Linux Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Discussion Thread

social said:
The size of the restricted extras is around 82mb... Should take you a day or two:)

Not exactly. Using Airtel GPRS (Rs.98 pack) now.
For most purposes, it is no better than Dial-Up, but today, in the morning, I got speeds between 24-30kB/s. So it would not take that long. Most probably 1-2hours.

But before that, will have to find a way to connect to net using mobile on Ubuntu. Dont have any idea how to do that.

P.S: Downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 totally on this connection yesterday in around 14hours :-D

What should I say ? hm... It just blew my mind :D The one release that I going to stick with, I don't want to say buy after 7.04 Feisty this is the only release that I liked ;) Or is it too early to make a statement :p ?

Gaurish said:
you can use wvdial(cli) or Mobile broadband option(GUI)

I used Bluetooth to connect my mobile to my laptop.
I used Mobile Broadband option to create the dialing connection and chose Connect Automatically.

But for some reason, my mobile is always listed as disconnected under Network Manager even though Bluetooth is on. When I am accessing the contents of the phone through the Bluetooth menu, the files can be accessed. So the bluetooth connection is ok. But for some reason, the Network Manager cannot connect to the mobile for creating the net connection.
Everytime I select my mobile from the Network Connections list, it connects to my mobile for a split second and then says "Network Disconnected: You are now offline"

Does anyone know if I can get my mobile(Nokia 5130XM) to get detected as a modem if I connect it via data cable. Are cable drivers available for Linux?

hotshot05 said:
I used Bluetooth to connect my mobile to my laptop.
I used Mobile Broadband option to create the dialing connection and chose Connect Automatically.

But for some reason, my mobile is always listed as disconnected under Network Manager even though Bluetooth is on. When I am accessing the contents of the phone through the Bluetooth menu, the files can be accessed. So the bluetooth connection is ok. But for some reason, the Network Manager cannot connect to the mobile for creating the net connection.
Everytime I select my mobile from the Network Connections list, it connects to my mobile for a split second and then says "Network Disconnected: You are now offline"

Does anyone know if I can get my mobile(Nokia 5130XM) to get detected as a modem if I connect it via data cable. Are cable drivers available for Linux?
If Network manager isn't working.you can use wvdial to connect.I use the same to connect via data cable on my 5800.

Just 3steps, no drivers to install :D

Do the following. connect the phone in “PC Suite†mode and fire the terminal. type
1)
Code:
$ dmesg
if you phone is connected correctly, you should see similar messages at the end. if yes, then kernel already has drivers builtin and there is no need to install septate drivers

usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
cdc_acm 1-4:1.1: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
cdc_acm: v0.26:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
NET: Registered protocol family 35
cdc_phonet: probe of 1-4:1.10 failed with error -22
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_phonet
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
usbcore: registered new interface driver rndis_host
cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
usbcore: registered new interface driver rndis_wlan

if you see errors, then you will need to enable cdc-acm support in your kernel.recompile the kernel

2) Now, its time to generate a configuration file for your modem/phone using intelligent dialer wvdial

Code:
$  sudo wvdialconf

wvidial will try to find your modem, if it finds it, the output similar to this would be seen
Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 2400 baud, next try: 9600 baud
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- failed with 9600 baud, next try: 115200 baud
ttyS0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- and failed too at 115200, giving up.
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S1 S2 S3
WvModem<*1>: Cannot get information for serial port.
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- Nokia
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 230400: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Speed 460800: AT -- OK
ttyACM0<*1>: Max speed is 460800; that should be safe.
ttyACM0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK

Found an USB modem on /dev/ttyACM0.
/etc/wvdial.conf<Warn>: Can't open '/etc/wvdial.conf' for reading: No such file or directory
/etc/wvdial.conf<Warn>: ...starting with blank configuration.
Modem configuration written to /etc/wvdial.conf.
ttyACM0<Info>: Speed 460800; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"

3) so our configuration file has been written, now just need to tell 3 more things,
* phone number to dial --> Depends on your mobile phone operator
* login name / user id --> ask your operator, enter a if operator asks to leave blank
* password --> ask your operator, enter b if operator asks to leave blank

Simply Put these things in /etc/wvdial.conf

Now we can connect
Code:
sudo wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT*99#
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT*99#
CONNECT
~[7f]}#@!}!} } }2}#}$@#}!}$}%\}"}&} }*} } g}%~
--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
~[7f]}#@!}!} } }2}#}$@#}!}$}%\}"}&} }*} } g}%~
--> PPP negotiation detected.
--> Starting pppd at Wed May 3 00:31:57 2010
--> Pid of pppd: 11450
--> Using interface ppp0
--> pppd: ������ �[08]�
--> local IP address 172.27.179.154
--> remote IP address 10.6.6.6
--> primary DNS address 196.201.208.2
--> secondary DNS address 209.244.0.3

If you see this output you are connected to internet, congrats!
Enjoy Safe virus free internet:hap2:

Just wanna say that 10.04 fixed Wlan issue(frequent disconnects) and Nvidia GFX (desktop enhancement issues) for me !

Hoping to slowly phase out Win 7 from my life :) ..hehe

did anyone have issue with iso fo 64bit?

i downloaded 3 times from indian server but the OS does not load beyond the splash screen.

the log on sound comes, splash progress bar stops after all dots become red... the mouse is still responsive but no desktop yet.

pressed shutdown key...the interface changes to verbose and then i see some corrupt file system error..

can anyone who has downloaded 64bit iso from other servers confirm working condition?

@madnav: No such problem here, using 64 bit edition.

@thread: What's that very first initial image during boot-up when live cd is popped in...at the bottom of the screen ?

madnav said:
did anyone have issue with iso fo 64bit?

i downloaded 3 times from indian server but the OS does not load beyond the splash screen.

the log on sound comes, splash progress bar stops after all dots become red... the mouse is still responsive but no desktop yet.

pressed shutdown key...the interface changes to verbose and then i see some corrupt file system error..

can anyone who has downloaded 64bit iso from other servers confirm working condition?

How about check iso image for errors? and also test memory with memtest

link:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

My DVD Drive is not working :( .Need to Do a Network install(after a week) .Is there any minimal iso available for Lucid?

Also ,anyone installed from booting into from GRUB2?

regards

Gaurish said:
How about check iso image for errors? and also test memory with memtest

link:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Thanks for the link.

the checksum does not match.

will download again via torrents..

prakashan said:
My DVD Drive is not working :( .Need to Do a Network install(after a week) .Is there any minimal iso available for Lucid?

Also ,anyone installed from booting into from GRUB2?

regards

try this for booting many iso files from single usb..

you will need to rename the iso file to match grub entries... or edit grub entries..whichever that is preferable.. (as in.. amd64 ISOs may be renamed to i386 ISOs for the sake of simplicity in the pre-configured grub.

Did anyone try WUBI install of Lucid in Windows 7?

When I tried it, it installed correctly. When I rebooted into Ubuntu, it says "Finalising install".
Then only the wallpaper is shown and after 20sec, it says "Install Failed. Ubuntu will reboot now".

I tried to boot into Ubuntu 3-4 times and everytime I get this error.
Any idea what I am doing wrong?

P.S: When I am running live CD mode from USB, it runs fine.

I installed Wubi on Win 7 64 bit. However, I don't get the Linux option on reboot. It just doesn't seem to have done anything to the bootloader. What should I do? I installed Win 7 first and then Wubi.

Back