User Review Ultimate WATER PURIFIER Buying Guide.!

Hey guys...! I wanted to buy a Water Purifier recently... and call it a habit.. But I NEED to EXTENSIVLY research something before Buying. So.. I thought Let's share my research.

Most of us just drink RO Water without even knowing what we are drinking. In Most cases.. The RO Water we drink is just a tasteless liquid which has no health benefits at all but just a medium to quench our thirst.

This is a comprehensive Guide covering most of the aspects one should look at before Buying a Water Purifier. I Focused upon HEALTH instead of fancy Features.

First Confusion is always about.. What to Choose...eh..? I mean.. there are SEVERAL VARIANTS..! RO.. UV... UF... NF... Alkaline... Copper... and even their SEVERAL Combinations..!!!! :eek:o_O.

FIRST AND MOST IMPROTANT STEP :

If your TAP Water TDS is Below or around 200 mg/l --> UV + UF Combination.
If your TAP Water TDS is above 300 mg/l --> RO+UV+UF+ TDS Controller Combination. ( Set Water Output TDS above 150mg/l ).

If your TAP Water TDS is above 800 mg/l --> RO+UV+UF Combination.

Explanation.

1. Before Buying.. Always.. and I mean Always Check the TDS of you Tap Water. You can use any TDS metre available on Amazon ( around INR 250 ).

Now.. If your TDS is around or below 200 mg/l... YOU DO NOT NEED RO.. I REPEAT.. YOU DO NOT RO. Why.. ?? .... cause RO is a process that removes most of the ( Around 90% ) TOTAL DISSOLVED SOLIDS / SALTS ( TDS ) from your water and makes it slightly ACIDIC in nature. And as you know.. Human Blood is slightly Basic in nature and thus drinking acidic water on a regular basis increases acidic content in your body.. making your immunity slightly weaker. If you use RO in this case. Your Output Water will have a TDS around 20 to 50 AND PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY... PLEASE DO NOT DRINK ANY WATER WITH TDS BELOW 150 mg/l on a regular basis ( EXCEPT COCONUT WATER which has a surprisingly high TDS OF MORE THAN 1000 mg/l ) If you really care about your health. :). You can see this article. Also. do note that TDS around 300 mg/l is excellent for you health ( WHO Report ).

RO-water-chart.jpg

Now.. it's clear You DO NOT need RO if your water TDS is around 200 mg/l. Still.. It may contain some impurities as well as harmful bacteria. So.. You will need a UV ( for organic impurities ) + UF ( For inorganic impurities ) Combination in this case.

2. If your TDS is above 300 mg/l --> Go for a RO+ UV +UF + TDS Control Combination. Because.. even in this case.. RO will decrease your TDS to around 50 to 70 mg/l... BUT here.. You also HAVE A TDS CONTROLLER.
Now remember... A Water Purifier works on several steps. First Water passes through Several Filters.. then through RO Membrane.. Then through UF Membrane.. then UV.. and other membranes if any and finally in the Storage tank.

Here.. the TDS Controller bypass some of the water directly to UF Membrane instead of passing it through RO and then add that water into the output of RO Membrane... thus increasing TDS by adding original Salts present in the Tap Water. So.. your Output TDS will be whatever you desire below your Tap Water TDS. I recommend above 150 mg/l.

3. If your TDS is Way above 300 mg/l.. I mean like 800mg/l or above
.. you DO NOT NEED TDS Controller... as After RO Process.. your Output will be around 150 mg/l or above. So.. Go for a RO+UV+UF Combination.

NEXT STEP :

Electrical Type.. / Mechanical Type / Or a Combination of Both.

Answer is simple.. A combination of both BUT Please do note that some Electrical Water Purifier DO NOT allow Water Output when there is a power cut even if Water is present in the storage tank. So.. check before buying.

NEXT STEP :

Mounting Type... / Table Type / Undersink Type.

product-500x500.jpeg Undersink Type.

It really depends on your preference. Mounting Types are Wall Mounted.. Table Types are put on the table... and Undersink types are used in households having smaller kitchen or no space for wall mounting and table.

