup]th[/sup] March], still reads the CoD is 699/-.

I think it might be a pre-order ploy, will inquire with the flipkart.com call centre chaps about the deal and post back.

Shogun 2 on sale in Steam today at 75% less.

How do we order on STEAM, is it a direct credit card based transaction?

Please guide this n00b on online STEAM purchases. Thank you.

Create an account in Steam, it's free. Login using that account and add the game to your cart. Check out the game using your Credit Card and the game gets instantly added to your Steam library. Simplicity itself.

Any idea why preorder prices of fall of samurai have gone upto RS 999? It used to be about 700.

THIS. Goddamnit!! As amazing as Flipkart is, they have this really stupid habit of suddenly hiking prices!! They did the same thing LANoire and now with this. At least they could have mentioned that the 699 price was a limited time offer! Now, it makes sense to wait for the Steam summer sale instead.

@#[member='ALPHA17'], you could've got Shogun 2 + all DLCs for $12(or was it $15?) during the Christmas sale. I bought just few days before that during the Thanksgiving sale for $18. It included ALL DLCs except off course FoTS.

Create an account in Steam, it's free. Login using that account and add the game to your cart. Check out the game using your Credit Card and the game gets instantly added to your Steam library. Simplicity itself.

@#[member='ALPHA17']: Also, since FoTS is also a steamworks title, you will have to create a Steam id anyway. So, just keep an eye on steam for a nice discount on Shogun 2.

I already have a STEAM ID Sire, ALPHA17I.

Thanks for the help, but I do not have a fast enough internet connection to download the 21GB setup, otherwise I would have requested my father to purchase the same for me. OR is it that when I want to setup the game, I do not have to download the 21GB [installer], I just need STEAM updates? because as I mentioned it takes ages to download and install the damn thing.

Cheers!! and thanks for the help.

@#[member='ALPHA17']: Also, since FoTS is also a steamworks title, you will have to create a Steam id anyway. So, just keep an eye on steam for a nice discount on Shogun 2.

Thanks prettt, but as I said downloading 21GB of data on a MTNL connection is not my cup of tea and also I prefer the physical discs, so just might wait it out for the Total War: Shogun 2 GOTY pack to release.

I already have a STEAM ID Sire, ALPHA17I.

Thanks for the help, but I do not have a fast enough internet connection to download the 21GB setup, otherwise I would have requested my father to purchase the same for me. OR is it that when I want to setup the game, I do not have to download the 21GB [installer], I just need STEAM updates? because as I mentioned it takes ages to download and install the damn thing.

Cheers!! and thanks for the help.

Thanks prettt, but as I said downloading 21GB of data on a MTNL connection is not my cup of tea and also I prefer the physical discs, so just might wait it out for the Total War: Shogun 2 GOTY pack to release.

I think u can instead buy the retail disk. I am sure u can get the updates through steam if the game is added there.

Though not sure.. wait for others to comment on this

Edit:

Just saw that you were the one who wrote the amazing review on Shogun 2 over at E. Well, you obviously know more about the game than me
<
, but I was just having some trouble trying to understand the source of your complaint.

Which clan are you playing as? I am/was playing as Shimazu and they start from the southernmost island's southernmost tip. When I stopped playing I had reached the territory next to Kyoto and was controlling 14 territories in all. I only stopped playing because of ME3 and will get back to Shogun 2 as soon I'm done with ME3. But, I'm having trouble figuring out why you say that holding islands is a pain. What exactly is the problem? Are having trouble generating enough revenue?

Thanks a lot man
<
.. but when i played as shimazu i got around 13 provinces(including some small ones) before time expired.. unfortuately for me i had to attack hojo after that and he was holding more than me including kyoto.. two mighty empires facing off
<
bloody fellow could not be beaten.. my main gripe was my naval fleet.. i was so much into consolidating my army, my navy was just bare minimum.. unable to match hojos'.. i kept loosing armies at sea
<
As you said naval battles here are much better off, and i am used to the AI played ones in Rome.. next time i played as chosokabe and i could get 8 provinces before i got pissed off by the game... every time i attacked and gained a new province i lost an old one.. i had people landing on my HQ
<
every 5 minutes.. i had to bring armies back to fend them off and i would loose new provinces i captured.. finally i had to form so many alliances that my economy was being drained to zero, and i had to fight with alies, that made my honour go down.. all over a big disaster!!!

#[font=arial, sans-serif][/font][font=arial, sans-serif]ALPHA17[/font]

If you want to try something hard play as shimazu on normal..
<

How can the time run out?Choose the dominate option and you will get 55 years.I played using 6 clans and captured or enslaved all of japan.For sea dominance use nanban ships.

Back