Troubling trend of e-waste due to non repairable devices

With right to repair, customers will make less purchases. With higher prices, the demand for new products will be less.
In each scenario, the company takes a major hit in revenues.
If its the case, companies will have to do what AMD did with every processor series in Ryzens - improvement in terms of fabrication, performance or even what Apple does it in innovation - those are looking for that stuff, they will definitely buy it - for example - Creative folks/Devs/Gamers all need better systems and in order to keep up, they continue upgrading - I doubt any of the ppl who falls under this bracket will go for repair.

PS: Gamers - I meant like ppl upgrade from 1080p to above in order to enjoy their gaming experience.

On the contrary - Companies can still introduce the right to repair with authorized companies/agencies getting into it and ppl who had that hardware will repair it or repurpose it. This can also push the penetration of latest tech to the larger mass - imagine what apple does it with its returned/serviced products and resell them under refurbished with warranty. We can also assume scenario where Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities population getting these items at affordable rate.

We always have options and these big companies can always make the money they're making

On the contrary - Companies can still introduce the right to repair with authorized companies/agencies getting into it and ppl who had that hardware will repair it or repurpose it. This can also push the penetration of latest tech to the larger mass - imagine what apple does it with its returned/serviced products and resell them under refurbished with warranty. We can also assume scenario where Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities population getting these items at affordable rate.
Out of all the other options, I feel this is the most viable idea right now.

I'd absolutely love if Apple can bring their 2nd-hand market of product selling business in India. It's very popular overseas and I feel this is the best way to sell new products and while also offer good quality refurbished ones. More companies should do this refurbished thing officially!

I disagree.

With right to repair, customers will make less purchases. With higher prices, the demand for new products will be less.
In each scenario, the company takes a major hit in revenues.

And if the company doesn't make enough moolah, how can it invest in better R&D procedures?

Very ludicrous argument. You do know that there is something called competition?
If its the case, companies will have to do what AMD did with every processor series in Ryzens - improvement in terms of fabrication, performance or even what Apple does it in innovation - those are looking for that stuff, they will definitely buy it - for example - Creative folks/Devs/Gamers all need better systems and in order to keep up, they continue upgrading - I doubt any of the ppl who falls under this bracket will go for repair.

PS: Gamers - I meant like ppl upgrade from 1080p to above in order to enjoy their gaming experience.

We always have options and these big companies can always make the money they're making

I only see companies without competition sitting idle, else each one wants to take the crown and come with new stuff. Newer software is a bit more demanding as well.

The issue with authorized thingy - companies will look at it diluting their revenue stream. Apple makes the repair program difficult, Samsung screwed it up. All in the name of protecting you from refurbs and what not!

Another thing they can look at is improved financing, like Samsung has some tie up with Flipkart 70% upfront and rest after a year. But I don't see many takers for it. Another option is to look at the leasing thing like Apple does with carriers.

Last edited:
Very ludicrous argument. You do know that there is something called competition?
Well, there won't be any competition when consumers won't be compelled to buy the latest & greatest. Only the strongest with the most resources will survive.

Back in the day, India had flagships from so many different manufacturers, each having their own USPs - HTC, Google (Nexus & Pixel), LG, Sony, Apple and Samsung.
Now, we only have two options - Apple & Samsung. It's a duopoly now.

Phones with good repairability costs money to make. How will they compete with a company that sells a cheaper, better product, but with worse repairability?

I mean look at Fairphone. The company makes phones that scores 10/10 on iFixit repairs, but costs 439 Euros. The hardware is crap. You can get a much better Pixel 4A or iPhone SE 2020 for much lesser than that.

The reality is very different from what you're expecting it to be.

Phones with good repairability costs money to make. How will they compete with a company that sells a cheaper, better product, but with worse repairability?

I mean look at Fairphone. The company makes phones that scores 10/10 on iFixit repairs, but costs 439 Euros. The hardware is crap. You can get a much better Pixel 4A or iPhone SE 2020 for much lesser than that.

The reality is very different from what you're expecting it to be.
i don’t agree on this for the cell phone Or automobiles. Manufacturers like Samsung and apple are intentionally designing products with poor repairsbility. Not to reduce costs but to increase the cost of spares and charging closer to a new product or 60-70% of new product cost making it not feasible to repair and complelled to buy a new product.

i recently went to get a quote for repairing iPhone 12 back glass. It was small crack on the bottom of the glass. Apple authorised service centre quoted me 40k as they have to replace everything gin the phone except display and camera modules. Even IMEI would get changed. What the hell!!!.

It was small crack on the bottom of the glass. Apple authorised service centre quoted me 40k as they have to replace everything
Haha that's so ludicrous and can't be more blatant money grabbing practice

It is so surprising to still see folks arguing that oh but without this 40k for a small crack repair , how will the meagre billionaire trillionaire companies keep up their R&D. Logic that!

i don’t agree on this for the cell phone Or automobiles. Manufacturers like Samsung and apple are intentionally designing products with poor repairsbility. Not to reduce costs but to increase the cost of spares and charging closer to a new product or 60-70% of new product cost making it not feasible to repair and complelled to buy a new product.

i recently went to get a quote for repairing iPhone 12 back glass. It was small crack on the bottom of the glass. Apple authorised service centre quoted me 40k as they have to replace everything gin the phone except display and camera modules. Even IMEI would get changed. What the hell!!!.
Yup, the back glass is extremely difficult to replace. Cheaper and easier to get a whole new shell.
I do use quite a lot of apple products, but I hate Apple's practice of deliberately designing, engineering and manufacturing their devices in such an anti easy-to-repair way.

