Linux Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Discussion Thread

Mine screenie:

Screenshot.png

Have used cairo dock, pretty amazing.

prakashan said:
My DVD Drive is not working :( .Need to Do a Network install(after a week) .Is there any minimal iso available for Lucid?
Also ,anyone installed from booting into from GRUB2?

regards

If you need help try this: linuxtechie on the net!: Installing Ubuntu without functioning CDROM, Bootable USB Bios

Gtalk with me and I will assist you further.
+LT

Dark Star said:
I am using Rythmbox ;) Don't wanna use mono based s.w

lol !
anyways Rhythmbox has native support for Ipod touch another reason not to boot into windows!!
I needed windows to sync the songs to my ipod but now that is also solved :clap:

Dark Star said:

Gotta play with conky now :)

Hey how you did that??

I'm a linux noob, have no idea about all these.

I want to know the application behind the date system shown on your wallpaper and the dock.

krishnandu said:
Hey how you did that??

I want to know the application behind the date system shown on your wallpaper and the dock.

Me too wanna know this. Also does that date which is on the wallpaper changes everyday, or is that a custom made wallpaper ? How do you do that.

krishnandu said:
Hey how you did that??

saqib_khan said:
Me too wanna know this. Also does that date which is on the wallpaper changes everyday, or is that a custom made wallpaper ? How do you do that.

Its Wallpaper clock widget from Screenlets. Inaddtion to some gorgeous wallpaper clock from Valdstudio. Just download the wallpaper clock package and install it using wallpaper clock plugin in Screenlets.

Wallpapers Clocks Gallery | Vladstudio.com - free desktop wallpapers, widescreen, dual monitors, iPhone wallpapers, iPad wallpapers, backgrounds for mobile phones, wallpaper clocks, e-cards

Code:
sudo apt-get install screenlets

delhiboy1000 said:
im running it off a USB HDD . is there any way to install on it ? & any perfrmnc benefit if i do so?

Install like you would on a normal hard disk, just choose your USB hdd partition.

On the last step where it shows a summary of what you have selected, there is an advance option at the bottom. Go to advance options and set Grub to install on the USB hdd.

You can boot up on any PC this way. There will obviously be a slight performance decrease since it would run on USB, but you can easily use it as a normal OS.

@Dark Star Hey thanks a lot.....!! I've done it...!! :)

Well.....I'm facing problem with TweetDeck. I couldn't find it in Applications>Accessories.

I tried reinstalling. But for the first time it works fine. But after restart it vanishes from the menu. I need to start it from website by clicking "Lauch Tweetdeck". Can anyone solve this problem...??

Another problem is with Empathy IM Client. It doesn't autostart. Each time I need to enter keyring. How to make that automatic??

viralbug said:
Install like you would on a normal hard disk, just choose your USB hdd partition.
On the last step where it shows a summary of what you have selected, there is an advance option at the bottom. Go to advance options and set Grub to install on the USB hdd.

You can boot up on any PC this way. There will obviously be a slight performance decrease since it would run on USB, but you can easily use it as a normal OS.

Thanks Viralbug: i have win xp installed on this laptop. if i install ubuntu on the USB HDD, will Grub modify the windows bootloader in any way?

Basically, what i want is to boot this laptop into ubuntu whenever I want without leaving any trace of it otherwise..

Back