NEXT STEP :

Storage Tank Material:
More than 95% of the Water Purifiers use FOOD GRADE PLASTIC as a Water Storage Tank. But a few also use Stainless Steel. Some Water Purifiers that offer Hot Water Output have a combination of both Food Grade Plastic ( For Normal Water Tank ) and Stainless Steel ( For Hot Water tank ).... I would suggest to go for Stainless Steel. Still.. it's my personal opinion.. rest is your choice.

bepure-100-stainless-steel-tank-original-imafwc5npzqrmktq.jpeg
Stainless Steel Storage Tank Water Purifier.

NEXT STEP :

Alkaline Membrane
or Copper Membrane or Both.

This is also the most confusing part. Alkaline Membrane can be used if you are using RO... as it adds some basic salts in your RO Output Water increasing it's basicity as RO Water is slightly acidic in nature.
The Problem is there is no hard evidence that such water is really good for health. Some studies have shown that such water really helped many people to gain better health.. even removing joint pain... while other studies have shown no conclusive results. So.. it's your preference.

Now Copper Membrane is just a marketing gimmick. Don't go for it. Rest is your choice.

CRUCIAL STEP:

Sales After Service and Yearly Charge.
Many Companies like Kent or Pureit.. provide better service in some areas only. IN MY AREA.. KENT SERVICE is ABSOLUTLY pathetic. So.. please consult your neighbours or even online about the service of the company.
Also.. some Water Purifiers have an annual charge as high as 5K ( For Filters and Membranes ) while some has around ( 2K .. The minimum I Saw ). So.. check this beforehand.

That's it... follow these steps and gift yourself and your family a healthy Water Purifier. Again.. it's not a comprehensive guide.. as there are several features.. like Hot Water or Cold Water Output or fruit washer or Digital Display...and many more ... that today's Water Purifiers offer. And it's very important not to favour such fancy features over health. Please Prioritize You health.. and then your environment.

Finally.. Keeping all of the above in consideration.. I have decided to Go with BePure.
Now.. you must be thinking.. what's BePure..? Never heard of it...!???

Bepure is actually an Indian Startup providing Water Solutions. It has even won Silicon India Award and has many favourable reviews online.
So.. I am buying it's Bepure Alken Stainless Steel 12L ( RO + UV +UF + TDS + Alkaline ( Let's try it ) ) Model with an annual charge of around 2K. If anyone has used it.. Please write your experience. Thanks.

I will edit the Guide with Pictures later as I have been writing for over an hour now.:oops:.

Last edited:
How is the unit in general?

Also, why aren't they sending any servicemen?
In general it's very good gives about 8months for the GKK filter to be replaced and costs about 2.9k plus .3k service charges.

Our place is far away from the nearest town of chengalpattu. It's actually 22kms away.
Maybe that's why they aren't coming I am thinking.

If anybody can provide me link for GKK filter from Amazon I can arrange a local person to fit it in my purifier

Mum forgot to pull the water inlet lever of the overhead tank and switched on our Kent grand unit. I checked after one hour, the diaphragm was basically pulling air as there was no water in line. Now the diaphragm isn't working, making a faint sound instead of it's standard strong sound. Could this be repaired, or should I just get a a new one?
The one we were using is this: https://dl.flipkart.com/s/Cw17XONNNN

Mum forgot to pull the water inlet lever of the overhead tank and switched on our Kent grand unit. I checked after one hour, the diaphragm was basically pulling air as there was no water in line. Now the diaphragm isn't working, making a faint sound instead of it's standard strong sound. Could this be repaired, or should I just get a a new one?
The one we were using is this: https://dl.flipkart.com/s/Cw17XONNNN
That has been the problem with Kent technicians from day 1. All units come with a low pressure sensor at inlet to cater to this exact scenario, to safe guard pump in case of no supply at inlet.
They bypass the LPS during installation citing the inlet pressure at home is not high enough to override the LPS. They don't even test the inlet pressure before bypassing, as it would enable them to loot customers with part replacements in future.