Wtf has glass panel got to do with IMEI!! This is totally outlandish.
They replace entire device except display and camera which means the SOC is also getting replaced and hence the IMEI change. Total BS what apple does.. the store person suggested if the device was recently bought and within 60 days of activation, i can get Apple care plan for 18k and pay 9.5k more to get it replaced under Apple care plan. Still the cost of repair comes to around 30k excluding taxes.
Yup, the back glass is extremely difficult to replace. Cheaper and easier to get a whole new shell.
I do use quite a lot of apple products, but I hate Apple's practice of deliberately designing, engineering and manufacturing their devices in such an anti easy-to-repair way.
Yes. Good innovation should result in less complex methods and improvements in repairability. But these tech companies are doing the opposite. Same goes for automobiles. Manufacturers are moudling components prone to wear and tear or frequent failures to other complex components and milking customers by replacing the entire assembly even though only one component in the assembly needs repair or replacement.

Last edited:
They replace entire device except display and camera which means the SOC is also getting replaced and hence the IMEI change. Total BS what apple does.. the store person suggested if the device was recently bought and within 60 days of activation, i can get Apple care plan for 18k and pay 9.5k more to get it replaced under Apple care plan. Still the cost of repair comes to around 30k excluding taxes.

Yes. Good innovation should result in less complex methods and improvements in repairability. But these tech companies are doing the opposite. Same goes for automobiles. Manufacturers are moudling components prone to wear and tear or frequent failures to other complex components and milking customers by replacing the entire assembly even though only one component in the assembly needs repair or replacement.
Its with everyone. The assembly is such that even if you were to change the camera module, surrounding volume/power keys also get changed or say have to be changed no matter even if they are working flawless!
Should always insist them for a detailed invoice with replaced/repaired parts technical sheet to actually have a look if they really changed those or just charging you fake!

Gone is the decade of soldering parts etc. when in the good old Nokia days even a single speaker used to get replaced without replacing the assembly or motherboard. I even used to got volume keys replaced without touching the other hardware.

While I have always liked Apple for its iOS, tactics like these keep me at arm's length from buying any of their products.
While we get it they are after profits, but ripping of customers in the name of repairs is just wrong.
God forbid, if an iPhone is in the hands of a baby!!

Why are we just singling only Apple out

The same is true for Samsung flagships as well as for Pixels - at least for some.

Our obsession with thin is killing this.

NZXT also has a weird RMA process, I have a feeling they have a decent volume of sales in India, instead of partnering up with a local firm, they just ask you to cut open your AIO and you have basically 0 places to discard it safely anywhere.

Why are we just singling only Apple out

The same is true for Samsung flagships as well as for Pixels - at least for some.

Our obsession with thin is killing this.
Yeah. But it was more or less Apple that specialized in it and now other manufacturers are also following the suit as it generates higher profits. While we as consumers are also equally responsible as most of the people like slimmer devices. It's just these tech forums where we find ourselves discussing about the topics such as planned obsolescence, low repairability etc. But we form a small portion. Look these days how Apple is able to get away by soldering the SSD to the board in newer M1 laptops. Because there are not enough people who care.

While I have always liked Apple for its iOS, tactics like these keep me at arm's length from buying any of their products.
While we get it they are after profits, but ripping of customers in the name of repairs is just wrong.
God forbid, if an iPhone is in the hands of a baby!!
On computers front, I too love how efficient the Apple M1 devices are, but the inability to upgrade RAM, soldered storage, locked bootloader, costly repairs etc. keep me away from getting these otherwise great devices.

For soldered crap these days, I'm against it then be it ram, storage or anything upcoming.
In the end you have to only run behind these brands for getting such soldered shit repaired. And if out of warranty then bear the headache of paying more to get such stuff repaired or even serviced.
Thus you get directly/indirectly binded to that brand forcefully and have to bear the after service pain.

You have no flexibility options to get the stuff repaired outside foolproof as it all involves circuitry chip level manifestation.

And people opting for such crap are those class who dont think about these issues and just want something like buy and forget and then later dump or keep crying and regret their purchases..

So if demand ceases for these stuff then co. might limit or banish such products.

Yeah. But it was more or less Apple that specialized in it and now other manufacturers are also following the suit as it generates higher profits. While we as consumers are also equally responsible as most of the people like slimmer devices. It's just these tech forums where we find ourselves discussing about the topics such as planned obsolescence, low repairability etc. But we form a small portion. Look these days how Apple is able to get away by soldering the SSD to the board in newer M1 laptops. Because there are not enough people who care.

On computers front, I too love how efficient the Apple M1 devices are, but the inability to upgrade RAM, soldered storage, locked bootloader, costly repairs etc. keep me away from getting these otherwise great devices.

Yeah, people just dont care.

On a side note, we just got the first M1 mac in office yesterday and there will be some more, including the newer iPads. It really flies compared to the 2017 MBPs. Intel really f***ed up

Back