Most likely the pump is gone, best to replace it with new one.
Even if you manage to get the pump repaired, the seals might have already been damaged due to the dry run, so it would eventually fail again at some point.
Might as well replace it as preventive maintenance and please attach the LPS wire at inlet to avoid such issues in future.

That has been the problem with Kent technicians from day 1. All units come with a low pressure sensor at inlet to cater to this exact scenario, to safe guard pump in case of no supply at inlet.
They bypass the LPS during installation citing the inlet pressure at home is not high enough to override the LPS. They don't even test the inlet pressure before bypassing, as it would enable them to loot customers with part replacements in future.

Most likely the pump is gone, best to replace it with new one.
Even if you manage to get the pump repaired, the seals might have already been damaged due to the dry run, so it would eventually fail again at some point.
Might as well replace it as preventive maintenance and please attach the LPS wire at inlet to avoid such issues in future.
Thank you. I really don't know all these technicals so they take advantage of us. Anyway, now I'll tell them about the LPS at inlet thing, but I'm sure they will misinform me and not do it.

Which pump should I get? I knew Pokar to be a good company, but I'm not sure about their present status. A link to the product would be really helpful.

Thank you. I really don't know all these technicals so they take advantage of us. Anyway, now I'll tell them about the LPS at inlet thing, but I'm sure they will misinform me and not do it.

Which pump should I get? I knew Pokar to be a good company, but I'm not sure about their present status. A link to the product would be really helpful.
Ah, we replaced Kent and moved to LG almost 8 yrs ago.
There used to be a brand/seller by the name of PSI, who used to sell good quality generic RO spares. Amazon is filled with several clones now.
I'd go with the cheapest one from a reliable seller.

I have this water purifier at home. Need to replace the filter, but company charges 1100 for replacing it.

Does someone know which filter will be compatible with this? I found this one on Amazon, is this compatible?

KONVIO NEER 10 Inch High Density Spun Pre-Filter (5 Micron PP Spun) Cartridge Compatible for 10 Inch Pre-Filter Housing of All Water Purifier https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08K36NZSV

Pureit by HUL Advanced Max 6 L Mineral RO + UV + MF + MP Water Purifier with Mineral Cartridge

The above purifiers GKK filter has been changed by the technician day before yesterday.
He changed everything in the purifier and I don't know what they are. He also changed sediment filter as well. Everything cost me 2.9k plus .35k plus .2k total 3.45k it took for me.

Pureit by HUL Advanced Max 6 L Mineral RO + UV + MF + MP Water Purifier with Mineral Cartridge

The above purifiers GKK filter has been changed by the technician day before yesterday.
He changed everything in the purifier and I don't know what they are. He also changed sediment filter as well. Everything cost me 2.9k plus .35k plus .2k total 3.45k it took for me.
for that much replace/repair price, by adding up to Rs.1000/- more you might be able to buy NEW Generic Water Filter. Brand service/replacement charges are like Bomb.

I have this water purifier at home. Need to replace the filter, but company charges 1100 for replacing it.

Does someone know which filter will be compatible with this? I found this one on Amazon, is this compatible?

KONVIO NEER 10 Inch High Density Spun Pre-Filter (5 Micron PP Spun) Cartridge Compatible for 10 Inch Pre-Filter Housing of All Water Purifier https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08K36NZSV
Usually the pre-filter is kept outside the RO unit. Hope it is the same for your unit also. If the pre-filter is bundled inside the RO unit then you need to remove the unit to check. As for the Amazon link you provided, I've been using those pre-filter and it is of very good quality. The pre-filter for my RO is outside the unit.

Usually the pre-filter is kept outside the RO unit. Hope it is the same for your unit also. If the pre-filter is bundled inside the RO unit then you need to remove the unit to check. As for the Amazon link you provided, I've been using those pre-filter and it is of very good quality. The pre-filter for my RO is outside the unit.
My purifier is not RO, it's just plain filter + UV

Back